What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Holly, you're aware of how construction paper will fade even in low light. It will disintegrate over time, too, whether or not light is involved. I think I'd use something a bit more stable if a backing is necessary.

That's a good idea Kathie about trying the shingles out first. They do look nice on people's roofs from the pictures!

How about gluing to card stock instead of paper? The construction paper isn't the nice quality that it use to be back when I was teaching school. Its thin.
I have tons of card stock in all colors.

I am laughing because here I am worrying about the roof and I haven't taken the pieces out of the box yet!!! :bangin:

• Like 1

Another chapter in the continuing saga of my cookie making.

I tried a high altitude sugar cookie recipe today.....uh.....not great but passable. Then I was in Wally Mart buying glue ( as always ) I picked up some packages of Betty Crocker cookie mix. Add butter, an egg and no adjustments necessary. I made white chocolate chip macadamia nut and mint chocolate chip. I don't know how they taste but they look perfect.....shhhhhhhh no one will know right? I am tired of struggling for this season!

:xmas_groucho:

• Like 2

Yeah Roxy !!!!

And my Orchid shingles aren't in the best of shape either , just might go with sandpaper.

Spent most of the day worrying , but got the news that Dad is out of ICU and in a regular room after his heart attack last night. Thought about doing all sorts of mini things today , but only managed to come up with more ideas , from hours of web surfing. Think I'm going to take out my frustrations on the sewing machine and finish a couple of WIP.

Stacey, I'm so glad your dad is OK! I'm sending prayers for his continued speedy recovery.

We were going to go see the second installment of "The Hobbit" this afternoon, but the nearest theater made a disaster out of trying to buy tickets, and by the time we got to a working register (at the concession stand, the box office was closed) the non-3D version had already started and the 3D version was a lot more expensive than we felt it was worth, since we don't either of us care to try to watch in 3D,

• Like 1

So glad to know your dad's status was upgraded! I know you've been worried sick! Speaking of which,are you feeling any better-your cold/bronchitis,I mean. Prayers are on their way for fast healing for you both,my friend!

You and Roxy are inspiring me to wanna get a move on and get ready to put my Orchid together. But,alas,I am the world's slowest miniaturist-yikes!!

Holly,a shame you didn't get to see The Hobbit today. My older son's birthday is Monday and we hope to see it soon as a treat from me. I can't wait!

• Like 1

Thanks Gail ! I started out looking online for ideas for making some dollhouse dolls and ended up printing out a pattern for a waldorf baby doll , I'm off to check my material stash , pretty sure I have something that will work.

Aside from my G.I. issues and a little rain, today couldn't have gone much better.

I picked up the cake from the grocery store next door while my DW made the kids clean their room. While they were finishing up, I brought out all their presents and set them on the sofa. When my kids ran into the living room they stopped in their tracks, completely stunned! :p After a while we drove to Chuck-E-Cheese's for a late lunch. The kids were too young for games, but loved the little rides that were available. After barely two hours it was time to go and they didn't complain at all. They're winding down now.

We weren't able to find a sitter for tomorrow, so dinner and a movie are definitely out. Maybe next year.

• Like 2

How fun Jeremy! Happy Anniversary!!

Lawson was accepted to his first college today! Oh my! Not his first school of choice, so he's not super excited, but I am! Oglethorpe University is a pretty prestigious school. But super expensive too.

And speaking of Lawson (it must be brag on Lawson day...)

He had a WAVE performance today, and at the last minute (literally while on the stage as the music was starting!) he was assigned to do a solo! (For those that don't know, this is a group that does sign language to songs - really great to watch) He did a super job, I was so proud!!

• Like 2

Congratulations to your son,Tracy! I know you are so proud of him! I bet the WAVE program was beautiful!Has your son decided what he wants to major in? Is Oglethorpe close to you? I'm just nosy,but also on the other end of it all now.

We were fortunate that my 22 year old,who just graduated with a psychology degree this past May,was able to attend a very nice(And expensive) college close to 'home' on an academic scholarship that covered most but not all of his costs. My mouth fell open when he revealed to me the large amount he still had to cover. I was even more floored this past week to hear that he has paid it all off already.I was really surprised my free-spirited boy would go for a Psychology degree-I thought he'd write or act-two of his loves.But it's already got him a newly created position in the Psych department at the same college and he's continuing as an RA (sort of like an old time 'dorm mother',I think...),so he lives on campus in apartment housing provided by the college.He still works for Coca-Cola on the weekends.For a child I nearly miscarried in the first trimester,even greater things lie ahead!

• Like 2

Thanks Kat and Holly! He had another great performance this morning at the cutest little church I've ever been to! I am so proud.

Kat, Oglethorpe is on the north side of Atlanta, we live on the south side, less than an hour in no traffic (which never happens...). Right now he is considering English, he wants to write. We'll see, I know first hand how things change! Here in Ga we have the HOPE scholarship, which he qualifies for, that pays most of a public school tuition, but this is a private school, so it will pay a lot, but not as much.

And that is awesome about your son, I know you're super proud! My 22 yo daughter still has a couple years left, mostly due to changing majors a couple of times.

I'm so glad Lawson will have a scholarship for a good bit of it. My ex and I could never have sent Ben to the college he chose on our own. We were so proud of him for qualifying for a scholarship,even though I was amazed that it didn't cover everything-I coulda bought a RL house with it!!Yikes! That's crazy!

My boy is within an hour from me,so that's good-even though he stays too busy to visit!lol. I know you'll be glad Mason is close by. Ben was thinking English major at one time-among other things,but couldn't decide for a long time. We(the ex and me) had to just back off and make others quit asking,too,so he could relax and make up his mind.He's been very happy with his choice.

My older boy,who is 25 tomorrow(Wow!)wants to go back to college one day,but can't decide what he wants to major in,what he really wants to be.So we told him not to worry,he's young and will know when it's right. I went through going to school in my 20s to be something I later hated,before going back to train as a certified preschool teacher,(In my 30s),which I loved!! So I don't advise any one to rush through that process.

Whew,Holly just corrected me-I had written 'Mason' for some reason instead of Lawson!! Sorry if you saw that Tracy-I edited/corrected it.K.

Edited by kat57

I love hearing the success stories. I ALWAYS want to pray/hold positive thoughts for all of every one of your needs. I care more about all of you than I can put into words. Respect, admiration, inspiration...those are just a few that come to mind.

It is very hard on me, as a hyper-empathetic person, to see the woes of the world literally everywhere I go. Here, I get a group of people that despite the number of people who think we miniaturists don't live in reality (when are you going to get a reaaal hobby?) everyone shares these great things that scream 'HEY FOLKS! THERE'S GOOD NEWS OUT THERE AND WONDERFUL THINGS HAPPENING!'

Thank you to everyone in the last couple days posts in this topic. Better than the Sunday Newspaper any day!

And Jeremy, if we were all as close in location in RL as we are here electronically, I bet you'd have your pick of babysitters. You have a very blessed family to have a Daddy like you. Congratulations to you all this day.

• Like 6

I went to Wallymart and bought a ring binder, downloaded the instructions from Greenleaf for the Orchid, punched holes and now I have a nice neat book for my instructions. They are much clearer it seems and it will be easier to keep track of things I hope! I was promised a trip to Hobby Lobby in Santa Fe on friday if it doesn't snow or some other disaster strike. I am going to be making a list this week for paint and anything else I can think of because there is just NOTHING here and no way to get supplies. I am excited to get started on my Orchid now. I have been dreaming about what colors to make it!

Went shopping yesterday and looking around in the crazy tourist shops at this and that. It has been an rather exhausting weekend but good.

• Like 1

Spent a good part of the day cutting out patterns and material to sew some slippers , a baby doll , and a teddy bear that will go with the dollhouse . I did get my living room set ready for the material , going with a gold crushed velvet, nice neutral color .Took Maggie and her barn out , hoping to start on them later.

I'm sitting here thinking about what I was going through on this date 25 years ago-and that it was all worth it just before dawn when I became a mother for the first time.:)Back then it seemed like the longest day and night of my life.But,wow,those 25 years passed way too fast!*sniffle*

• Like 1