What's everyone working on?

Jo, just so you know... I have a serious crush on your aviator. What a hunk!

I have decided to work on my Florist. As long as I've had it, I had planned for it to be a shop but never did anything with it beyond the basics. It finally occurred to me that maybe a Florist wasn't the best idea. Sooo... it will be a 2 room house instead. Nothing exciting, I have a handful of really nice pieces of furniture that I will decorate around. I have a ton of flowers from the Florist that never was, which I will use both inside and out. I haven't worked in 1/12th in ages, so this will be a nice change. It will also be nearly instant gratification, something I am definitely not used to.

If anyone has some extra little elves or fairies or anything, could you pleeeasee send them my way? Or, Aaron, could you and your partner come down here to Atlanta real quick? Y'all did such an amazing (and fast) job on the Brookwood you just did. I am seriously running out of time for this dollhouse, and I just can't make myself do it. :(

Well, I was informed today that I am making 2 more dollhouses for people. <sigh>

The first was via text message to my mom from big sister of niece who just received the Nob Hill:

Granny, I really love the dollhouse. Can you make me one for my birthday please?

She's turning 11, so I thought I'd be off the hook for her. Guess not. Birthday is in 2 1/2 months, guess I need to start looking for a house for her...

The second was Mama's friend, who had heard all about me and my dollhouses, but I guess didn't get it. When she saw the picture of the Nob Hill, she said she was "blown away" and had no idea. So, she wants one for her great-granddaughter. (I expected this would come eventually from her, if she ever saw one.) But she said I don't have to be in a big hurry for this one, I can take up to a year because she isn't ready to give it to her yet. Yeah, I would imagine not, seeing as she's not EVEN born yet! :)

I'm going to work on the Aster today, i want to finish the paperclay stonework. i'd like to get the paint finished on the interior and exterior. After that not sure. i'm in the mode to get working on the Foxhall again, i have a bedroom that i need to finish the wood flooring in.

:)

Finally got a moment to work on the house last weekend. Wasn't much time, but I was able to install the 2nd floor deck onto the Tudor house. I still have over a dozen circuits to solder to the main wire bundle, but that will be the last step before I can turn on all of the first floor lights. Parquet flooring will be next on the list of things to work on.

I'm finally working on my Orchid. It is ready for glue but I'm a bit nervous I'm going to really mess it up. This is the first die-cut kit I have ever built...so I'm a little hesitant but everything has gone well so far. I didn't like doing the scribing work for the floors but I loved the result!!! And scribing is quicker and easier than cutting strips of wood, staining them then gluing down :ohyeah: .

I was hoping building the Orchid would get me ready to build my Glencroft then move on to my Garfield...but I think I want a little more practice with a smaller house and may get the Sugarplum Cottage or maybe the Storybook Cottage first. I guess I'll use any excuse to get more dollhouses. :blush:

And I already have my Christmas list started for 2012 and at the top is the Willowcrest, there is just something about that house I love.

. I guess I'll use any excuse to get more dollhouses. :blush: .

:o What?? Excuse?? Excuses are needed to get dollhouses?? :unsure: What...who...I demand to know when the memo went out! :angry: No one told me anything about excuses! :no: (And it's a darn good thing too, cause I got to spend with impunity!):sleazy:

:o What?? Excuse?? Excuses are needed to get dollhouses?? :unsure: What...who...I demand to know when the memo went out! :angry: No one told me anything about excuses! :no: (And it's a darn good thing too, cause I got to spend with impunity!):sleazy:

:roflmao: If only I could adopt this attitude...it would make my life sooo much easier. But that darn inner voice gets so loud sometimes, demanding I come up with a good reason to take in more houses.

I'm working on everything, a little here, a little there. Today I am figuring out my budget for 2012, which crazy as it sounds, is great fun for me. I'm just not sure what percentage I should allocate to hobbies. Clothing is 4 to 6 %, easy peasy. I probably won't spend that much. But hobbies? 6% doesn't sound nearly enough... but maybe I've been spending too much? :o Doesn't seem possible! What sounds like a reasonable amount to spend on miniatures per month... not counting the "OMG I just had to get it" moments or Greenleaf sales? I plan to finish projects this year, but I'll still need tools and materials to do so. :hmm:

Let me help you with your budget calculations, Kathryn. First you figure out how much is needed for the necessities, such as food, lodging, and utilities. And the rest can be allocated for minis! See how easy that was? :roflmao:

I'm working on a rather fun project - making space for my Museum of Miniatures! We have a bay window in the living room, with a porch roof outside so the direct sunlight never hits the window. Ever since the house was built 11 years ago I've wished we had a shelf that goes all the way across. Well -- it was built and installed yesterday :construction:. Today I am sanding and painting it, and should be able to move the Museum to it very soon. Unfortunately I'll be working at a Trade Show all weekend so I might not finish until Monday. (Actually, that's not "unfortunate" - really need a paycheck about now!)

Let me help you with your budget calculations, Kathryn. First you figure out how much is needed for the necessities, such as food, lodging, and utilities. And the rest can be allocated for minis! See how easy that was? :roflmao:

That's pretty much been my MO for years :groucho: , but... I've got aLOT of hobbies. It gets expensive, fun but expensive. Maybe 4% for each hobby?

Think, think, think... I feel like Winnie the Pooh. think, think, think.

I'm working on everything, a little here, a little there. Today I am figuring out my budget for 2012, which crazy as it sounds, is great fun for me. I'm just not sure what percentage I should allocate to hobbies. Clothing is 4 to 6 %, easy peasy. I probably won't spend that much. But hobbies? 6% doesn't sound nearly enough... but maybe I've been spending too much? :o Doesn't seem possible! What sounds like a reasonable amount to spend on miniatures per month... not counting the "OMG I just had to get it" moments or Greenleaf sales? I plan to finish projects this year, but I'll still need tools and materials to do so. :hmm:

I'm not sure any of us would or could explain how much we spend on minis and mini supplies. My budget has been cut drastically since I retired but when I was working I generally bought what I wanted. I'm sure I no longer spend huge amounts on actual minis - more supplies these days.

I once tried to keep a record on how much I spent on minis when I first joined the community. It was frightening. I have cut way back since that time. I guess I see a budget as less of a punishment and more as a way of determining priorities. If my budget for miniatures is 12% of my take home pay, I'll be pickier in where and how I spend that money than if I had a "blank check". Most people don't budget, I get that. No harm, no foul. I just see my budget allowing me to best choose which of my houses will get the most attention first. Otherwise I wander from project to project and nothing ever gets done... and I would like to complete a couple of things... just to see what it's like.

CJ, I love your Museum! I just had a chance to look at it this afternoon.

I don't budget by the year (or even month) but I do like to know what I'm getting into when I start a project. So far over the past 3 years I've spent over $4,000 on material for the Tudor house. It will cost about $6,000 more to complete, but most of that is just for the lighting. At the moment I have a small surplus in my lumber stack, so I haven't had to spend a dime on it since last summer. I will have to go shopping soon though. Besides keeping all of my receipts, I also keep a log of the time I spend on each part of the house.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this week off of work! yay! unfortunately it's going by too fast.....

Anyway, i finally finished laying the wood flooring in the last bedroom and in the den of the Foxhall. i stained some wood for two different projects. Not sure what i will work on today but i do want to clean up my dollhouse rooms...so i'll at least get a start on both of those projects but definately want some time for dollhousing!

Lately I haven't gotten much mini-ing done. I've put together a few more pieces of furniture kits for my Lydia Pickett Hill, and I started cutting out the wallpaper for the top floor of the Arthur, The bottom floor is practically finished except trim work and when that's done I can make the counters permanent.

The Fairfield keeps talking to me though, it's very distracting. So I started making a list of things I'd like to do to it and what I still need to purchase before I can get to it. LIghts come to mind but they are so hard to find that don't look super bulky but I've managed to form a list for every room and if I work on the bottom floor first I can purhcase only enough lights for that and save up for the rest. I'd like to make the floors slide in and out so that I can mark where I want the lights and continue building and when I have the money for more lights I can add them then.We'll see though.

Kris over at the http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/ has some wonderful tutorials I want to try. Her newest one for the kitchen counters is exactly what I want for the Fairfield. I'm going to play around with it and see if I can convert it to half scale, and then maybe tackle that bed. Just amazing what she can do with matboard and card.

I finally got everything finished in our RL living room so I can display my latest house - the Musuem of Miniatures. We had a carpenter build a shelf across the sills of the Bay Window - which I have wanted ever since the house was built! So now the Museum can be seen from the inside and the outside of the house. It's protected from the direct sunlight by the overhanging porch roof.

post-4286-0-99413600-1326919426_thumb.jp

Took this picture this morning - our first real snowfall of the year :) In the evening I turn on the Museum lights and it is delightful to look at!

That shelf is perfect for displaying your minis. You could rotate them as the fancy takes you.

I've just finished a gift doll for a friend. It supposed to be her son who has just come out of the army - hence the crew cut but I'm not much of a portrait artist. I hope she likes him.

That shelf is perfect for displaying your minis. You could rotate them as the fancy takes you.

I've just finished a gift doll for a friend. It supposed to be her son who has just come out of the army - hence the crew cut but I'm not much of a portrait artist. I hope she likes him.

post-4015-0-33908900-1326924368_thumb.jp