What's everyone working on?

12 hours ago, havanaholly said:

It's not the installation of the finished stairs that has me muttering; the instructions describe assembly in an upright position, but the only picture shows the whole assembly in some stage of togetherness that bears no resemblance to what I have so far, and laying on its back or side.  Some sort of "exploded"  diagram showing how the parts fit together would be nice, as would step-by-step photos or pictures.  These kits finish up too pretty not to have more detailed instructions.  I guess I'm back to playing with the pieces until I get them together and looking roughly like the photo.

I too did suffer the staircase drama with the Brimbles. In the end, I did the staircase without the chuncky railing 'thingy' and only added the steps. FYI, there's difference between the treads and risers. And I agreed, 'exploded' views are needed and the instructions needed to be updates with better pictures or sketches. Good luck! 

• Like 1

I separated the treads from the risers and got those and the narrow stringers sanded using the belt sander and a light touch to remove the splintery bits, and my sanding block on the rest of the pieces. I don't know if I'll use the railings, but I have a lifetime's supply of fancy wooden cocktail picks that work nicely for balusters.

I'm not big on stairs in my houses (they're usually on the 4th wall in my little world) so I didn't do the Brimbles staircase.  I considered using the Greenleaf exterior stairs kit that's sold individually at the web store and putting them on the side wall after cutting out the window to become a door but for some reason I never got around to it.  If anyone can get those stairs to work properly, it would be you Holly!  I'm cheering you on from here!   :cheer:

I haven't been up to much in the way of minis in the past few days.  Bruce and I went to a small local craft fair on Friday and while there wasn't a lot of walking, I pulled something of importance in my knee so I haven't been moving around much.  Yesterday I went stir crazy and sat on the patio loveseat with my leg propped up while I got a mini fix by making a couple more fairy gardens in planters.  I finally got a bonsai tree so my mini mudmen have a home again too.  Yay!  <grinning>  It may not be dollhouses but at least it was miniature and any day with a miniature in it is a good one!

Amy, that potting shed is all kinds of awesome!!!!!!  I'll be eagerly awaiting more eye candy as it progresses.  :drool2:

• Like 3

Deb, my initial thought was to put the stairs in the invisible back half of Brimble's, and if I can't get them together properly that's exactly where they'll go!  Thank you!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kathi17 said:

Your potting shed is going to be beautiful Amy!

Thank you, Kathi!  My oldest, dearest friend just downsized and has no place for a potting bench.  She and I have always shared a love of plants and our gardens.  I'm surprising her with a dream garden shed, something both of have always wanted, but neither of us has ever had.

Made some more progress today.  And, the lamp arrived!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

After really ramping back up on my house in January and early February, I stepped away for  a couple of weeks for a vacation in Thailand, and am just back now.  While we were there, I remembered that several of the mini things I buy here are imported from Thailand, so I searched one of Bangkok's big markets and managed to find a few good minis at a great price!  Mostly things like ceramic vases, teeny ceramic animals, some flatware, a good laundry hamper etc.  Almost all of them identical items to ones I've seen at my local mini shop or on miniatures.com -- so now I know where those come from! There is a fascinating Thai tradition of "spirit houses" -- when you build a house, you're supposed to also install a tiny house on the property for the spirits you've disturbed with your building.  These are so pretty, at a variety of scales (I'd say between about 1:24 and 1:8 or so) and while they're not furnished like full dollhouses they often have some furniture and figurines inside of them.  Worth a google image search for some serious mini prettiness.  People make offerings to them -- incense, fruit, and especially if the spirit house is at the bar, sometimes some liquor! I'm wondering if this tradition has something to do with why Thailand is such a key source of minis for import.

Anyway I definitely had minis on my mind throughout our trip, as soon as I landed I hit the hardware store to buy a dremel tool, and in the process stumbled on some perfect black "slate" formica samples which I'm now turning in to the slate-tiled bathroom floor of my dreams. I've been puzzling for months over how tomake a really lovely slate floor in mini without splurging on real slate, so it's quite exciting .Pics to come! :)

• Like 2

I have been reorganizing my dollhouse/guest room.  It is getting uncomfortably crowded in there.  Brought a couple of my miniature stores into the living room.  So now I have the Lundby and two stores in the living room.  It is a good time to do this as my husband may be more receptive to having minis in the living room.  After all, he helped create my overcrowding in the dollhouse/guest room as he encourages me to buy "bargain" minis.

Until the middle of January my dollhouse room was being used a guest room.  My grandsons are now too grown for that room, so my sweet daughter slept on a popped up trundle bed with her feet under the landscaping board of my largest rehab house.  Good that we did not have an earthquake, as houses would have fallen off ceiling high shelving onto her bed.  So now it is not a real comfortable guest room nor comfortable dollhouse room.

I am currently building half of the 1:12 Magnolia (I used the other half earlier to build a smaller scale house for my Playmobil pieces).  The current build is one room downstairs with a big fireplace.  I started the build for a fishing/hunting guide cabin, but a gentleman moved in who plans to spend his time there writing a book.  So now I am enclosing the porch as he insisted on a bathroom.  I also had to make a pellet stove to go in the fireplace as he did not want to have to chop wood.  I also had to find him a microwave (a Tomy microwave works perfectly).  I am also enclosing the upstairs balcony as he wanted a space for his desk with a view overlooking the woods.  Oh dear, I take direction from a miniature doll.

My this post I setting long ! I love, love, love the potting shed ! Can't wait to see its progress ! Still trying to finish up my BH. At a stand still on the corbels and getting my front door to open and shut so this is what I've been working on ....

Trying to make some doors that go to the bedrooms. I still have a lot of finishing touches (like some of the inside trim and floors) but she's coming along. Guess I've come to the realization she will be an ongoing project and not one to be rushed (lol). There is still so much I want to do to her before I can call her "finished."

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Love that potting shed, and that Beacon Hill looks just gorgeous! I love that soft blue wallpaper!

Been doing real life chores instead of minis, BUT, have had the Franklin in dry fit for a few days and making all sorts of lists and plans. It's ready to take off like a rocket! I think the construction should be pretty fast and easy, as there's minimal parts and fiddly bits to get the walls and floors up. The initial slow down will be finding the time to get everything sanded and primed before I glue it. The first floor of the barn has been primed, and it's ready to have the wall planks glued in. Maybe this weekend?

Still making decisions about the windows for the Franklin...I found Houseworks knockoffs at Hobby Lobby, and the measurements are a bit off from Houseworks, but the thickness of the framing is just right...with siding on the exterior, the window trim should fit flush against the walls without any shimming. Yippee! But...they're double pane windows with the acrylic glued into the frames. I'll have to find a way to get the acrylic out for painting, then get it back in when the windows are finished. I would just buy the Houseworks, but the description says for 1/2" thick walls, and I think trying to make that fit would be an even bigger chore.     

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

:happydance: My dry fit stairs look like the photo in the instructions!

Be vigilant in taking them apart for the gluing stage! :D 

43 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Be vigilant in taking them apart for the gluing stage! :D 

Oh, believe it!  I already have the gluing jig at hand!  I want to paint the staircase and risers and stain the treads.  We'll see how that goes.

Sooo good to be back on here!!! I moved a month ago, and was only able to bring one 1:12 project with me to the new place. Basic reason being I moved for a job, and don't honestly know how long I'll be here with the job. Hoping for the next few years, but it's a temperamental industry so we'll see. Anyways, I chose to bring my Georgetown Brownstone by American Craft Products with me, and I can honestly say of any one kit I've chosen to work on this one is a temperamental beast! lol She and I have had a few hiccups just getting started -- no windows with the kit, or trim. the front panel is MDF with a thin plastic coating on the front exterior -- that has holes and has been chipping off. I had decided to use Krylon Stone Effect paint on the front panel to give the bricks and quoin detail a more believable finish. Was looking good until I went back downstairs to check on it and my boyfriend had decided to help by sitting it upright as opposed to leaving it lay flat... that led to paint streaks and me attempting to remove the paint which inadvertently on my part removed the better part of the plastic coating. All in all though, I'm just trying to stay positive and make each "setback" work for both the house and myself. The missing windows are what I'm going to work at replacing today with my first attempt at faux stained glass. As for the front panel, I have some Andi mini brick stones that should work for the quoin detail, and I'm going to attempt Paperclay for the bricks. Going to attempt to upload pics here in a few to show what it is I'm working on. OH, and I'm finally back to actually updating my blog on my minis.  :)

Holly, you were one of my inspirations when I first built the Laurel for my niece -- I have confidence those will be the best looking stairs ever.  Amy, can't wait to see what all you manage with the potting shed -- it's looking sensational already, I know I'd enjoy one of those myself in real life. Last but not least Kim, your BH is looking beautiful as well -- love the wallpapers and finishes you've shown already!

• Like 1

Thank you, Kelli, and welcome home.  I might not enjoy the challenge the stairs give, but by golly, the ones I've built so far are so elegant!  The two Dura-Crafts I've built had straight staircases; the Greenleaf stairs are more suited to the style of building, and these are most definitely 'mercantile" stairs.

• Like 2

Here's what I've been up to today:

large.56e101caa497b_hippieinprogress.jpg

This is the furniture set I'm dressing for Nutti.  Isn't that fabric amazing!  It's so cheerful and happy and vibrant that it makes me smile every time I look at it.  I had my tunes cranked up and was singing along loud enough to provoke meows of annoyance from two cats who were trying to nap, but it was so much fun.  This is the couch and it's currently in 8 pieces with the legs sitting over on one side while I upholster everything but I'm definitely making progress.  It made me very happy to be able to get mitered corners on a curved arm mainly because I remembered how to do it!  LOL!!   I'm going to try to get into the studio and put the couch back together tomorrow and then start on the chair.  I think this set also needs some big floor pillows to go with it (with tassels on the corners of course!)   The throw pillows on the couch and chair will be done in an assortment of colors and then I'll decide what color to paint the feet.  <grinning>  I love working with color, especially on such fun furniture.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Yellow furniture feet with that fabric no?

I'm thinking either yellow, blue or purple.  Blue is Lynette's favorite color but purple would also be stunning and I'll use both for the little throw pillows on the cushions.  Whichever color I use for the feet will be the same color I use for the braided trim on it.   It's funny how this furniture takes on the personality of the fabric.   So far I've done it in 60s flower power, 80s black-n-brights, and an exotic leopard print but each time is like dressing it for the first time.  It's awesome when furniture can be that chameleon-like and take on a new personality every time. 

• Like 1

Love it Deb!  So fun!  :)

I finally had a couple of warm days to stain & varnish the flooring for the Victorian Farmhouse.  This morning before work I glued in the half under the stairs and set some heavy books on it while it dries.  Looking forward to finishing and installing the stairs next!

• Like 1

I stand around the lantern aisle at hobby lobby and stare at all the lanterns, trying to figure out how I could make a mini scene in one. Would never have imagined something as cool as what you're doing Amy. Can't wait to see more, very inspiring! 

I'm making lilacs today for a vase, love making flowers, it's so meditative :) 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I stand around the lantern aisle at hobby lobby and stare at all the lanterns, trying to figure out how I could make a mini scene in one. Would never have imagined something as cool as what you're doing Amy. Can't wait to see more, very inspiring! 

Check out some of Casey's recent posts for some metal/glass lantern inspiration! http://caseymini.blogspot.com 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Check out some of Casey's recent posts for some metal/glass lantern inspiration! http://caseymini.blogspot.com 

I need to go look and get inspired too.  I have an old brass lantern that I bought at a garage sale when I was 18 (back when the earth was cooling) that I keep thinking would be great for a mini steampunk vignette.   Speaking of Casey, isn't it fabulous to see her back here and with such good news about her health!  <turning cartwheels of delight>  

I'm hoping for some studio time today so I can get that sofa reassembled and start on the chair.  Nutti is coming to play at my house on Monday and I'd love to at least have the sofa together so she can see more than pieces.  

• Like 1