New member to the group

meglet

Hello- My name is Meg and I am new to the dollhouse world. We have just bought the Pierce for my 5 year old daughter. My Dad has offered to build it for us and hopes to get it done by Christmas. He is a skilled carpenter and has done some furniture building and model building in the past but has never built a dollhouse. He is also retired so he has a fair amount of time-so we will see... I would like to leave as much of the inside unfinished so that we can decorate the rooms with my daughter as she grows. I have read that staining and scoring the floors is best to do prior to gluing. What else needs to be done on the interior prior to the build? Should we coat the walls with a primer or can that be done after it is built. He lives 2 hours away from me so I will not be able to consult with him in person that often so is there someplace on-line that I can find the room plans or layout. He also does not have internet, as crazy as that sounds, so I hope to post questions for him as they arise. I am so excited I keep going on line to look at the dollhouse. I think I might be more excited than my daughter will be!

Hi and :) Meg!

In my opinion it's easier to prime and wallpaper prior to assembly however, some have successfully done it differently.

I just can't fit my hands in the tight spaces after assembly. Really and truely, it's what works best for you!

Good luck to you dad, and how sweet he is!

:) Meg!

There are some tight spaces in the Pierce that might be hard to get at once it's built. I have one that I'm working on rehabbing, and it is looking like it would be MUCH easier to do painting & wallpaper, at least in the small spaces, *before* putting it all together permanently.

Another bit of advice, apparently the Greenleaf instructions suggest using hot glue to build it, DON'T! Whoever built mine used hot glue and it's now falling apart. (It's not a pretty sight! :drool: )

~Jeni

Hello and welcome to the forum! Above all DO NOT USE HOT GLUE to assemble this dollhouse. I know it says to do it in the instructions, but please do not do that! Have your dad read all the instructions before beginning.

Wolfie

Welcome to the forum! One thing you want to remember, don't put the inside window frames on if you plan to wallpaper. I recently learned that the hard way. I now have to cut my wallpaper around the window frames. This is the world's funnest hobby! And incredibly addictive. I now have my friends searching miniature sites and craft stores for new treasures for me. HA! Quite a few people now want to build one themselves...Take note of all of the helpful advice you get here. It is indespensible! Enjoy your new toy! Pam

Hi Meg - welcome to the forum! :banana:

There is a huge wealth of tips and info. here, just waiting to be explored. It's a shame your dad doesn't have internet, as he could see firsthand all the neat techniques that members have documented in their blogs. You will have to be the "middleman". :( The Pierce is a lovely house! What a wonderful Christmas present for your little girl. Perhaps you'll need one of your own, too!

Hi and :banana:, Meg!! I would prime the walls before building. This will help seal the wood until you are ready to decorate. I would also think about what to do with the tight spaces that will be harder later. I usually prime before building and then wallpaper afterwards. Enjoy!!

:(

Belated welcome, Megan. Since no one else has mentioned this, something that will help your dad & you is for him to dry-fit the house before gluing, where the house is assembled with masking tape instead of glue to see how it looks and to figure out those tight, impossible-to-reach-after-assembly places you will definitely want to decorate first.

In addition to NOT using hot glue (carpenters wood glue such as Tite-Bond or Probond come to mind), ask him PLEASE not to install the windows or doors with their trims until AFTER thewallpaper/ paint/ exterior treatment. Those acetate inserts are easily damaged and can be glued in after the trims are sanded and stained or painted. There's a section for FAQ that includes a LOT of good tips for tools & building techniques you might want to copy & print off for your dad. Do look at the building blogs, especially those by the folks who have built the Pierce.