What's everyone working on?

28 minutes ago, miniaddicted said:

Grazhina - your house and the landscaping are really stunning. Landscaping takes as much creativity as the house, IMO. The paperclay stones blend perfectly. Will you be using paperclay for the steps and path also? 

Anna - its so gratifying to see something you've futzed with for a long time come together, isn't it? Looks very nice, and like it was easy as pie (even though I know it wasn't!).

So true, it is really coming together one detail after another, almost so that I am stalling as just not to be finished...

hugs

Heidi, yes, I am using paperclay to continue the steps and walkway, but it's kind of hard to explain what I'm doing in words. I've completed one step platform and a couple of stepping stones so far, will post a picture as soon as I'm done with the walkway. 

We went to Goodwill today. Of course there wasn't anything for minis, but I have been trying to find some of those bamboo placemats that used to be everywhere, in case I decide to make bamboo shades for my ryokan. Well, all I've been able to find for months are plastic bamboo ones, and I didn't want those. I couldn't find sushi wrappers anywhere either, which would have been a good substitute.

Today Goodwill had some unused bamboo beach mats. They aren't stitched up as well as the placemats, but the bamboo is tiny like in the placemats, so it should be in scale. Anyway, I bought one, so now I have tons of bamboo to play with!

although I havent posted I have been lurking...a few things to share...

The Taft build came to a complete halt 2 days after I got the upstairs floor finished when our Mini enabler friend Deb found the amazing glass tiles she used in one of her builds that I love for the floor but in BLUE"S...yanno like the perfect coordinating.... like made for the furniture she did for the room! SIGH!!! now that we have finally connected a few days ago and I have the tiles I get the dubious pleasure of undoing all that I did....lol because THOSE tiles have to be on the floor..

I finally have 1 of the set of beaded curtains done...went with long side strands and short through the middle...less work cuz it sure do get tedious....

found some metal oval napkin rings at GoodWill...yanno what I saw...yup a nice side table perhaps with a mosaic...got a set of 8... 

he finally got me some plywood for bases and has one cut for the Queen but we havent put it on yet.  I think Id like to paint it green before I set the house on it because I dont think Ill take it off again...speaking of the Queen...after our initial Honeymoon period...we have settled down into what really has to be changed...and I think the house wants to be white...I have to many blue houses and its too big to be a purple house although with the white I may have touches of Lavender...  my next fun thing for her is to make hanging ferns for the porches...how I loved those porches back in Mo! 

loving all the wonderful progress photos as always inspiring!

:cheers:

Dry fit of the soaker tub which is a replica of my Vero Beach house tub (second pic). I'm such a copycat. The tub is made from a Tupperware mold (I think it was a butter dish top that I found at Goodwill for $1) and paperclay. The paper template on the top is for the plexiglass Silestone I hope to make tomorrow. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

I finished the paperclay steps and path. To make the piles of little stones that hold up each step I pushed a small flattened piece of paperclay cut to size into the space, then drew in some lines to delineate the stones. When the paperclay was dry i sanded gently with an emery board to remove any bumps left behind by my knife. The stones were painted individually with color washes, etc.  I cut, shaped and painted a small piece of stripwood into a stone step for the front porch. Doing mini landscaping is really relaxing, except for when I burn myself with the hot glue. 

IMG_1846.JPG

• Like 1

I hit my  strip wood supply hot & heavy today to make Brimble's downstairs ceiling.  I sectioned it off into 3" squares  I found some pointed lace trim in the stash that I cut apart and have begun to glue into open squares in alternate spaces, with a shaped sequin in the open center.  When it's all finished Ill paint it all white.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grazhina said:

I finished the paperclay steps and path. To make the piles of little stones that hold up each step I pushed a small flattened piece of paperclay cut to size into the space, then drew in some lines to delineate the stones. When the paperclay was dry i sanded gently with an emery board to remove any bumps left behind by my knife. The stones were painted individually with color washes, etc.  I cut, shaped and painted a small piece of stripwood into a stone step for the front porch. Doing mini landscaping is really relaxing, except for when I burn myself with the hot glue. 

IMG_1846.JPG

Paperclay is becoming my favorite material to work with.

Kathi, when I'm all done I'm going to take it outside amongst the shrubbery for a proper picture. I kept getting a tiny niggling feeling now and then that I was making the house and landscaping too neat - too pretty, but my head tells me that if the house was in the woods where it belongs it would look just right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grazhina said:

Kathi, when I'm all done I'm going to take it outside amongst the shrubbery for a proper picture. I kept getting a tiny niggling feeling now and then that I was making the house and landscaping too neat - too pretty, but my head tells me that if the house was in the woods where it belongs it would look just right.

That's exactly where I pictured it just by looking at the landscaping, so you must be doing something right!

Grazhina - that is much like what I pictured you would do - will be anxious to see it outside.

23 hours ago, Sable said:

Dry fit of the soaker tub which is a replica of my Vero Beach house tub (second pic). I'm such a copycat. The tub is made from a Tupperware mold (I think it was a butter dish top that I found at Goodwill for $1) and paperclay. The paper template on the top is for the plexiglass Silestone I hope to make tomorrow.

Sable - very nice tub(s)! Love the shaped Silestone!

I rearranged my old office on the 2nd floor (I worked from home before) so I could move a dollhouse up to it. Then hubby asked me if the Thornhill would fit through all the stairs and doorways. Um...well. So i made a basic posterboard template of the footprint of the house so we could pretend carry it. Its in the basement, so its got to make it up 2 flights and around tight corners. We pretty much concluded it won't make the final turn into my office - basically its a square U from the top of the stairs into my office. :(  The only other thought we had was to stand it up so width of 46 is the height. But its a very heavy house and I'm not sure if we could manage to tip it and still keep a hold on it. 

Then I suggested I'd move my Seaside Villa. That footprint is even more awkward...so I doubt that one will work. Final choice is my new Chateau. Its narrow, its light, and we can easily stand it up to make that last turn into the room. So I suspect thats what we are going to do. That means that when I get to working on it, I will work on it up there. But that will not be very soon - the French Country Manor will be keeping me busy for the next many months. 

• Like 1

So, I cut out the plexiglass with my mini table saw and it was perfect. I used my Dremel sander to carve the two curves. I was so excited that it was coming out so nicely. Then I cleaned it up and was all set to apply the textured paint and it flew up in the air as if it had wings and bounced on the concrete garage floor and broke into three pieces. Boo hoo!  Unfortunately, gluing it back together messed up the total effect. Tomorrow is another day.

Oh, Sable!  {{hug}}

Grazhina, I think the yard is just right.  The cottage looks bright, clean and brand new sparkling white.  If' you're looking for old I'd think about washing it with water with a drop or two of ochre in it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

If' you're looking for old I'd think about washing it with water with a drop or two of ochre in it.

Thanks for the reminder, Holly. Earlier on I was thinking about what I wanted to use for aging the plaster a bit, but decided to put it off till the end when I could see the full effect. I'd forgotten about that.

8 hours ago, grazhina said:

Thanks for the reminder, Holly. Earlier on I was thinking about what I wanted to use for aging the plaster a bit, but decided to put it off till the end when I could see the full effect. I'd forgotten about that.

I personally like it all clean and white, but that's me. I guess it depends on the interior decor/theme.

• Like 1

Its been in the 60s here all last week so I have been doing all those once a year projects, power washed and painted the deck, cleaned the basement, cleaned the SUV, went thru stuff I have been meaning to give away,  donated 6 bags of clothing & coats, washing windows, even started a Hydroponic garden I always wanted to try it, we watched several you tube videos, and went with the easiest one put out by university of Florida, no pumps and no hoses. Did I mention I am a bit wore out?

Put my husband to work making bakery bread, with his one hand.  Surgery recovery time makes him crazy, so he has taken over my workspace making tiny bakery foods.

I found a bunch of tutorials for him, and met a nice lady in Olathe coincidently, who uses polymer clay to make small foods, she gave him a bunch of tips.

no pics yet. 

Sable, that tub is so nice!

• Like 2

I'm making steady progress on my micro-village. Decided to name it Minikin Township. :) Major learning curve! I've never done such extensive landscaping; only little bits and dabs around a house. I bought some street lights and cars with lighted headlights/taillights and am planning a trip to the hobby shop in Silverdale to learn how to hook them up properly. 

I've started an album --

Well, one more thing has changed with the upgrade! :cry:  I have no idea now how to insert a connection to my own pictures, the menu I used to use is gone. If you want to see the pictures, the album is called Minikin Township.  

• Like 1