What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

CNC: Computer Numerical Control. Computer software controls the motion of a router: Left-right (Y), forward (X) , up & down (Z).

I can cut out any shaped wall/floor/roof or make cut outs for windows/doors/stairwells (any shape or size) up to an inch thick. ...... I can import stuff from Sketchup (3D drawing software) & the CNC machine will carve it out for me. ...... Cutting goes fast - following the outline of the shape. Carving goes back & forth like a printer - way slow in the best mode - we're talk'n hours, but it's worth the wait.

Sounds really cool !! Wish I had one. There is a carving machine out there that uses your computer designs that sounds fun too!! Sounds like a version for wood of my Silhouette Cameo that does the same thing for paper, vinyl, magnets. and cloth. I design on the computer and send it to the machine that is loaded with the item to cut and it goes to town going back and forth and up and down and all around town. I've been making gift card boxes with open lace covers for Christmas gifts with it using double sides cardstocks. Tedious but fun.

• Like 1

Well, I'm doing just swell this evening. I was thinking about some other things while I was preparing dinner. When the oven timer went off I opened the oven to take the lid off the casserole. No casserole. I forgot to put it in the oven.

My husband had finished half of his broccoli cheese soup when I realized the bag of cheese was still on the counter. I had forgotten to add cheese to the soup. He didn't seem to notice, so I just added some cheese to the rest of the soup.

The casserole is Tex-Mex. He hates Tex-Tex, but DS and I like this casserole, which is why I also made DH the soup.

I hope the ice storm turns into a non event.

We decided staying home in sloppy weather wasn't going to be much fun, so we took The Kid (aka DS#3) to spend most of the day at the Naval Air Museum, and then late lunch at a nearby Shrimp Basket (one of the joys of where we live is that there are over a dozen Shrimp Basket restaurants within an hour of our house).

Morningstar, my only criticism of your veggies is that they look awfully clean!

I mostly broke up fights between the kids all day. This afternoon I started to make beef stroganoff using my mom's recipe, but my DW was apparently not happy with that and insisted on making it her way. On the upside, DW's recipe is devoid of MSG and several non-fresh ingredients, so it's probably healthier.

My former boss has been wanting to get together for lunch for several weeks now and we're tentatively planning on getting together tomorrow. However, knowing his crushing work load before I was laid off, I doubt he'll get enough time to get away.

I doubt I'll find too many jobs to apply for before January, so I have an off week to do nothing but work on the houses.

DH is going to run errands in town (and pick up our annual Chrissie pressie for The Kid), so DS#3 & I are going to stick around the house and wash clothes and prepare for tomorrow's cooking marathon. I want to make pastry for Christmas pies and maybe some more baguettes (we haven't had French toast since The Kid has been here, and we're taking him back home a week from Friday).

• Like 1

I am sitting here with my migraine.........Day # two!!!! :( So I am not getting much done around here. Its a good thing I got my shopping done before this!
Someone in my house is just starting their shopping!!!!!!!

I am making a pork roast and keeping it simple for Christmas. :bangin:

I am sitting here with my migraine.........Day # two!!!! :( So I am not getting much done around here. Its a good thing I got my shopping done before this!

Someone in my house is just starting their shopping!!!!!!!

I am making a pork roast and keeping it simple for Christmas. :bangin:

noooooo no migraines!!!!! I'm sorry you're having to contend with a migraine, sweetie. Do you have means to treat it? I'm on a medication that keeps them away topamax... It works wonders. We've tried everything else and they were giving me toradol because nothing else was working, then they discovered topamax works to control the migraines... so my physician asked if we could try it. I haven't had a single migraine in 9 months time. I've been on the medication for about a year now. A neat side effect? I've dropped 40lbs. :D

You're in my thoughts, sweetheart. Hope you feel better soon.

~<3

~morning

• Like 1

My sinuses have had me waylaid a part of almost every day for about 2 weeks,so I feel for you,Roxy! I read somewhere something about how a lot of migraines are actually sinusitis and sinus headaches that were misdiagnosed-? NOT saying that is what is y'all's deal,but I am saying I can definitely relate,as it is excruciating to 'live' with sinus trouble. :compress: Mine never started until I moved back to Alabama as a young adult and have never quit for long...So,Roxy and Helen,I hope you are much better soon! :console:

• Like 2

Kat - sinus headaches can be awful can't they, I get them too and for a long time I thought my migraines were just really bad sinus headaches but when I had to explain them to my Dr we worked out I get both types. I prefer sinus ones as I can drug them up quite effectively usually (love my codeine for these). I can see how some peoples migraines could be misdiagnosed sinus headaches as the bad ones are shockers. Though weirdly they don't phase me the same I'm quite happy when I get one cos I know it's a no migraine day!!!

• Like 1

Migraine headaches are absolutely awful. I suffered with them for 15 years, the last one was when I was 29, then they stopped. My daughter is 32 and is hoping hers stop one day like mine did. I recall I couldn't stand to even move my little finger, I'd have to go into a dark quiet room, lie down and just stay perfectly still till I eventually fell asleep.

In my 30's I started getting sinus headaches. My cure was to go sit outside, it always helped. Sometimes it made the headache go away altogether. I did discover one trick that sometimes helped me if I couldn't go sit outdoors. I'd place a small fan near me on Low, so that all I felt was a slight breeze brushing my face. The pain would often ease up considerably.

Luckily I've found I've had very few headaches of any kind during the past 10 years or so.

We had some freezing rain here today, turned out to be not as bad an ice storm as we feared for most of the state. I'd like to get out tomorrow and pick up a few groceries I overlooked, visit the bookstore so I can treat myself to some light reading, and buy my son a shovel for Christmas. He mentioned that it took him an hour to dig his car out of the snow at the dorm parking lot. - Oh yeah, you don't have a shovel over there, do you son?

Helen,I'm glad you get what I was trying to say about the misdiagnosis,as I often get these funny looks when I say it to someone in person,but I really DID read this info somewhere. :) Plus,I've actually had people look down their noses at my sinus headaches as not being as bad as their migraines are-really,people? Really?!? I'm sure a migraine would literally kill me,if it's any worse than my sinus headaches,as I am a total wimp!LOL I'm so sorry you have both!

Grazhina,I'm so glad your migraines stopped and that is an interesting way to treat sinus pain! It sounds better than some things I have done! I use a very hot wash cloth,or an ice pack,or a hot shower,and at times a little Ben Gay type ointment VERY carefully applied to my forehead or either side of my nose. Hey,when you are in that much pain,you do whatever works! Yikes!

• Like 1

Helen,I'm glad you get what I was trying to say about the misdiagnosis,as I often get these funny looks when I say it to someone in person,but I really DID read this info somewhere. :) Plus,I've actually had people look down their noses at my sinus headaches as not being as bad as their migraines are-really,people? Really?!? I'm sure a migraine would literally kill me,if it's any worse than my sinus headaches,as I am a total wimp!LOL I'm so sorry you have both!

Sinus headaches can be very debilitating and painful I think those people have never experienced one and would probably get a real shock if they did! It's pretty much like anything isn't it, unless you've actually experienced something you shouldn't judge it! I guess at least I get variety ... lol. You're way too tough for something like that to kill you Kat - you'd give it a run for it's money :).

• Like 1

I have had sinus headaches ...they are bad...but my migraines are much worse. It went away for a while but is coming back so I am going to bed. I stayed awake to see The Bells of St. Mary's one of my favorite movies.

• Like 3

Had a very pleasant surprise phone call yesterday afternoon from one of my high school chums who now lives in Arizona. She and her husband and grown daughter are in New Orleans for a few days. Haven't seen them in years. I invited them to spend Christmas eve with us, so L and I scurried down to the shrimpers' shacks in Marrero for some fresh shrimp for dinner. (Large Louisiana shrimp are $6.99/lb at the local grocery, but only $4/lb at the stalls.) Got some mirlitons (chayotes) to cook, too. They are a traditional Louisiana dish. And for some obscure reason the local grocery is selling King cakes. Traditionally, they are not eaten until Kings Day (Jan 6) and mark the beginning of the Mardi Gras season, but since the cake is available, we'll share that with them, too.

Tomorrow we're off to a cousin's for dinner.

Found a 50%-off coupon for Michael's, so got Katherine Dewey's book, Creating Lifelike Figures in Polymer Clay. She gives incredibly detailed instructions for construction in several scales, including 1:12. I tried to use the Creager videos on YouTube, but she leaves out some critical bits with a message to see her DVDs for more details.

DH ran last minute errands yesterday (we none of us stir out of the house Christmas Eve & Christmas Day) and tried to stop at Wally World, since we always get DS#3 a $100 gift card from them for his Christmas gift; DH couldn't find anyplace to park, and he said every line was full of cars circling the lot trying to find an empty spot; so he thought of something else and we got it ready to give DS in the AM.

I'm going to have to go to the grocery store on Thursday.

I have had migraines and sinus headaches. They are different, but equally bad IMO. My DW usually gets nervous when I get one. She's unnecessarily worrying about a cyst in my head being the culprit, but that isn't possible. Unless she has to pull a lawn dart out of my forehead, it will never be a problem.

It looks like we're cooking all day today. I can't for the life of me figure out why. We started soaking a turkey in brine yesterday and DW went shopping this morning. I'll probably start by making cranberry relish. I'm not supposed to have anything with cranberries in it, but I'm gonna cheat this one time. :p

If my wife wasn't working the next 4 nights in a row I would fill the tank on my bike and take it for a long ride tomorrow, but that will have to wait for another day.

• Like 2