What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Today after work I kept my sister's 11 year old daughter and 3 year old grand-daughter for several hours while she and her daughter-in-law went over to New Orleans to pick up her DIL's 8 year old son who flew in from California for the Holidays.

The girls and I had a blast,taking a long walk-the 3 year old's favorite thing to do when she visits-and we played on the lawn,(where we learned Aunt Kat just cannot turn a cartwheel any more-when did that happen?!?) then all 3 of us piled into our hammock to swing and giggle for a long while. It's been so blissfully warm here today-like Spring!

Then we went in and filled up on pizza and hot dogs and the 11 year old and I looked at Orchids on Pinterest and some photos on the GL forum while the 3 year old watched "Tangled" or played with a musical stuffed snowman of mine or talked to the cats through the screen door...when she wasn't curled up on my lap! :D She kept calling me 'Cat in the Hat',btw. She's got some new Dr.Seuss books,apparently!LOL

My niece loves The Orchid in general,and KathieB's pottery shed and Blondie's Llama Drama-there were many other things,too,but I think those were her favorites. :)

I gave her several tiny things I've been saving for her. A teeny tiny porcelain baby penguin was a big favorite,as well as a Sculpey clay witch's hat I never got around to giving her for Halloween! She got tickled at the simple little mod lamp made from the dispenser button of a large detergent bottle-someone here on the forum gave me the idea...some bead perfume bottles topped off the cache and she was so happy!

Then she showed me her new 'thing',making flower pens-she makes petals out of several colorful rolls of duct tape and attaches them to fat writing pens. She said she sells them at school for a $1.00 a piece!lol That's my girl! They're really cute!

She gave me several ideas for future projects (she thinks I 'need' a dollhouse done as a shoe and dress shoppe :D) and is hopefully going to start coming over more often so we can build something together. :)

Roxy,I told my sister about your photo and how nostalgic it made me and she got the same wistful look in her eyes I must've had. She said that like me she would really love to go visit out West again! Of course,we never will-no money and all that....But I will be sure to show her your photo when we get more time. All in all,I had a great day! ^_^

• Like 2

Next on the replacement list is a washer and a microwave , looking on the bright side I'll have mostly new appliances :D .

Whew!! You surely have had a spell of it. Glad your vehicle is up and running. As to your appliances, has anyone thought to check your house electrical system, just to make sure that something isn't shorting everything out or some other weirdness with the electrical? Would hate to see you get all the spiffy new appliances and find the same problems occurring. Just thinking out loud ...

Wonderful day, Kat! How fun.

Here, we are getting ready for Christmas, finishing projects, preparing for a tree (Monday, then it stays up through New Years) and, as always, I have my full time plus job from home. Everyone we know has serious problems/challenges right now so our focus is on making life as wonderful as possible.

• Like 2

I think things might be turning around , more good news today . Chad's car doesn't need a motor , just a timing belt and a water pump , yay!!!!!!! a couple hundred dollars instead of a grand . The people that run the garage are so decent and hard working and they have two of the cutest little boys I've ever seen . They were telling John about their neighbor and how they had bought a few things for the family for Christmas to help out , and how the little girl had wanted a dollhouse . :banana: He came home and told me so I got some furniture and people together , along with hats , scarves and a baby doll , and sent her my other house . I am so glad that both of my past builds will make two little girls happy . So now I have a spot Opal and Katie's place , :D .

• Like 6

Everyone in New Mexico was at the supermarket today all thinking they would beat the "rush"...ha ha We are having a pork tenderloin roast for Christmas and salmon tonight!

Its starting to snow! Ho ho ho :xmas_tree:

• Like 3

A story to make you smile... :)

Lawson's WAVE Team performed at a mall today, it was a 45 minute performance. It is a pretty warm day here in GA, 72 even at 7pm. Those of y'all that watched the videos know ho much energy is used, and those kids worked up a sweat.

During the very last song, a stranger came up and plopped a case of COLD water on the table in front of my mom, and said to give it to the "dancers". Then he left the mall. Wow!! :)

Where do you even get a case of water already cold?? Those kids were so very thankful, what a sweet gesture from a stranger!

• Like 5

A story to make you smile... :)

Lawson's WAVE Team performed at a mall today, it was a 45 minute performance. It is a pretty warm day here in GA, 72 even at 7pm. Those of y'all that watched the videos know ho much energy is used, and those kids worked up a sweat.

During the very last song, a stranger came up and plopped a case of COLD water on the table in front of my mom, and said to give it to the "dancers". Then he left the mall. Wow!! :)

Where do you even get a case of water already cold?? Those kids were so very thankful, what a sweet gesture from a stranger!

That's more than Wow! Seriously, that was a Christmas Miracle Story!

• Like 3

We spent most of the day cleaning and cooking. We hired a nanny service for the kids so my DW and I could attend a party. The kids loved her.

I have been contracting with a company that designs and runs electronic document storage and organizing for several years. The owners of the company live locally, but are from Poland (where their company has an international division). They invited us to a party at their house this evening. The vast majority of their guests were either Polish or Ukrainian, so we had some very interesting conversations. While I was there I ran into two former colleagues and a local County Judge.

I would have loved to have stayed longer, but we only reserved the nanny service for 4 hours.

We spent most of the day cleaning and cooking. We hired a nanny service for the kids so my DW and I could attend a party. The kids loved her.

I have been contracting with a company that designs and runs electronic document storage and organizing for several years. The owners of the company live locally, but are from Poland (where their company has an international division). They invited us to a party at their house this evening. The vast majority of their guests were either Polish or Ukrainian, so we had some very interesting conversations. While I was there I ran into two former colleagues and a local County Judge.

I would have loved to have stayed longer, but we only reserved the nanny service for 4 hours.

Maybe you made a job contact or two? That would be a bonus.

Yuckky weather here, and a rare day home, so I cleaned, then discovered the generator gasoline ended up in the tractor, so before the ice storm hit I went to get gas, and for some reason decided to bake bread and stood in line for 45 minutes to pay for 5 pounds of flour. When I got home, I found the bag I bought previously just where it belonged, along with a fairly full cannister. (Sigh.) See, Karma is that if I have actual gas, I won't need the generator. The power only goes out if there's no fuel for the genny!

Finished knitting the third pair of fingerless gloves for my current piping students and wrapping them. I don't know if the roads will permit lessons tomorrow, but we usually don't need the gloves until St. Patrick's Day anyway.

First batch of home made bread since the heart attack, and I think my altered recipe to remove as much salt and fat as possible actually turned out pretty good. [No grandmas were injured during the baking of this bread.]

• Like 2

Sounds like something I'd do Gloria :rudolph:

I'm making home made bread and lasagna and a ham with all the fixings for Christmas. :xmas_tree: I figure I'll cook , pig out and kick back - my kind of day . :xmas:

• Like 1

...not do'in minis right now! :(

excuses: :violin:

...no room in rental house... :bangin: buying a new home ... :ohyeah: playing around with new CNC machine... :lamo: hectic, but happy holidays... :xmas_groucho:

The rental is furnished so all our stuff is crammed into 1 garage bay, the attic, cellar etc.

The new house we're trying to buy is a ranch style in Yarmouth, Ma. The closing will be in Feb. I can't wait!!

It has a good size, warm & clean basement for a mini workshop. My section is about a 23' x 10', & its away from W/D, furnace, etc.

The CNC machine I've had for 3 weeks now - still haven't made anything yet, LOL. Not as simple as I thought!

I'm still learning & experimenting. But maybe soon I can make mini stuff for all you guys too!

Feel free to ask what the CNC machine can & can not do.

• Like 1

W-e-l-l-l-l--whle I was on the forum earlier I heard a crash, breaking glass and a thud. Threw on clothes and went to look and found a 15 foot branch had come down and caught the rear windshield on my Toyota Matrix. Called my brother who sells Toyotas, and he says it sounds like about $500 worth of damage. (Just the amount of my deductable! Are we surprised?) I'll know more after taking photos and getting the chainsaw out.

Major American holiday 2013! At least it wasn't ON Christmas Day.

I would also like to know about a CNC machine. Gloria, I have altered bread recipes for years due to BP and cholesterol issues.

It's a computerized machine to bore holes, or make precise cuts multiple times. The operator/machinist prgrams in the desired cuts/holes, and feeds the material thru to process the wanted parts. They are so cool.

Thanks for the info! Also for the compliment. I learned to cook when I got married, since we both like to eat and were on a most limited budget most of our marriage, so adventurous and creative were necessary.

Can I ask what a CNC machine is?

Thank you Gloria :)

Kathie, Holly & anyone who's interested:

CNC: Computer Numerical Control. Computer software controls the motion of a router: Left-right (Y), forward (X) , up & down (Z).

I can cut out any shaped wall/floor/roof or make cut outs for windows/doors/stairwells (any shape or size) up to an inch thick. To cut thinner wood (less than 1/2") I need to place a thin board or veneer on a thicker board. To cut thicker than 1" - in the CNC or Sketchup software I can slice the object up, carve or cut each slice - then glue the slices together. I can import stuff from Sketchup (3D drawing software) & the CNC machine will carve it out for me. The spiral cutting bit is 1/8" dia. similar to one for Trio or a rotary tool bits. The carving bit is 1/16" dia. round tip. I need to find a 1/32" bit for finer carving tho. Cutting goes fast - following the outline of the shape. Carving goes back & forth like a printer - way slow in the best mode - we're talk'n hours, but it's worth the wait.

I'll have to do some photos of my 3 weeks of experiments. :prop:

Thank you Gloria :)

...I'll have to do some photos of my 3 weeks of experiments. :prop:

That sounds like almost as much fun as watching the computerized lathes at Louisville Slugger turn big blocks of wood into beautiful baseball bats!

The sun sorta came up, and I took photos of the car after I fed the horses. It isn't pretty. Going to have a cool, windy ride to work tomorrow, provided the chain saw works. Failing that, the tractor and a chain are options.

I think that I am staying home today and just chilling.....literally and figuratively!!! Minis are on hold until after the holiday pretty much. I made a cheesecake last night that came out really nice!!! I thought for sure it would be more of a pancake with the usual altitude issues but I think it worked!

Watching football later and maybe wrapping my gifts.
:bear: