What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

When it rains it pours...LOL

Now we have to replace the front door doorknob. It all of sudden decided it does not want to open or you have to jiggle to get it to open. It is okay until Friday..we can use the back patio door to get in..it is keyed also.

Now I have to buy a new set and go to the locksmith and have them change it so it is the same key as the old one. Ugh.

I am telling you..the powers that be want me to go a little coco in my cocoa puffs..LOL It is like this every Spring. You start cleaning and then you start discovering stuff that has to be fixed or replaced..right now

So I will be going to Home Depot and trying to be good. I want to buy some plants sooo badly but it is still too nippy out for them. I will try to avoid the nursery area all together.

We went back to the Lake Jackson Indian Mounds archeology site to hike, and were SO glad to see that they have moved the trail that used to go over the tops of the Mounds. We stayed on the trail and there's one place near the end where all the rain we've had has turned that section of trail into a water course, and where there were downed trees to cross weren't very stable and I got my feet wet. Gorgeous day!

Long couple days at work, basically 10 hour days with 40 mins drive each way. Glad I'm a little more local tomorrow, only 25 mins away. I'm there hopfully friday too, then 2 mins down the road walking on saturday, and then off for 11 days :thumb: really looking forward to that!!

Got my second dress fitting on Sunday. My shoes got delayed again, which I'm not happy about, but so few places to get shoes that I don't want to cancel the order or anything like that, want the shoes and want them to fit!

Gotta sort out flowers for the wedding next. Some of our friends said they wanted button holes/corsages, but not getting them for everyone, so gotta figure out how to do that too. Think maye wedding party one colour and then friends that want one another colour.

More babysitting Robbie and the twins. Robbie can pitch some might terrible two tantrums these days. And I'll be doing a lot more of it, because Aileene will be doing a two month job with the census, so 8-4, 4 days a week. Ugh! Getting up before the crack of noon! Maybe it will help regularize my sleep schedule for a while.

The upside is that I should have enough money at the end of this to build my studio or shed. And Robert has volunteered to help build it. My brother and another friend will be helping as well, and possibly my neighbor too. This will help with my overcrowded house! :giggle:

Going for a haircut after lunch and then back to the dentist to let him see that my lip is healing, and get groceries on the way home. This time next week we'll be at Fred Gannon Rocky Bayou State Park, prepping for the Panhandle Trace Hike.

Had a long day yesterday with a class full of second graders who like to fight with each other. I wondered why the other 2nd grade teachers kept asking me if things were going alright, and it started about lunchtime. I don't know what happened, but they all came back mad at each other and it was a miserably long afternoon. So I didn't do a thing last night but try to stay awake until a decent bedtime!

Gosh, Sherry, that group sounds like a real energy drain!

We spent most of yesterday at the VA seeing various doctors and have to go back tomorrow for a CAT scan. It's about 80 miles away, so the day is pretty well shot. On the up side, there is a Hobby Lobby and Michael's in the same town.

This afternoon someone is coming to do an energy assessment on our li'l old house. And I still have to finish the taxes.

So goes my week.

Thank goodness we have a back door! Last night somebody slammed the front door (after they were told not too because of the lock) and now the door will not open at all.

The latch will not turn when you turn the knob. I tried to jimmy it but that did not work either. I read that I can use a hacksaw to cut the latch off (in between the jam and the door) so that I can get the door open.

Ugh!

I will probably have to call a locksmith now. More money. I am really getting tired of this..ROFL

I know I know..such is life. This is what happens.

I will be debating on the hacksaw vs just calling the locksmith today.

Just counting down the days till the weekend. Happy to learn that I have a buyer for my studio apartment in Maryland. Just eager to go to closing next week!

Other than that, just waiting for the weekend to work on my dollhouses! :giggle:

Heidi

Would pulling the door henge pins allow you to "Undo" the door and change out the lock and stuff?

Yes, do try this before you attack with the hacksaw. If you pull the hinge pins, the door will open easily from the hinged side. Even if they're painted, tap from the bottom with a heavy screwdriver and that ol' pin will slide right up.

The plate that is on the inside of the door should pop off with a screw driver. Then you can see the iside of the mechanism and locate what jammed up. You could tinker with it and attempt to open the door. Heidi, with your talent I don't think you need a lock smith to come put a new one in. You changed thermostats so I know you can do this too.

We got the door open. It was a team effort. Fred accidentally broke the mechanism inside the door. Money to a locksmith flashed before my eyes. He jiggled on the outside and I fought with the jam with a butter knife from the inside. She gave in and opened. I do know how to change door knobs. It is one of the easiest do it yourself jobs on the planet.

I was getting ready to figure out how to get the door off its hinges but a bit of swearing and fighting got the job done..LOL

Tomorrow is going to be an extra busy day so I will probably not be on here until later.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a new locking knobset from the hardware store than to call in a locksmith? What a good time to get new keys, too!

We went by the dentist yesterday so he could see that the place he drilled my lower lip is healing OK. I also got a much-needed haircut, and I was ready for Spring, dammit! so it's ALL off!

Four more hours of work tomorrow, then I'm off until the 8th. Can't wait!

Chris didn't get the job, but he's ok, disappointed, but he didn't feel so confident about it anyway, so he wasn't surprised. He's got another one he's applying for, so maybe that'll go better. On the plus side they said he could ring for some feedback, which isn't usually available, so hopefully that'll be useful too!

Looking forward to lots of miniing next week. Chris is at work until thursday, I've only got one evening with stuff to do on the monday, then the rest is mini time! yay!!

Sorry to hear about Chris's job results, but he's bound to find one better suited, and meantime the feedback might be helpful.

I'm thinking I want (turkey) ham & waffles for breakfast this AM, with fruit.

I watched Jamie Oliver's new show last night, and what a shock! I'm sorry to say the early signs of pre-diabetes showing up on the 12-year-old was no surprise; we started doing BMIs on our students a couple of years before I retired, along with vision & hearing screenings, and what an eye-opener into our childhood obesity epidemic! And we school nurses fought like tigers with the different school cafeteria staff to try to get healthier food served.

you know Holly, you can serve whatever you want to those kids and they will just throw the spinach, green beans, etc, in the trash and eat the bread and fried fish sticks. I've watched them do that for years, and when their parents send snacks for them, or sack lunches, it's chips or cookies. I've said for years, that whether it's diet or education, until the parents are willing to work with them at home, schools can't change bad habits.

I have been very busy the past few days. Chelsea started working as a teacher/assistant....LONG STORY..so I have been busy and not been able to be online. I will fill you all in tomorrow morning.

Smooches!

you can serve whatever you want to those kids and they will just throw the spinach, green beans, etc, in the trash and eat the bread and fried fish sticks. I've watched them do that for years

I can remember the classic example back in my high school in the 60's. On pizza day they'd serve a slice of pizza with a boiled egg half. I never saw a single kid eat the egg, they all wound up in the trash.

Today I am bored out of my mind. I decided to take on one of those cleaning jobs I've been putting off. Fortunately it requires waiting for something to dry every now and then, so then I go sit down and read a few pages of my book.

Also worked on NEM. You can see prices right away now, instead of having to click on each thing. DH was against it. Of course, every time I make a change on the site he says" don't do that". He thinks we'll muck it up.

The two of them, DH and DS, went out for a driving lesson. Turns out the kid needs a photo ID for the SATs on the first of May, and since we didn't bother with getting a school picture this year, he doesn't have one. If he doesn't get his liscence (I give up - I can't spell liscence correctly), I'll get stuck sitting with him at the BMV waiting for one for an hour or so.

If he can drive, I can send him out for stuff instead of going myself. It's all things the menfolk want half of the time anyway.

I guess I should go and and start cleaning another section now....sigh.

Actually, it makes your life easier in a lot of ways when the kids can drive. No more taking them to school, practice, to a friend's house, and they can run chores for you. Just get yourself some strong tranquilizers, good insurance, and get used to worrying the entire time they're gone.

I can always get DH to take us out for supper, the magic word for him is "RIBS"... Tonight we stopped at the first BBQ sign we saw & it was a Korean BBQ restaurant. I was too chicken to try the kim chee but the pork was outstanding! and they had a tofu & cabbage soup that was yummy and bean thread noodles with veggies that I ate for a salad.

Phew..a break.

Chelsea and Natalie are on their way to Boston today for a Youth Buddhist gathering of some sort. Bye bye!

Chelsea is working again with the garden/veggie/teaching non profit. She is back again being the teachers assistant...sort of. The teacher`s mother has leukemia and is going through chemotherapy. The teacher is having a rough time and asked to have a leave of absense until the summer. So they are having Chelsea teach the classes on gardening tues, wed, thur, and fridays. She is teaching Pre-K, K, and 1st graders. Their teachers are present. This is really good for her. It is giving her an opportunity to see if teaching is something she really wants to pursue. Plus she is getting extra hours in and it will look good on her resume. She only has to do it for the Spring. If the teacher does not come back, they will hire a new teacher. Chelsea is lucky that the teacher had all the lesson plans done ahead of time.

Natalie has joined in on a Wednesday night choir session at our local Unitarian church. She likes it very much.

So I have been busy. My whole schedule has been messed up..LOL I usually help (volunteer) with Chelsea at the garden because I like it and we get to spend some time together. So I have been doing that and getting her to the school every afternoon. She can usually walk their from the office but she has to bring a huge barrel of dirt so I bring her. She is actually giving some serious thought to getting her license. I am glad for this! She has been so against it for so long but now I think she is ready. We will see....

I got some interesting news the other day. Chelsea is working and saving and hanging around for one reason. She is waiting for Natalie to turn 18. They want to move out together! I will believe it when I see it..LOL

So today the house is ours! He is still sleeping. I am enjoying the quiet. I think we are going to go out for lunch later. Steak place! Yummy!

No kids means the dinner that WE want..hehehe

Honey curried mustard boneless chicken breasts (marinating right now)

Onion crusted sweet potato oven fries

Pan fried Swiss chard.

Yummy!