What's everyone working on?

Well, since I couldn't work on the oil-painted bricks I painted the exterior of the display house.  I used the same color scheme as my San Fran rehab since I had a lot of the paint left over...so the exterior is the sage green, the window trim will be mustard yellow with some white and the front door will be burgundy.

Also starting work on the roof/attic prepping for the addition of the insulation.  :)

That's a bummer Jackie but I am glad you are making the best of it. When I paint myself into a corner like that, I usually pull out a mini kit I've picked up along the way, like a Bonnie Lavish flower kit, just to keep the mini mojo going.while I wait. The good news is, I bet that oil paint finish is going to look fabulous!

Mike love the snooker table and benches.

I painted the dormers by trial and error, started out with light colors, light grey, creams but the grey stippling ended up being exactly what works!

I also glued the patio stones down and spackled. Paint is next. 

large.IMG_20160512_161831.jpg.2e40760d04

• Like 2

Heidi those dormers are amazing!

My daughter has been wanting me to make a bakery - I found a partially built orchid,and I've been reworking it - I'm basing it on some of the bakeries we would walk to when we lived in England.  It's a compilation, we lived there a few times, a few villages.

my husband had surgery a week ago, and I had this silly idea that he would sleep and I would have time to work on  it ... Finally found some time - also, we had a huge hail storm that lasted 15 minutes and did 36,000.00 in damage to roofs, sheds, fences, etc, to just my property, my whole little town is needing roofs.  So, our town is invaded with roofing companies, just knocking on doors.  Luckily we have good insurance, and we've finally chosen a contractor.

The dormer windows I couldn't figure out the window frames, I had a headache, and just ripped them out, patched them, finished the ceiling - and turned it around and hated the exterior - agh.  So, I figured out something while driving home from the surgery, and had to wait until a few days ago to try -  used the Cricut to cut layers, and glued them together to make acceptable frames.  Decided I wanted them to be stained glass, and used lead tape and gallery glass.  And cut the dormer holes back out - it's what I pictured when I was planning, so I am very happy.

today I had an idea using the Cricut to make the stair - well, not rails, the flat area where spindles would be, what would that be called?  Had a few hours, yay!  

Now I just need to pick paint colors, and to decide wood, or paint for the stair well.

He has a dr appt tomorrow, contractor stuff Saturday, mowing Sunday, maybe just maybe, I will be able to get back to it monday

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=7621

Wow Sharon- sounds like you and your family have gone thru a lot lately!   Hope your hubby's recovery goes well and that all of your property damage gets repaired with minimal fuss.

14 hours ago, smjsome said:

So, I figured out something while driving home from the surgery, and had to wait until a few days ago to try -  used the Cricut to cut layers, and glued them together to make acceptable frames.  Decided I wanted them to be stained glass, and used lead tape and gallery glass.  And cut the dormer holes back out - it's what I pictured when I was planning, so I am very happy.

Sharon - I love this look! 

• Like 1

Heidi, you are the Queen of Stippling!  Roxy, tapas are wonderful!  Generally when you go to a tapas bar the price of the meal includes two hot dishes and a cold, or two cold and a hot.  There used to be one in downtown Charleston, SC, but it's gone now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

Looks great Mike!   My ignorance is showing but what is a Tapas bar???   I like it though! 

I was in Spain last year and their Tapas are different from the Tapas we have in the States. Here they are small plates, like appetizers (humus, olives, mini meatballs, a few slices of beef, shrimp) ordered from a menu. In Spain, there are various dishes of small portions of stylized food set up on a bar and you pick what you want, kind of cafeteria style. Nibble food.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Heidi, you are the Queen of Stippling!

You may regret that, Holly! That's my new byline.

Finished the patio stones. The courtyard wall and decorations are painted, need to secure them in place. Working on the quoins, have first coat of stippling on them. Thank you to whoever mentioned glue dots - I've had them for years and must have spaced them out. They were exactly what I needed to position the quoins to see if the coloring was working. 

I have the trim - roof edge and soffit trim - to cut and glue on the wings of the house. I'm hesitating in case I move forward with any work on the beamed ceiling for the kitchen, since that top attic space is removable. 

I took this photo with my Nexus 7 tablet, but now I see it looks blurry and grainy...so I fiddled with it in this text box - using the control and right click, and downsized it. Learn something new every day!

large.IMG_20160514_101941.jpg.c2e9116953

large.IMG_20160514_102038.jpg.d101a09c7f

• Like 2

Heidi, loooooove the look and the byline is very well desreved!

over here I managed to make the printed to finish the Kitty Tardis. It was a LOT of fun doing that. 

large.image.jpg.50284589f129e42b8f7125fd

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

If I can be the Queen of Spackle, Heidi can be the Queen of Stippling.  Anna, I love your Tardis!  Wasn't there an episode with the new Doctor with cat people?

I think there is, Kitty nurses? Hmmm, need to look into that and see what Might come out of that. Wish I remembered where I saw these lovley animal mini people. I know Wolfie made some, but there were someone else too, but My memory and searches are just turning up blanks.hugs

I remember an article in one of the miniature magazines from several years ago featuring an artisan who made dressed animal dolls; I recall a group of elegant Victorian feline ladies at a tea table. 
The cat nurses was the story I was thinking of.

• Like 1

I've been working on the landscaping. The white area in the photos is where I'm going to work in the steps and path. I added a railing/shelf to the porch for herb pots or berry picking baskets, etc. The stones are paperclay, I'd never tried paperclay stones before and am pleased with how they turned out, especially after I added tiny bits of greenery between them. I wanted a nice dry area for a bench for sitting in the sunshine. Other materials I used were sheet moss, 2 kinds of reindeer moss, some plastic greenery, some dried greenery and little plastic flower bits, except for the plant closest to the door. I used a small 1" scale potted plant, just broke off the pot and "planted" the flowers. I also cut a couple of thin sheets of household sponge that I painted green to add a little more change in texture near the porch.

IMG_1841.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

• Like 2

Today was supposed to be a sort of girls Mother's Day fun activity, nearly a week late due to family obligation issues. We've had such gorgeous weather all week that we decided to hit the nursery for fun pots and little plants, then hit the thrift store to see what kind of fairy dwellings we could come up with - like teacups and saucers like I saw on a Facebook post.

Alas, mom called last night to say that the new Mexican restaurant they ate at had a very adverse reaction to her tummy, and that a 1-1/2 hour car ride to get here just wasn't in the cards. So then the festivities would be left to me and my 28 year old daughter. She was to be here by 11:00, and is now 1-1/2 hours late. And the weather has decided to completely cloud over, get very cool, and possibly rain later.

I have decided to make lemonade. I will break out the Greenleaf Village kits and start to create several fairy dwellings by myself until anyone else decides to join me. If they decide to join me. If not, I'll have a lovely time all by myself and remember that not everyone gets as excited about this crafty stuff as I do!

Hope you all get to bask in your own brand of fulfilling creativity, whatever it may be! :O)

Thank you, Kathi. Sharon, I cut the roof boards from a sheet of thin unfinished veneer. It's the same thickness as the thinnest basswood sheets at hobby stores, 1/16th inch, I think.Each board has one straight edge and one wavy edge. After I glued them into place I brushed on same Minwax walnut stain, a few boards at a time, and firmly rubbed off the excess with a cloth till I wound up with the color I liked.

• Like 2

It is looking great Grazhina! Love the roofing as well.

i have been fiddling with finishing the greenhouse that attaches to the lighthouse Wall. We are finally Happy with it now so will need to install the "glass" material (ie plastic) to it and call it Done.

large.image.jpg.8d2c53b29164b57a75d5dae6

• Like 6

Grazhina - your house and the landscaping are really stunning. Landscaping takes as much creativity as the house, IMO. The paperclay stones blend perfectly. Will you be using paperclay for the steps and path also? 

Anna - its so gratifying to see something you've futzed with for a long time come together, isn't it? Looks very nice, and like it was easy as pie (even though I know it wasn't!).

• Like 2