The Adams Contest

alycemina

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stayed up till about 1:30 am and got up today at 5:30. Have to work tonight until 8:30. I have never done landscaping before......sheesh, I think it is hard!!! Waiting for schtuff to dry again.......might try a little cat nap real quick! Meow......

Glad y'all like it! I knew it would be difficult to photograph for HBS. They ask for a shot of each side, but I really didn't do much to the sides, I'd rather show two angles of the inside and two of the outside. But definitely tough to pick 4 photos since I went a little nutso with the landscaping dimensions...

They issued a catalog of all the winning entries from the beginning of the contest up to the travel trailer two years ago. It's a bummer we aren't able to see every single entry. He should make a 'coffee table' style book with large photos of the placing entries and smaller photos of the other entries (and scrapbook style pages for new contests). And then sell them - he'd make a mint!

I have never done landscaping before......sheesh, I think it is hard!!! Waiting for schtuff to dry again.......might try a little cat nap real quick! Meow......

Landscaping is fun though. I think it will make something better or worse depending on what is done.

Try using a hair blow dryer, set low to help it dry?

Deirdre

There is no telling what the judges will choose actually so I agree with Kathie take heart and I want to see Steve . I do love the photos you have in your gallery I very much enjoy what you made out of the boat and the and the trailer. Your work was in the catalog this year and I have looked and scrutinized your pictures on the website and the catalog. So hurray for winning ! And you do marvelous work.

I thanks everyone for your kind words to me ...had a bad week and it is heartening! So thanks very much .

Brandaen

Great entries. What is always so great is to see the variations that can be accomplished out of the same basic kit. I love this part: eye candy.

Good luck everybody. Hopefully there will be winners from this Forum.

-Susanne

Bravo! I have seen some of the best eye candy ever!

Pat yourself on the back for a job well done :teary:

even if you do not win you still get a free kitfor entry! So to me that is winning! a free kit is wonderful news hehehe

I didn't get mine out of the box LOLOL

I simply did not have the time to work on it...

But seeing your work gives me so much inspiration!

Did anyone get a chance to take a look at my entry? I posted pictures on my eblog

http://deirdres-rabbithole.blogspot.com/

I was hoping for some feedback, as being alone {well with 4 cats and I don't speak cattanees very well} I have no idea how well or not something I do is recieved. I may think it's great or.. not, but having feedback really helps for when you get ready for the "next time".

Too out there? Not enough of? Should have? Just right? Love it hate it? Anything??? Please tell me something??

Deirdre

Deirdre, I think it's wonderful! I especially love the led lighting, it keeps the white look when other lights would have yellowed the effect... A winter wonderland is a great idea! My only disappointment is that the photos are too small, I can't explore all the little cool details. I learned with this build that setting the camera to macro (usually a tulip symbol) allows you to get much closer and detail comes out much clearer.

I wish I had known about that sooner! I've always just done the auto click and shoot... might have made the night-time Disney parade pics come out better if I had learned about the nighttime option! Doh!

Now see, I learned something already that I didn't know. lol. I kept thinking while I was taking the pictures, get the whole thing in the frame. They said no cup off pieces and parts, so I was squeezing it all in there and didn't get to get any close ups because of that.

Had I even known the little bit you just said it would have helped a lot. Thank you for your comment. I'll try and remember that next time. There was just so much to do in such a short time. I only got the kit ordered the 3ed of Nov. And then had to wait for it to get here to begin. And I didn't even know what all I was going to use or what it was going to turn out to look like. lol.

Then no batteries in the camera, and then 1 hr. photo just to get them in the mail. I was so afraid I wouldn't make the deadline. So now I want to see what everyone else has done and enjoy this with all of you. As I said... it's in the doing, not the winning, that makes up the real reward. Sharing among friends is more precious than gold. So... all you who are still laboring to finish.... get with it! You can still do it! We what to see your finished project. And don't think about who's going to win think instead... the real goal is the sharing among friends. Here and now, we're all winners.

Deirdre

I love the snow ! What did you use to make it look so much like dusted snow? I love Christmas !! and the lights made the whole house look like magical. Dierdre, just wonderful . It is soo much fun to see what everyone comes up with , with one small kit. Everyone is so imaginative, I keep looking and going....dang look at that ! clever idea after another !

Brandaen

I love the snow ! What did you use to make it look so much like dusted snow? I love Christmas !! and the lights made the whole house look like magical. Dierdre, just wonderful . It is soo much fun to see what everyone comes up with , with one small kit. Everyone is so imaginative, I keep looking and going....dang look at that ! clever idea after another !

Brandaen

Deirdre, I think your scene is beautiful! Everyone who has posted pictures has done fabulous work. My entry is sent in, but I wish I had done more with the essay part of it. I really wanted to send along a music clip. Here is a hint to my entry...The music I would have sent would have been the song Loveshack by the B-52's. Pics coming sooooonnn....

I'll try & give you a little peek ! If this comes through...It's 1 wall that is drying....It's how I made the wains coat for the walls. I found these little wood squares on Ebay. I got 130 of them for $5.00. In between them I used 1/8" wooden dowels. For the top & bottom, I cut strips from an old wooden window blind that I found on trash day !!

Steve in PA

Judi....I start with Minwax special walnut oil stain. I brush it on & wipe it with a paper towel. I let it soak overnight & then put on a coat of clear satin finish. My favorite stains are the special walnut & the early american, which is like a dark pine.

Steve

I'll try & give you a little peek ! If this comes through...It's 1 wall that is drying....It's how I made the wains coat for the walls. I found these little wood squares on Ebay. I got 130 of them for $5.00. In between them I used 1/8" wooden dowels. For the top & bottom, I cut strips from an old wooden window blind that I found on trash day !!

Steve in PA

Steve, got any left over squares? I'm getting ready to do a Tudor room and I have something else in the works that I need that look. Your so clever! Can't wait to see the rest of it. Turn a hair drier on that puppy, and make it work. lol.

Deirdre

Deirdre, I think your scene is beautiful! Everyone who has posted pictures has done fabulous work. My entry is sent in, but I wish I had done more with the essay part of it. I really wanted to send along a music clip. Here is a hint to my entry...The music I would have sent would have been the song Loveshack by the B-52's. Pics coming sooooonnn....

Ooooh Love Shack...can't wait to see it! :wave:

I'm loving everyone's entries so far! Such amazing creativity!

A couple more little touches and time to take pictures! They haven't shown up well so far... :teary:

Deirdre....Ebay is acting stupid !!! I have been looking for the seller of the little wood pieces, but it won't let me go to page 2 of my records ! I even tried looking through my feedback & had the same trouble. Anyway, maybe you'll have better luck searching for them. They are

1" x 1 3/4" by 1/8" thick pine rectangles. The seller had quite a few auctions for these, all buy it nows, plus a lot of other craft type items.

I don't think I have enough left over to help you out. Your other option is to cut your own. A small Dremel table saw would be the best, but you could even use a xacto knife on balsa wood.

Sorry I couldn't help you, but blame it on Ebay !!

Steve in PA