I just posted new pics . . .

For Christmas this past year, my Dad surprised me by building this wonderful little caravan. I had always wanted one, and I had no idea he was going to make it for me. We had already opened what I THOUGHT was all our gifts, when my young nephew came into the living room with his remote control car . . . towing this behind it! I was wildly excited, and I can't tell you how much fun this was to do. I had a blast and best of all, I had virtually everything I needed to finish it on-hand. There is an article on it in the current issue of Dollhouse Miniatures magazine, so I thought I could go ahead and share it on here as well. I have a whole album full of pictures in my gallery. I hope you like it!

It's just perfect! I want one, too! I will be going to the store after a copy of the magazine so I can show it off and brag that I know you!

Sherry, thanks so much, BUT . . . you make me laugh. Brag that you know me? Good grief, if they've seen your work, they won't worry about mine! You're a master!

Gee, your dad's a keeper!

Thanks, Holly! I won't argue with you there. I am quite attached to him!

That is gorgeous. Is there two doors? I noticed in some of the pictures there was a beautiful stain glass window and in others it was clear with an eye at the top?

No, there is only one door. But, you are very observant! The picture before the stained glass is what I was considering at first. I ended up deciding the stained glass would provide privacy and color. And, thank you for your compliment!

great little caravan rhonda!!!! did you get your love of building mini's from your dad???

Thanks! You could say that . . . not only did he build me my first very beloved dollhouse for my 9th Christmas, he also took me to many fabulous dollhouse and miniatures displays during my childhood. Plus, he let me learn how to use power tools in his shop on "Shop Sundays". My Dad is so brilliant - he knows how to do everything and he has always been a great sport in sharing his know-how.

Whoa! :) Could you tell me how the roof is made? I so want to do one of these!

Well, my Dad told me that making the roof was a real pain: First of all, he measured, sketched, and cut the interior rib supports (on a bandsaw) and finished them with both spindle and disk sanders. Then, he cut the White Western Cedar roof to size and had to soak it until he could bend it to fit those ribs. After he applied the ribs to the underside of the roof, he had to secure the whole unit into place to let it dry completely . . . otherwise, the gently curving roof would not hold its form. I wasn't there when he did it, but he said it was a very time-consuming process.

I just spoke to my Mom on the phone and asked her to email me some pictures she has of the caravan in its natural state before I did my work on it. That way, you will all be able to see more of the construction details. I'll post them as soon as I get them (probably tomorrow, as I have to work tonight).

O.K., folks . . . I had time to sneak those photos in tonight, so you can go to my gallery and see the caravan in its just-built state. I think you'll like the new pictures - they really show the detail and amount of work that went into it! And, before you ask . . . No, I don't think my Dad is adopting! :)