Greenleaf's Fourth Annual Spring Fling Contest

In one of my less lucid moments I must have mentioned wanting a wood burning tool, as Lloyd got one for me. I'm going to use it on the Fling. Nothing like a tee-total experiment to keep the adrenaline flowing! I've been thinking and thinking about it. One of these days I'm going to have to fire it up and see what happens!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have great news ... the elusive and expensive metal item I've been searching for has been found in the form of a loaner from a friend in another miniature hobby. YEAH !!!!!!! :unsure:

I'm committed to my theme now for sure, as I bashed it to bits this afternoon with my drill, my Dremel, jigsaw, and table saw. It's not changing now for no how !!

Still pondering the proper style of roof treatment. That's the last big decision to make. It's a tough one though.

Trinkets and baubles are on their way from a couple places.

Now the biggest problem to overcome is TIME ... tick tock -- tick tock -- tick tock -- tick tock

Yikes :lol:

Ever sooo slowly gettin' some things done, but I waste more time trying to make decisions it seems :lol: (sigh) I started putting ______ on the ceiling yesterday - not sure I like it just yet, but methinks I am stuck with it :) And, in all my diligent planning (lol) I totally forgot about lighting placement..oh my! Not sure at all how to get around that now. I'm not even sure I want to struggle with them now. This could be a real fight to the finish :unsure: Five weeks left?? :o And I have guys comin' in a week or so to re-side and re-roof our RL house - they'll be bangin' hammers, etc. outside and I will be inside doin' the same darn thing B) (bettin' they finish before I do!)

Fling On!!

:lol: Oh my, another totally wild idea just struck looking at the pics of the kit at the start of this thread... OUch, I should have purches two... Oh well, we'll see what it finally says when it arrives... :unsure: the antecipation is building up LOL

Hugs

Been doing more thinking and I believe I've talked myself out of cutting a hole in one wall.

If I'd spend as much time working as I do thinking about this, it would probably be finished by now. But I think I'd be making changes ... :lol:

Been doing more thinking and I believe I've talked myself out of cutting a hole in one wall.

If I'd spend as much time working as I do thinking about this, it would probably be finished by now. But I think I'd be making changes ... :lol:

Boy, do I hear ya on that one Kathie :unsure:

I finally got some room to work in! I've put it into dry-fit, and now I'm pondering on the best way to plan my idea. The kit is a sweetheart - very easy to work with, and ready for anything I might throw at it. :D

At last - I can Fling On with you all! :cheer:

Anna, I hope your kit arrives soon, you will love it! :yes:

Glad things are coming together for you all.

I'm committed to my idea, its glued together and is starting to shape up but I'm lacking any kind of wow factor at the moment, after the initial excitement its starting to look decidedly ordinary. I bet everyone is thinking the same thing about theirs though.

Oh and yes, like everyone else I'm doing far too much thinking instead of doing the doing, I could sit and stare at it, visualising this and that for hours. Mine is in the conservatory and the weather has been beautiful for the last few days, its so tempting to sit and relax in there just staring at the fling and enjoying the sunshine. Have to give myself a sharp slap.

No wow factor on mine either, but I'm pleased that I got some things done yesterday (after dragging my heels for the last several days) This work one day, take several off has to stop I tell ya, or I'll be working on this thing till Doomsday! I still need to figure out how to make the _____ ____ing's, and I really must tackle the lighting situation. And DH has yet to cut the piece I need for the ______ base :yes: I really must learn to use the table saw without fear of losing a finger or two. :D

FLING ON! :cheer:

Glad I'm not alone with the missing WOW factor. I'm at the stage where its just a building plain and simple but I think the kerpow zing pop factor can be remedied to some extent with the finishing touches and some carefully chosen accessories - plan is swirling around in my head as I type. I'm at a bit of a standstill at the moment, waiting for supplies to arrive in the post. Need heat shrink tubes and wire and I'm trying out some cheap resin tiles off e-bay - quite excited about those. They will be perfect for the "west wing" (lol snort) :cheer:

Are we only allowed to submit 3 pics. That is going to be the real challenge because of the size of this building. Mine has distinct areas, each of which I would like to photograph and if you step back and take an overall view, you lose the detail. Not being a photographer, the pic taking is going to be as hard as the building itself.

Working from home today so you can tell by my posts, my mind is not exactly on the job.

...I really must learn to use the table saw without fear of losing a finger or two. :cheer: ...
Use a push stick to keep your piece sined up with the fence as it passes throught the saw. Watch a few episodes of "The Yankee Workshop" to watch how Norm does it!

Are we only allowed to submit 3 pics. That is going to be the real challenge because of the size of this building.

My thoughts exactly Jo...going to loose lots of detail but thats all part of the contest ...getting the best 3 pics B)

of course we will all be opening our own galleries with close ups of all those 'special bits' :yes:

As for a :D factor....mines ordinary with a big twist :cheer:

Fling On! :p

No Wow factor here ... hope that's to come ... right now, it's just Ow factor! The pain is in knowing what I want it to look like, but not yet figured out how to (or even if I can) get there. :D

I know it's going to need lighting, but that's my biggest fear! :yes:

I'm fairly well paralyzed already - even though there are plenty of things I could be working on in the meantime.

Too much thinking!! :cheer:

Now, see, I feel wowed by mine. Should I feel bad about that? :yes: I've been trying new techniques and experimenting with materials with better than expected results. Maybe no one else will be wowed by my ________, but I sure am!

:cheer:

Use a push stick to keep your piece sined up with the fence as it passes throught the saw. Watch a few episodes of "The Yankee Workshop" to watch how Norm does it!

:D I have watched Norm a few times Holly (love that Norm! he does dovetail corners and everything)- of course he makes it look so easy, and I'm just a klutz. I'm darn lucky I haven't hacked off a digit with my box cutter yet, so moving saw blades are doubly daunting to me. :yes: I know, I know...never ventured, nothing gained...but I really, really need my fingers :cheer: DH promised he will get the _____base cut this afternoon, so I will wait patiently. I have plenty of other things I need to get done while waiting.

Regarding the fantabulous New York Times link above -

Aw-w-w-w fer cryin' out loud ... sigh .... someone has been snooping around my sketchbooks again !!!! Fer the love of pete ... a little privacy here please.

Spring Fling time requires a tad more discretion ya know ...

< giggle giggle snicker snicker >

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note though, further down that NY Times page - over on the right, is a link to Modernist Dollhouses which is wonderful. It furthers links to that authors blog and collection which is very interesting -- Call of the Small

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Psst - This is a distraction technique while I try to gather up all my drawings and hide them better !!!