Hi from Nijmegen

Nileke

My name is Marianne. I live in a small apartment with my 2 cats.

Tomorrow I'll visit my very first doll house and miniatures show! Hopefully I can buy my first doll house at the show. It was a tough decision as to what house to buy, considering that I have limited space.

My absolute favorite is the Beacon Hill, but it costs $477 here in the Netherlands. There's no way I can afford that.

Another thing is that I'm a bit clumsy by nature, so it's best to look for an easier build. That's why I considered the Laurel for a while, but decided against it. I love the wrap around porch, but otherwise the Laurel looks a bit plain.

So I chose the Westville. It's very pretty and from what I've read so far, it's probably not too complicated to build even for me. I don't know when I can start building it, though. Weather permitting, I'll work on the house on my balcony. It's because of my inquisitive cats. I'm concerned about them getting paint or glue all over them, and I can't create a seperate working area indoors.

Last but not least I want to thank the Greenleaf community for teaching me a very important lesson: any dollhouse, even the tiniest one, can be turned into a treasure. :giggle:

Welcome to the forum family, Marianne.

The Laurel, as with any house, can be as plain or as fancy as you could wish for. Here is one I was given for USD2 that was actually falling apart (the builder used hot glue) and I put it back together again. Mini things that weren't already missing had either been destroyed or had to be destroyed to be taken apart, and I built a lot of new things like doors, windows, stair railings and porch, and I also bashed and added things, too:

gallery_8_1103_124346.jpg

gallery_8_1103_106755.jpg

The Westville is an easy, elegant build with all sorts of pretty things to play with, and the Buiding Team built & blogged it to give you lots of ideas.

I totally agree that the Laurel is a very nice house, and I love the porch. And doesn't the Laurel look lovely combined with the Primrose? Now I'm second guessing my decision :lol:

But considering there's basically only 1 spot to put a doll house, I'm going for a more distinctive one.

Still, you never can tell, maybe I'll find a way to build more houses. :unsure:

Welcome to the group! I know what you mean about the cats. I have two also and they are into everything. I do have a seperate room to work in but it never fails someone comes in to talk to me and leaves the door open and here they come. I cant tell you how many times I have been working on the outside of the house and all of a sudden one of them pops his head out the window and scares me to death! The other night I was painting and one of them jumped up and was trying to swat at my paint brush. I use paint that will wash off with soap and water thank goodness so if they get it on them I can wash it off, hopefully before they get it all over the house or lick it. Whichever house you build first we look forward to seeing it! :unsure:

Corwin, I already checked that the Beacon Hill would be $205 for shipping, according to the USPS site. It's the weight. Not to mention taxes. Anything over $34 is dutiable here.

Oh well, it's a pity, but there are plenty houses that I love and can afford. And who knows, maybe I win some money at the lottery some day. :unsure:

Welcome to the group! I know what you mean about the cats. I have two also and they are into everything. I do have a seperate room to work in but it never fails someone comes in to talk to me and leaves the door open and here they come. I cant tell you how many times I have been working on the outside of the house and all of a sudden one of them pops his head out the window and scares me to death! The other night I was painting and one of them jumped up and was trying to swat at my paint brush. I use paint that will wash off with soap and water thank goodness so if they get it on them I can wash it off, hopefully before they get it all over the house or lick it. Whichever house you build first we look forward to seeing it! :unsure:

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. There was an incident some years ago with a knocked over ink bottle. Thank God, it was water soluble. Gosh, my cat was like 'what's gotten into you?'. I had to wash ink of his feet, paws and face. Very demeaning for a cat!

Anyway, I'll take pictures when I start working on my first house. Maybe I can find someone to take a picture of me working on it on my balcony. That will be a challenge in itself. :lol:

Welkom-Groetjes-I hope you enjoy building your first house.I am building a Beacon Hill.It will be Mooi when it's done.I am half Dutch and my Oma lives in Bennekom(she's 97).The Beacon is my first dollhouse.

Dag

Margaret

Welcome! How about the orchid? It is very pretty and not too big. Then you could do an arthur to go with it.

I agree, I saw so many pretty Orchids in the gallery. And I can always find room for an Orchid! :p

With a smaller house like the Orchid, there's no barrier to having two or more smaller houses, either...

Yes, indeed, my sentiments exactly! And the Orchid is lovely. I will definitely buy an Orchid, and I'm also considering a Buttercup. I saw that gorgeous Buttercup version from Minis on the Edge, that she did with paperclay. I would like to do a Buttercup like that. Not that I expect mine to turn out as pretty as hers!

The Orchid, however, I would not use paperclay on, because it's so pretty already. I would like to do siding on the Orchid, and of course use all its trim. I just love trim and porches. Dutch houses are always so businesslike. Heaven forbid something should look pretty.

HI Mariane! :wave:

Welcome to the neighborhood!

My cat is a long haired siamese. She gets into everything and loved to sit ontop of my Harrison until I gave it a niece.

I have a small house and am always looking for more compact houses. The Laurel is charming and one I've considered for myself. I have a Glencroft and a Duracraft Heritage to build, which are both small with plenty of character. I thought eventually of having a small house in every room! The McKinley is great because it hangs on the wall!