A road trip . . . a new project

Your brother is awesome! I think he should get the Greenleaf Forum "Brother of the Year" award. I have four brothers.....none that would put in the much work and effort. He did a great job!

I can't wait to see what you are going to do with it! Are you going to show us "during" pics? Cause you know it would be very cruel to let us know you are working on a dream house and not sharing the progress. :lol:

I'm sure right now you are thinking "if you give a mouse a cookie..."

Seriously, have fun! What a cool house to be working on. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Kat

Ok, if he doesn't need another sister.....is he single? What about a girlfriend or wife? Whoops, did I just say that out loud? :lol:

LOL......what is said on the forum, stays on the forum.

Right? Right?

I hope so. I am off to double check I didn't say I am going to spend all of my future husband's money on minis. He doesn't need to know _all_ of my plans yet!

Take a pillow, Kat; your jaw will drop! That is one fabulous house!

Rhonda, there are some posts about making cobwebs, and also aging papers; bits of old newspapers peeling off those attic walls and cobwebs in the corners and draping from the rafters oughta look good, and you can make spiders from seed beads and four strands of embroidery floss, stiffening each with a little tacky glue. I also have read bits here & there for simulating aged glass in windows. You're going to have FUN!

Thank you for all your compliments. I really am excited about this house . . . I think that it is going to be one of my biggest challenges AND one of my favorites EVER! An extra bonus to my brother building me these fab dollhouses is that we have shared a lot of quality time together because of them: both in person and on the phone & email. Our collaborative process involves a lot of phone calls starting with him telling me to "go check your email" and then I have the joy of seeing the current "in-progress" pictures. After that, a discussion always ensues about ideas, possible changes, etc. . . The funny thing is that my extremely talented brother never takes credit for his wonderful ability. I mean, he builds these from the ground up FREE-Style (he doesn't like doing blue prints) and the build takes on its own life as he builds it. I think that is SO cool! During all of this, he is totally nonchalant and claims "anybody could do this". Well, we all know better, don't we! Anyway, thanks again . . . I am glad you all think that my pride & joy is wonderful, too!

Oh wow I like!!!! What a great house, he did a very good job with it! Eh shucks that's a lie, he did a $%(*)_&^%R*)_*&^*&O*)(^ job with it!!

I rellllllly like!

Rhonda -

I just looked through your Casa Maria album as well. Your brother AND your dad build houses for you? I really want to be part of your family :giggle:

Jessie, I had to grin when I read this. YES, I have been blessed! Although having said that, my Dad is in really bad health and probably won't be able (much less willing) to build me any more . . . he mainly built Casa Maria for me because I lost the dollhouse he built me for my 9th Christmas in a house fire and I was devastated, plus I nagged him into it. I actually already had my design planned out AND the entire house full of furniture and accessories purchased when I asked him to do it. What could he say? As I recall, I got a lengthy sigh and raised eyebrows, but he did it for me and I love it. Now, about my brother . . . I am SO excited about his talent in the miniature field and we actually have an awesome, exciting, and TRULY monumental project planned for the future. However, he has already told me he will NOT be building me any more houses until he builds himself a much larger workshop. The haunted mansion literally took up his entire workbench and he actually had to do some of the construction while standing on a ladder. So, I may not get another one from him for about 5 years. Plus, he spent a fortune on supplies for Middleton Manor . . . it's got several hundred board feet of lumber in it - he literally planed the wood and built it all from "scratch". If we get to do the next planned project, it will be by far the most elaborate and detailed one yet, and we both REALLY want to do it. We've discussed some features that we want in it that will blow everybody away, and this one will cost us an absolute fortune to construct. Having said that, it will be totally worth it! Anyway, thanks so much - I am glad you have enjoyed seeing the pictures. I've got great plans for Middleton Manor, so I think you will enjoy seeing it when it is finished.

P.S. - Casa Maria is actually finished, but I haven't posted pics on here yet because it is scheduled to be featured in the May-June issue of Dollhouse Miniatures magazine. After it is published, I'll put some finished pics on here for you all to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is just a progress report: I've been hard at work priming Middleton Manor, and I've already spent a lot of time and about a quart of Kilz on it and I'm STILL not done priming! I wish you all could see the actual house . . . you just can't get the full impact of the size in any of the pictures. Every time I walk into my den, I think "whoa, that is one HUGE house!" What is really fun is that now that I've got almost all the exterior primed, I can better visualize what it will really look like when finished. I almost hated to put primer on that beautiful wood, but I knew I had to get started, and now I am enjoying it a lot.

Well, it's slow going on that primer! I can't believe how much surface area there is to prime . . . I don't think I've ever seen a dollhouse quite this big before (maybe a Triang one, but I don't even think that was a 1:12 scale . . . more like a 1:6). Anyway, I've posted a couple of pictures of the priming I've got done so far. I'm not done, but I am making progress. I am deliberately keeping my prime layer fairly thin, as I've got a good bit of actual paint to put on the house, and I don't want too much build-up. The inside area shows up better now, and you can see that I've got a lot of room inside to play with.

What a great house Rhonda! Looks like you are having fun, and it is looking fabulous so far! :o

Thanks, Chris! I wish so much you could all see it in person - it is really impressive, especially when you can stand in front of it. It's pretty overwhelming. Even my 6-foot (plus) tall brother had to stand on a ladder to work on it. I am especially excited because I have some really cool plans for it.

I just noticed that one tower is hexagonal and the other is square. I like that. Gives a nice feel to the overall look.

Thanks . . . that was one of the features my brother & I discussed in depth, and we mutually decided it would be more interesting if they weren't the same. One thing I love about his houses is that he will go that extra mile to do something really cool. On my Coppertop Cabin, he added beautiful built-in bookshelves in the den, and they are one of my favorite features of that house. And, we have 2 more mutual projects in mind: one a while down the road (it will be HUGE - even bigger than Middleton Manor!), and one that may happen very soon. I am SO excited, because our collaborations are always a lot of fun.