Flea market find

lmgervais

Went to the local flea market this morning as one of the vendors said she would be bringing in a dh today to sell. It is a scratch-built house, probably made by some father for his daughter. Scale is a tiny bit off, but not much - ceiling height 8", door height 6".

Was undecided as to whether I wanted to buy it or not until DS#1 (almost 16 - along to carry it if I bought it) said he liked it. Also came with some furniture, some pieces that I think are to scale, others I think may be 1/2 scale. (Don't know what I will do with those, as I won't want them.) Needs some work as some of the decorations look like they are from around the 80's. But, it is solid wood and very sturdily built, and heavy.

My first re-hab job!

Pics are already in my gallery - it was the first thing I did since we got home!

Its a neat house it looks to scale to me, as for the furniture, i think you got it dead on, it looks to me like the chairs and table should be taller, maybe its the angle. . .

Its a neat house it looks to scale to me, as for the furniture, i think you got it dead on, it looks to me like the chairs and table should be taller, maybe its the angle. . .

The chairs and table are the largest pieces, it's all the metal furniture that I'm not sure about. Will have to measure it soon.

I ahve seen them before and have most of them , the beds make good toddler beds,the coat rack is correct, I am not sure of the sewing machine, but i would change it a little. . . The table to me looks like a coffee table in 1/2 scale, the white table now that i take a second look looks about 1:!2th.

Thanks everyone!

The staircase is what I noticed, it's so different! With it and the chimneys, and the general rustic flair to it, I'd go cabin, hunting lodge, something along that line. It's a winner!

I understand what you mean, Sherry. Never thought of a cabin or hunting lodge. Guess it will have to live on the outskirts/away from my small town that I am aiming for with each new house. Since the town is set ~1910, maybe I can turn it into a cabin-type building where several brothers live back in the wood or something like that...another house that needs to speak to me some more! :groucho:

Most turn of the century towns grew up around established camps or forts. There would have been cabins there. We go to Red River New Mexico on occasion. It's a mountain resort town that was originally a mining camp, then a resort, now a ski resort. There is one main street that was originally there on the river. There are painted ladies side by side with large log buildings that were originally hotels or general stores. Anything that is added has to conform to that general style. It's absolutely delightful, however commercial it has become, and a generally realistic view of what towns looked like back then.

Started the renovations on it after supper. Got all of the front roof off, most of the baseboards - they were attached with finishing nails. Am trying to save all of the trim pieces.

Found out that he used mack-tack or something like it on the underside of the roof and some of the walls - it just peals off, leaving a sticky residue behind. Started taking some of the wallpaper off too, as well as the really dated vinyl flooring in the kitchen area and part of the carpet in the living area. Unfortunately, he used some felt-like substance on the floors upstairs - all in one piece - and it is stuck down really well, so it will be a challenge to take off.

Fireplace is not painted as nicely as I would like, so I am considering re-painting it or covering it with small paperclay stones. Opening on the second floor for the staircase is also too small, but that can be easily enlarged once the back roof is off.

As for decorating, thinking of using branch pieces for furniture to keep the rustic look - like a slice of a branch for a table - saw one in real life and it was gorgeous! Maybe log furniture, quilts for the beds, etc. Don't really want to put guns in it or other hunting stuff, but I'll have to still think about that. My in-laws used to hunt and some of the family still does hunt for moose or dear. Will talk to DH and see what he thinks.

Demolition can be so much fun, even if you do have to be careful! ^_^

Was into more renovating in a big way today. DH got the back roof off and the 2nd floor interior walls came out fairly easily. That means we were able to get all of the old 'carpet' out with the help of a heat gun. Worked more on getting the old wallpaper off, but the builder used several different types of coverings for the walls - some come off with only a bit of persuasion, others are being a lot more difficult to remove!

Will post more pictures soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to remove stubborn stuff from walls in a rehab? I'd call it all wallpaper, but some of it is shinier than others, so it looks like old drawer lining paper. I've tried a warm damp cloth, but it only helped a bit. Scrapper and chisel got off some more, but I still can't get all of it off :D . Don't want to just cover it up as the house has a certain 'old smell' to it. Getting rid of the carpets helped a lot, but the wall coverings have to go too.

Add a bit of white vinegar to the warm water and lay the damp cloth on the paper for a few minutes to give it a good soak. Fpr the shiny stuff, if it's the vinyl Contac stuff, try a little acetone/ nail polish remover on a Qtip at the edges to see if it'll loosen (I find that stuff doesn't stay stuck very well, though, so no telling what else they used with it, if that's it).

Add a bit of white vinegar to the warm water and lay the damp cloth on the paper for a few minutes to give it a good soak. Fpr the shiny stuff, if it's the vinyl Contac stuff, try a little acetone/ nail polish remover on a Qtip at the edges to see if it'll loosen (I find that stuff doesn't stay stuck very well, though, so no telling what else they used with it, if that's it).

Thanks for the suggestions, Holly! I'll give it a try. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever get it off.