What's everyone working on?

Plans have changed as some of you have heard - not going to start on my San Francisco Row house, but will be selling it and ramping up on my new Lawbre French Country Manor I just snagged! 

Still also working on curtains for my Thornhill. Well, working on a plan for them anyway. 

I also have been researching dust covers for my other houses (here on the board and on the web) and found some very helpful ideas.A few days back I then began searching at Homedepot.com for plexiglass...just to see what's what. Funny, I just got an email from Home Depot saying "We have what you're looking for" with pics and links to plexiglass. Uh, yeah, I didn't ask you to spam me with that, I was simply browsing your site. And, since you won't cut it to size, I probably won't buy it from you anyway...but thanks for creeping me out, HD.

• Like 2

I am so happy for you Heidi, you got a real dream house!

I'm all excited, because I have done enough on the kitchen of my Japanese house to actually see what it's going to look like when it's done!

large.kitchen.jpg.850facd2b56e6d33f63726

I've got a lot more to do on it, but at least I can finally set it up and see it!

• Like 1

Love Japanese house, how unusual I've never heard of this one before. I'm looking forward to seeing its progress.

I may not contribute a lot but I do read the posts so please keep them coming.

• Like 1

The lantern potting shed is fabulous. A great lantern to work with too, perfect for a potting shed.

I made one as a Christmas gift for my friend who is not a miniaturist but is into every other craft conceivable ( er, maybe not the witchy kind).  She was very happy with it. I enjoyed doing it so much I might just make another one in a different shaped lantern. You have given me inspiration.

12289760_916611548388096_5410739955873225411_n.jpg

12299286_916611545054763_6495569087830663548_n.jpg

12313516_916611551721429_7870957358761122414_n.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jo Med said:

Love Japanese house, how unusual I've never heard of this one before. I'm looking forward to seeing its progress.

I may not contribute a lot but I do read the posts so please keep them coming.

Thanks Jo! I bought it from Aggiemae. I feel so lucky to have it, because it is so unusual. The instructions are in Japanese, and I just found out I put one wrong piece into a sliding door part. I've got to figure out how to fix that!

• Like 1

Thank you ladies. I enjoyed doing it even though the contents are half scale and so tiny. I added a ceiling light after I took these pics so it looked better and more complete when I parcelled it up for Christmas.

I have been painting miniature folk art framed paintings. Kind of out of practice but its coming back. I did get one outside wall painted on my Garfield but its a little too bright of a pink. oh well. The merrier the better I guess. Selling the paintings on ebay but what doesn't sell will go in my very own art gallery. I dont know where I will put it. May have to take the couch out of the living room lol.

• Like 1

Art gallery sounds fun :) Your ️paintings are darling! 

Jo that lantern is fabulous, reminds me of I dream of Jeannie. Very inspiring! I'd love to do a Christmas theme in a lantern. 

• Like 1

Trying a new Idea I had for a baby's cot in faux wicker, this is how far I have got after today:

large.image.jpg.5fb871ebcc56e384bb4f0977

need to add the braid and fiddle a little so to speak, but it is coming together, still ways to go and I will Being it with me over the conference days.

hugs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna said:

Trying a new Idea I had for a baby's coat in faux wicker, this is how far I have got after today:

large.image.jpg.5fb871ebcc56e384bb4f0977

need to add the braid and fiddle a little so to speak, but it is coming together, still ways to go and I will Being it with me over the conference days.

hugs

It's looking beautiful Anna. I think something was lost in the translation though, instead of baby's coat, I think it should be baby's bassinet!

2 minutes ago, kathi17 said:

It's looking beautiful Anna. I think something was lost in the translation though, instead of baby's coat, I think it should be baby's bassinet!

Thank you Kathi, but Darn that auto correct, I meant to write a baby's cot... ;)

hugs

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anna said:

Thank you Kathi, but Darn that auto correct, I meant to write a baby's cot... ;)

hugs

I hate auto correct too. It always seems to pick the wrong word and make me feel like a fool!!! :-D

20 minutes ago, kathi17 said:

I hate auto correct too. It always seems to pick the wrong word and make me feel like a fool!!! :-D

Add to that that My version switches between Swedish and English whenever it feels like it too, and as the Word is "correct" in one sense it takes a while for the brain to sort it out as not suiting the content.

Hugs

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Anna said:

Add to that that My version switches between Swedish and English whenever it feels like it too, and as the Word is "correct" in one sense it takes a while for the brain to sort it out as not suiting the content.

Hugs

I wasn't sure whether it was auto correct or translation software, but I can see where it sometimes would be even more of a problem with two languages than it is with one!

Work is progressing slowly on my half inch scale cottage.It now has completed stone walls in the cellar with a smokey fireplace for potion brewing or other dirty work, and an ancient style masonry stove with a hood. The hood is complete, but the stove needs some sanding and finishing in the hole where the firewood will be stored.

No, the floor between the cellar and living space isn't in yet. All 3 walls aren't glued together yet either.

Some bigger pictures are on my New England Miniatures blog.

resize.JPG

• Like 1

Anna, your baby's cot is looking really good so far - neat idea!

Grazhina, looks like your technique with egg cartons paid off - nice. I sense some very cool accessories with all the cool potion-making that will be going on!

So, since my last post I have fallen deep in to an obsession with formica samples! I mentioned in my last post stumbling on some great little textured "slate" formica samples at home depot and loading up my purse with a dozen them (this felt a bit sketchy, but i absolved my guilt by spending like $100 on other stuff there that day!). I figured out a technique for scoring them on both sides with a craft knife and then snapping them, and was able to make a great slate tile floor for my bathroom. I'm trying to upload images of this from my phone right now but keep getting this "there was a problem with the upload" message, so will have to wait on that one.

In the meantime, I was thinking formica could make a really great "marble" countertop for the kitchen, but wanted to do that with bigger pieces than the little sample chips would allow. I went hunting to see if I could *buy* a small piece of formica, but ended up discovering that's not possible.  However, in the process I learned that formica.com will ship you up to 5 different larger 5x7 samples for free! Again I felt slightly guilty about this, but as there wasn't another option i went ahead and did it.  My free samples with free shipping were on my doorstep two days later, and one of them turned out to be the perfect "granite" effect one in a glossy finish.  The 5x7 samples don't give you 5x7 of usable material due to rounded corners and a hole, but with some creative and careful cuts I was able to complete my whole countertop.  Here it is! 

large.image.jpeg.580783b32cef85038a1c000

• Like 2

By the way, does anyone have any advice on these image upload error messages? I sat down to upload 4 or so photos and was able to get this one to upload, but all the others failed and have continued to fail when I've tried them one by one on subsequent occasions. I'm using an iphone. 

23 minutes ago, denkyem said:

In the meantime, I was thinking formica could make a really great "marble" countertop for the kitchen, but wanted to do that with bigger pieces than the little sample chips would allow. I went hunting to see if I could *buy* a small piece of formica, but ended up discovering that's not possible formica.com will ship you up to 5 different larger 5x7 samples for free! Again I felt slightly guilty about this, but as there wasn't another option i went ahead and did this.  My free samples with free shipping were on my doorstep two days later, and one of them turned out to be the perfect "granite" effect one in a glossy finish.  The 5x7 samples don't give you 5x7 of usable material due to rounded corners and a hole, but with some creative and careful cuts I was able to complete my whole countertop.  Here it is! 

What a fine looking kitchen. The counter tops are perfect. Thanks for the tip on scoring both sides and snapping. 

• Like 1

Ok, here we go! Here's the slate floor in progress, and to the left you can see the back of one of the sample tiles I was cutting down to make these tiles.  towards the bottom of the image you can see i'd started to grout them with white spackle. 

large.image1.JPG.1aa71e0f5e49d30f1885b2d

And here's the finished floor positioned in the far-from-finished bathroom.

large.image3.JPG.2a727549eb457e73f848d63

You can see here I'd gone over the grout with grey paint, but it's chipping a little. 

Sorry these pictures are so massive! I wanted to upload them to my gallery at full size, but wish there was a way to then add them from my gallery to a post at a smaller size -- is there? 

• Like 4