What's everyone working on?

Hi, Tara, go over to the Newcomers' Forum and introduce yourself and don't beat up on yourself so much. We have all been where you are. Next time try a kit that comes with instructions. The Greenleaf kits are really good about coming with instructions, as are the Corona Concepts kits. The only things I recommend people do different from the instructions is to use a good carpenter's wood glue instead of the hot glue to stick it together and to apply it sparingly; and not to seal it with shellac; primer or stain work just as well. I use regular premixed wallpaper paste to stick mini wallpaper to the walls, it works fine if you apply it to the primed, sanded wall, and allows you "wiggle room" to get the paper nice and flat and straight. Also, if you first build the kit using masking tape instead of glue (what we call the "dry fit") the build will go better.

Hang in there ! We have all done that been there........and I still am! What worked for me for my walls was to use fabric...........use Wonder Under (double sided fusible web) and attach it to card stock. Be sure to put the wonder under on the fabric first, peel, then iron onto the card stock. then I used wallpaper paste Worked great. I also made patterns of complicated walls by taping little pieces of paper over the area, getting into all the corners etc, remove and use as a pattern. With fabric for wall covering, after you paste it to the wall, you can use masking tape around the edges to hold those pesky areas down while it dries, inside the house, you can just crease the tape in the edges really helps. One thing you might consider for your first house is find something very simple to learn what works best for y ou first.

hang in there and keep trying. It will work. you can also do a search on these forums ............and look for posts with your questions on it!

Cheryl

t

I tried to do a cottage I picked up at a swap meet, but I really didn't have much luck. I joined to watch the chatter here in case I caught good tips on this and that. Right now I'm just making stuff for rooms in the hopes that someday I'll mess up less :( The inside was too complicated I think. Strange angles all over the place, oddball interior. I tried wallpaping it and it looked awful! Ugh. I'm not too good right now at whole house interiors. I tried real wallpaper glue and it just didnt' work well no matter what I did. I'm too much of a novice right now. I do fine with small projects, and enjoy making things for the inside of the houses. Perhaps I should just give up the dream and focus on that.

Cheryl thank you for sharing how you do your walls with fabric. I saw how you used it in your Garfield and was just amazed. I would never have known your walls weren't specialty wallpaper if you hadn't said anything.

It's been awhile since I've really posted anything or even worked on anything mini. Two weeks ago I was in Boston for business and I finally got to take a tour of Orchard House, home of Louisa May Alcott. I about cried! I was so happy to be able to walk through the house and see the belongings of my favorite author. Needless to say it spurred me on to finalize plans for my dream dollhouse, a mini replica of Orchard House. I ordered a set of saltbox dollhouse plans for a jumping off point and am anxiously awaiting their arrival to start. I think I will be combining solid walls and hollow wall construction for this house. So many things to really think about but I'm now one step closer.

I decide just to decorate one dollhouse this Christmas and only inside. I chose Sunnybrook Farm since it was a long time since it had "hosted" a Christmas party. It took a long time to decorate and set up and find places for about 100 little people! It was a lot of fun -- now I just have to get my "real" house looking this good!

I posted pictures on my blog and on Webshots and you can see everyone having a great time!

B)

Hello folks.

I've been away for quite a while..since the beginning of Summer, I believe. I needed to take time away from working on my dollhouses, in order to concentrate on RL issues I could no longer ignore. I did peek in to read, here and there, but I was afraid that if I posted any more than once or twice, to admire someone's gallery, I'd soon get sucked into playing, and once again, my RL stuff would be ignored.

Now I'm back, and it looks like I have a lot of catching up to do! So many new members! I'm sure going to be busy in the next few days, just reading new profiles and familiarizing myself with everyone's work! OMG I missed this forum soooo much.

So what am I working on? I have two houses that need to be finished: A GL Chantilly in 1:12 size. I call that one Tilly..and a RGT EastSide Townhouse, same scale, that I have named Moggie Manor. I do have a few pics of each in my gallery, but nothing up to date. I've been working on them for a couple of weeks now, so there ARE a few things to show you. I'll remedy that in a few days.

For now I'll be concentrating on the townhouse. It's theme is explained in my gallery. I'm still undecided on the theme for the Tilly.

I'm doing the townhouse in Brownstone style, and just before I dropped out of sight, I had the exterior assembled (except for the doors), and the interior partly papered. Yes it is wired for electricity. But I have a major booboo to correct on the third floor: I set in a wall, not realizing that it would cross the third floor window. (doh) This happened because I put the wall in months ago, but only recently got the doors on. So now I must take my heat gun, rip out that wall, and shift it to the left about 3/4 of an inch. (This is what happens when you don't FOCUS on the house as a whole, instead of going at it piecemeal.)

But at least the Exterior is finally assembled, and except for anchoring the two chimneys (I've ordered an extra so I have one at each side of the house's roof)...and the addition of extra exterior window sills..the house is painted. It's a funny color, a rosy brown, but I like it. Windows are black and the frames shiny, to add some lustre to contrast with the dull finish of the exterior. I actually want to dusty and grime the outside a bit..brownstone buildings take a beating in the city, and usually have soot on them somewhere.

I'll add a picture of Moggie Manor to my gallery tonite, if I can figure out how to do it. I remember having trouble posting to it before I left...the forum had moved, and many were having issues with getting their pictures posted. And since I've been gone for a while, a lot of how-to has also leaked from my brain. So I'm like a raw newbie flailing around, trying to get my bearings.

OHHHH I am so glad to be back! I missed everyone! RL sucks when it takes you away from something you want to do.

Hugs to everyone!

Merri/Jeanne

:flowers: Welcome back Jeanne! You've been gone for much too long. Can't wait to see what you've been up to.

Well folks, the Willow Firehouse is finally finished, and none too soon for me. Between the house for his sister and this one for Vincent, I haven't seen the top of my dining room table since February! I managed to get it stabalized enough to move it for Thanksgiving week, and the last of the construction bits were done then. Did some touch-up sanding and painting on it yesterday, and today I'll apply the final coat of polyurethane to the roof and I'll be finished - well in advance of Xmas :xmas_tree: . I am however waiting for one last piece, a fireman's coat, to go in the locker. After that, it's up to Mommy and Daddy to supply the interior details. As soon as I get the last piece in place I'll take some pics. Hope it comes today so I can get on with something for me.

Everyone has been busy!!

Judith, the crowds of revellers at Sunnybrook Farm look so happy, I don't see how you'll get them all to leave after Christmas! :D The place looks so festive and inviting.

Jeanne, we all know how RL can interfere with our minis - glad to see you've managed to get through the crunch. Welcome back.

Judith/Ravenswing, I'm looking forward to seeing those pics! Vincent is such a lucky boy.

The party-goers usually don't leave until well into the new year. I have to admit that I hate to see them go. Even though they are just "little people" , it's nice to see happiness anywhere one can find it!:thumb:

B)

Well, I had to put away all my DH stuff for Christmas. :( My Litchfield decided to stop talking to me altogether so I've put her on the shelf until she decides what she wants to do. I have a surprise coming for Christmas so I'm not allowed to order another house which is exciting and frustrating at the same time <_< I'm going to try my hand at some of the Lydia Pickett kits I've gotten in the mail from Judith in the UK. They are small (sorry, I just couldn't resist) so I should be able to get some satisfaction out of getting something done :yes:

You guys are not helping BTW with all the fantastic Glencroft pics! I want one really, really, really badly :yes:

Oh Sarah, I do hope the Litchfield will stop ignoring you. Maybe if you show her pretty pictures of finished dollhouses, she'll relent?

I have only five (that's 5!) pieces left to glue onto my stove kit. I have to finish it before the cleaning ladies come... they are a rather determined duo who refuse to be intimidated by my craftroom/office. I'm always afraid that some of my kit parts will end up in the great vacuum cleaner bag in the sky.

After that I have to decide on a color, and I am also scratch building another stove... got the basic structure done on that one.

Oh Sarah, I do hope the Litchfield will stop ignoring you. Maybe if you show her pretty pictures of finished dollhouses, she'll relent?

I have only five (that's 5!) pieces left to glue onto my stove kit. I have to finish it before the cleaning ladies come... they are a rather determined duo who refuse to be intimidated by my craftroom/office. I'm always afraid that some of my kit parts will end up in the great vacuum cleaner bag in the sky.

After that I have to decide on a color, and I am also scratch building another stove... got the basic structure done on that one.

OMG Cat...get a BIG LOCK for your workroom door. I shudder to think what you might miss if those two get in there. Unless they are mini-enthusiasts themselves, how can they tell if that little triangle of wood is or isn't 'junk'? Or that scrap of fabric, or the few special lengths of trim? I froth at the mouth at the very thought of letting anyone 'clean' in my work area.

Seriously though, I envy those who have workrooms. The living area is my workroom, although I also sleep there. (can't do stairs) So poor Zeb can sit in his recliner and look out over a sea of rubble that is my craft table and cupboards. I have one much like Fibber McGee's closet..open it at your own peril. It's more of a boobytrap than a storage locker, these days.

I don't have much say about it, they are a "gift" for my mother. After my mother's accident last February, my sister and I hired a cleaning crew to help out. I'm never home when they are here. For now, I just have to clean up any valuable bits and hope for the best. I'm looking for my own place, but until I find one... I have to be tidy. Sort of.

Made a couple of magical little creatures, ones an elf (rather a Dickensian sort of elf) called Cornelius Spindleshanks and the other is a dwarf called Samuel Snuckleweed and despite being very different they are the best of friends (they also buy their socks from the same shop)

post-4015-0-67113100-1323297642_thumb.jp

Well of course I love em, Jo, LOL! :thumb: I missed seeing your little people pop out of your mind and into the clay! Guess I'll have to go poke around in your gallery to see the new stuff!

those are wonderful!! cute faces and wonderfully made outfits!!

Made a couple of magical little creatures, ones an elf (rather a Dickensian sort of elf) called Cornelius Spindleshanks and the other is a dwarf called Samuel Snuckleweed and despite being very different they are the best of friends (they also buy their socks from the same shop)