Greenleaf's Sixth Annual Spring Fling Contest

Well, I might have guessed it would happen and rather sooner than later I think. Is anyone else finding this spring fling to be a bit of a challenge? I am. :unsure: This will be third year I've entered and in 2010 I knew exactly what I would do with the kit, never waivered, and I was totally happy with Hasan's place. In 2011 - same again I saw what I wanted to create as soon as I looked at the kit and again, La Luciole never waivered from my original concept. This one is waivering all over the place and its all been taken apart again today and reassembled differently with some extra bits. Not only did this mean I had to get out the big guns and saw wood again but I've had to make a new base as the first one no longer fits. Its still going to be the same thing but in a slightly different way. Oh my, you should see the state of the house again - and I'd just cleaned up so nicely in preparation for the actual glueing and decorating - now its more sanding and dry fitting and possibly more cutting of wood.

I wonder if its just me and the kit not seeing eye to eye or if its because after a few years of building you become more critical and selective about what you want to build - oh and ideas start to dry up maybe.

...after a few years of building you become more critical and selective about what you want to build - oh and ideas start to dry up maybe.
I definitely think we have acquired enough skills to become picky about what we want to do after we've tackled a couple of kits, but each kit has its own ideas about what it wants, and some kits seem to repeat the same ideas until you get farther into the build.

I did a lot of math over the weekend but ended up with great results, so it was worth it! :lol:

Jo, I've added to and altered mine, too...I just couldn't get it to work with what I wanted otherwise. I didn't bash Baslow Ranch at all and last year I bashed the heck out of Baxter Pointe Villa...this year is somewhere in between. But, I have been trying new materials and techniques, so my house is also a disaster. :D

I can't say I have lots of experience :) I don''t, but I think it's something about this kit. It seems to have a mind of its own and a desire to expand. The kit itself is so simple, opening so many possibilities.

• Like 1

Whatever I did with it didn't seem quite enough, it needed a bit more. Maybe it is because its a simple one roomed kit that I struggled - what could that one room be?????

It sounds as if quite a few of us have bashed the heck out of this little kit so there should be a huge variety of entries.

Good luck and fling on.

Most definitely agree with Daphne here. I was thinking the same thing then read her post. This years entry is like a little black dress. You can accessorize it with just about anything. And, like the women wearing the dress, this kit has a mind of its own and keeps changing it. It isn't our imaginations.

I know! Everytime I get my ideas firmed up something changes! lol. I did some painting so far, and some bashing. I have a better idea on what I want on the outside then what I want on the inside! There should be a lot of variety though when the contest is said and done. I think every year the goal gets higher as everyone gets "better". Some are great already. But our skill level goes up each year. We also challenge our selves more. Always a level of fear in that. :) But that is what makes us grow in our obsession craft! Fling On People, Fling On.

Can't type today 3rd edit. But then again....the vac broke vacumning, I broke a statue dusting, so what do I expect!!! lol

I play Word Whomp on Pogo. Last night one of the words was FLINGS......... go figure.

Today had to change hats. A daughter provided me with a lady to wash bird room walls. That lady brought her mother and sister so we had a crew. Last night I moved birds to smaller cages so cages could get scrubbed at the car wash by my daughter. One lady did an Old English treatment on my bedroom furniture. gosh, it looks nice here and there. the parts that don't look too good has dh supplies but I can live with that. still... Even with helpers my old bod knows it did too much and I hear my loveseat calling me to rest. :rolleyes:

Hope to 'fling' this evening. Poor little house is still in the box with trims in envelopes with descriptions written on outside. Still haven't gotten to play with nail gun to secure paper grass to the table where the house will live. That is probably what I will work with this evening. Sure hope so.

Hope everyone had a great Mothers Day.

((hugs))

Linda

I was very sad when I found out the kit/contest entry was valid only until April 17th. :( I found this site a little too late, but there's always next year.

According to the website [click here], the discounted prices are still available, and the contest doesn't end until Labor Day. Go for it, Deb!

• Like 1

According to the website [click here], the discounted prices are still available, and the contest doesn't end until Labor Day. Go for it, Deb!

True Kathie but doesn't include free postage, although I understand any order over $49 is free shipping so that really does still work. It only takes a phone call to check on everything.

I was very sad when I found out the kit/contest entry was valid only until April 17th. :( I found this site a little too late, but there's always next year.

I believe this was addressed a few pages ago. Everyone who buys the kit is welcome to enter. The only requirement is the main piece which is the one room structure. Submit three photos by the deadline and you're golden :)

A good rule of thumb with any issue with Greenleaf like this, ever, is they are the epitome of fairness and fun.

• Like 1

Um, yeah...well....about that... *blushes furiously* My poor little checking account had enough funds to purchase the kit, but not enough to purchase it and pay $15 s/h. :shy: At least not until Payday. But come 5/31, I'm going to be sorely tempted, that is if I'm not already hip-deep in plywood. lol

• Like 1

Um, yeah...well....about that... *blushes furiously* My poor little checking account had enough funds to purchase the kit, but not enough to purchase it and pay $15 s/h. :shy: At least not until Payday. But come 5/31, I'm going to be sorely tempted, that is if I'm not already hip-deep in plywood. lol

Geez Deb, here I thought you were different than the rest of us. No worries. Now you have time to plan! The rest of us had to wait in anticipation for weeks to even see the kit.

Be prepared to have the time of your life :)

• Like 1

My 'characters' arrived today!!! YEA! They are about as perfect as perfect can be for this scene. They soooo remind me of my sister and I in one of our infrequent, but inevitable moments of 'family disputes'. :pop: I'm not sure one room can hold all their ATTITUDE...LOL..but we're sure gonna try. The whole project just keeps crackin' me up..what fun!!! :D This one (unlike any of my other Flings)...is definitely PURELY for the FUN factor...any dollhouse realism went out the door with this one. It will just be one of those things that will make me chuckle every time I look at it. I even found a way to incorporate a mini version of a past Fling into it :groucho:

FLING ON!! :beer:

• Like 1

My poor fling is still sitting in the cabinet. It is in "time-out" until it makes up its mind about what it wants to be :sleep: These houses get more and more like spoiled children! My Litchfield is starting to make noises about her outside; after insisting she did NOT want siding, now she wants it or maybe brick! I'm so jealous of you guys with houses that know exactly what they want ;)

My fling sits in its box, supplies loaded on top, off in a corner. I think I know what I want to do with it, it is nice and simple, but I really have nowhere to put it right now. I hope I don't put it off too long - it is so much fun to come up with an idea totally on my own and then see how all of you either went in a completely different direction or just a unique variation of the same theme. I like sharing, but this is the one project a year where I really have to rely on myself and not be influenced by the other great ideas you all come up with.

Maybe it is the one room aspect that has me stuck: I want to cram so much into such a little space. And though the kit protests, I refuse to make it any bigger than it already is!

My 'characters' arrived today!!! YEA! They are about as perfect as perfect can be for this scene. They soooo remind me of my sister and I in one of our infrequent, but inevitable moments of 'family disputes'. :pop: I'm not sure one room can hold all their ATTITUDE...LOL..but we're sure gonna try. The whole project just keeps crackin' me up..what fun!!! :D This one (unlike any of my other Flings)...is definitely PURELY for the FUN factor...any dollhouse realism went out the door with this one. It will just be one of those things that will make me chuckle every time I look at it. I even found a way to incorporate a mini version of a past Fling into it :groucho:

FLING ON!! :beer:

Really looking forward to seeing this one, it sounds amazing.

Anyone built the greenhouse yet? I did mine today - funny isn't it - you dry fit and everything goes together like a dream - show it the glue bottle and it goes crazy crazy every which way. Seems like everything is challenging me this year but hey, I had similar problems with the staircase last year - spiderlegs - lol - but I now have a greenhouse on my fling - with glass in too - well acetate anyway - feeling pretty good that that bit is out of the way.

I have been puttering along on the greenhouse, Jo. It definitely requires some delicate manuevers to get the 'glass' in. I am using thicker plastic on mine simply because I like sturdier windows, but it does try my patience. I have had to make my own 'base/floor' for it as the thicker 'glass' changes the construction by enough degree that it will not work any other way. I LOVE the look so far, despise the process, so this will take me a while to finish. Am planning to add it to SF scene..but will wait and see how much of a tussle it is going to be. It may end up in a heap on the floor...stomped to death by my size 6-1/2 clogs!! "Take THAT, Tonto!!!" LOL

p.s. - My Fling won't be any showstopper for sure, and will no doubt only make sense to me...but it certainly will incorporate my twisted, silly side.

I cheated...no glass or screen in my greenhouse. :D But, I've given myself plenty of other challenges. <_<

I am back to egg carton bricks now...I don't think I'm allowed to build anything without them somewhere in the project. Seems like a contractual obligation somehow. :lol: