Tacky Glue Question

Sherr

If you have a project you did some time ago, and you used Aleene's Tacky Glue I have a burning question.....

Has it yellowed over time?? I want to use it on a project and I can not have any yellowing a few years down the road.

I don't use Aleene's for anything, I've been very happy with Elmer's, and I can guarantee you that it hasn't yellowed on anything I've used it on, even if the item itself has yellowed with age!

I am with Holly! I am an Elmer's girl. When I first started I used Tacky once in a while. Over time(maybe 5 to 10 years) I did have some yellowing. I think that some of it can have to do with where you live. Temperatures etc can change the glues. We got one shipment of Tacky in the shop that I was working at years ago that was downright runny. It had gotten frozen in transit! I thought that was pretty weird. You just don't know what is going to happen. I have never had anything go wrong with Elmer's. I stock up every year when Wal-Mart has their back to school sale. It's 20 cents a bottle. You can't beat that!

I have not been using tacky glue long enough to give you any results but so far i LOVE it! I use it for almost everything. I used elmers white and wood but its just too runny for me. (maybe its just the weather in my area?) I keep them just in case but Elmers and other white glues even when clamped or taped will have excess run down the walls and stuff like that if you go do something else while it dries. I like how i can glue something and walk away from it with aleens and for most smaller things clamps and tape arent even needed. If I do end up using too much and there is overflow it doesnt run down the wall it just stays where it got squeezed out and can be scooped away immediately. just my :)

I built my Sterling 5 years ago and there has been no yellowing whatsoever. I used Aileens Tacky Glue on all the gingerbread and porch rails, staircases, basically everything that had to be glued on after it was painted. I havent even thought of glue possibly yellowing with time.

I love tacky glue because it has a nice thick consistancy. Ive noticed that it dries faster as well. I also have regular white glue and wood glue but they are too runny for me and seem to take longer to dry even when clamped. I still use Elmers wood glue often for the shell structure.

If you dilute tacky glue it turns into regular white glue, doesnt it? They seem to both smell and feel the same so I thought they were basically made of the same thing except that tacky glue is well, tacky, thicker than white glue.

I love glue.

I have used Aileens Tacky Glue since 2001 When I started building) and have not seen any signs of yellowing. I love the stuff and I can buy it at Michaels and it is cheap!

:)

Another 2 cents thrown in the mix. My dad used to work at a place that sold Elmer's by the gallon jug! He kept getting me a new jug every year for Christmas. I started leaving the old jugs open for a while.......Guess what? Tacky glue without the yellow. :) The other problem I had with some of my early projects made with Tacky was cracking. After a few years It would harden up and start to crack and crumble in spots. Again, maybe it is just because I live in AZ. I don't think so tho. I have never had that problem with Elmers. I think that it is a slightly different formula....To each his own.

The other morning I was in Wally World (aka Wal-Mart) and they are selling "Green" Aileen's Glue now! It looks the sameand smells the same. It just has a label that says that has no animal products in it......I didn't think any of the white glues had anything but synthetics in them. They are jumping on the green bandwagon and of course the price was about 3 times the price of the regular Tacky!

We're all faithful to our glues, aren't we. :)

I use only Aleene's. Probably because my mom was a lifelong crafter and that's what she loved to use, but it really holds up over time. I have used Elmer's here and there, but I'll reach for Aleene's first.

I noticed that Elmer's makes a white wood glue now. Has anyone tried it?

I don't know about the white wood glue, but I did try some that they put out a couple of years ago that they claimed would take stain......Don't believe it. I couldn't for the life of me get it to stain. They fibbed! :)

I have and use both, and like both, for different applications. For wood, I use only Elmer's. But, I always either brush it on, or use a toothpick or needle tool to apply. No excess, or drips that way. If I do get a drip, keeping a plastic container of baby wipes on hand, eliminates any drips, and leaves no signs of ever having a drip. I also use the baby wipes for any paint spills, or getting glue or paint off my hands.

I use the tacky glue for things like raffia, etc. As has been said...to each their own, and we are all faithful to our 'preferred' products!

I've got things I have made over 20 years ago with Elmers...no yellowing. Over 8 years ago with tacky glue...no yellowing. But, tacky sometimes tend to crack and peel with age, on some surfaces.

Man ....you all are great with the info! I am more and more assured my project will be ok. Hope so ....as I did it this morning. Used Aleenes. I am trying a new technique for the beards and mustaches of my dolls. It really looks great.

Thanks again :lol:

Sherri, I talked with Wolfie (Gina) this afternoon. She says she's been using Aileen's Tacky Glue for the hair on her dolls since around 1989 and hasn't had a problem with yellowing. As to the climate issue, she says she has a long-time customer in Hawaii who has several of her dolls and reports they are in pristine condition.

Sherri, I talked with Wolfie (Gina) this afternoon. She says she's been using Aileen's Tacky Glue for the hair on her dolls since around 1989 and hasn't had a problem with yellowing. As to the climate issue, she says she has a long-time customer in Hawaii who has several of her dolls and reports they are in pristine condition.

I don't have enough experience to make any helpful comments on the glue, but I am so glad to hear that Kathie has spoken to Wolfie! Not to hijack the thread, but is she doing o.k.?

Sherri, I'm also glad that your new technique is working out. I just love your work! And I appreciate you asking the question. I hadn't really thought about tacky glue yellowing, but all of this advice is certainly helpful!

I don't have enough experience to make any helpful comments on the glue, but I am so glad to hear that Kathie has spoken to Wolfie! Not to hijack the thread, but is she doing o.k.?

I had an email from the Wolfmeister today. Spring is struggling to arrive in Seeley Lake, and Fluffy is staying busy.

As Holly said, spring is slow to arrive. They were outside today trying to get 7-8" of hard ice off the deck, winter's accumulation. Temp gets into the 50s F during the day, but snows in the early morning. With not feeling well plus the added ennui from the antibiotics plus long trips back and forth to the doctor keeps them from doing all they'd like to be doing, but they are active on a reduced schedule and gradually improving.