Just Another Newb

Hi Everyone,

I'm just another newb with a rather amusing story. If you have nothing better to do, keep reading. :unsure:

Once upon a time there was a wonderful mother (my mom) who loved dollhouses. She and her daughter (me) built a lovely dollhouse together about 15 years ago. We never decorated it with flooring and wallpaper, but we bought a lot of nifty furniture for it in the hopes of one day finishing it.

Well, it never got finished. As the daughter grew, she often thought of the sad half-made dollhouse left unfinished in the mother's attic. The mother promised the daughter that as soon as she moved out, she could have the dollhouse to complete.

The daughter did so... and the mother changed her mind. She decided that the daughter would have to be on her own for five years before receiving the dollhouse.

The daughter did so... and the mother changed her mind. She promised that the dollhouse would be given when the daughter got a larger home.

The daughter did so... and the mother changed her mind. She promised that the dollhouse would be given when the daughter got married.

And the daughter did so... and the mother changed her mind... AGAIN.

So the daughter got fed up and bought her own dollhouse kit.

And that is how I became the proud owner of the Harrison dollhouse kit. Although I have helped my mom build a dollhouse before, it was 15 years ago, so I consider myself as green as they come. I'm sad to see that in my area there are not as many dollhouse stores and resources around as when I was young. There are only two true dollhouse shops in the metro Milwaukee area; the rest are just extensions of hobby shops. Therefore, I'm really glad to find this group of people.

I've been reading posts, and so far I've learned:

1. Don't use hot glue. Use wood glue.

2. Don't buy 5 jars of stucco (too late); buy 5 rolls of masking tape instead.

3. Stairs are a pain.

4. Wire everything before you wallpaper.

Is there anything else a newbie should know? I didn't see a lot of posts about my particular dollhouse, so if anyone has experience with the Harrison in particular and can offer any helpful insights, I would really appreciate it. :angry:

Welcome to the forum Julie, glad you found us. I can't give you any specific help with the Harrison, it is on my wish list for later though. But I think there are several who have this house and will be glad to help.

The main thing I can add to your newbie list (you did good reading and getting those hints) is to dry fit your house before glueing to see where you may have problems or to mark the parts that you may want to change. Also, I always keep wipees handy, so I don't glue myself to the house :unsure:

Yeah Peggi, gluing myself to the house would definitely NOT be good. Just added wipees to my list. Thanks!

Also, thanks for the welcome, everyone! I didn't expect replies so fast! :angry: Miniatures + the Internet = VERY cool! How awesome to share a fun hobby with other people!

Wendy, your pictures of the Harrison are beautiful! Did you decide what to do with the upper room? I thought it would make a great artist's studio, maybe?

I'm so excited to begin, but a little nervous that I'll mess it up! The best line I read on here went something like this..."It's only a dollhouse, it's not brain surgery." I'll have to keep that in mind when I'm thoroughly confused or overwhelmed. :unsure: I'm just glad I found a place where it seems like you can get help along the way! Thanks for making me feel so welcome! I'm sure I'll be back with questions as I build.

Welcome to the forum! As you work on your house there will be times when it will feel like brain surgery...LOL That's when you turn the house around, and go take a hot shower! I've been so frustrated a couple of times, that I threw a blanket on top of it, just so I'b have to not look at it and take a break! I wouldn't not redo any of them. You'll have a good time too! Good luck with the build, you can do it!

Hi Julie, Thanks! I did put a wicker patio set that I had made in there and had taken out the diningroom furniture to redo the chairs to go in the Gloucester which I'm presently working on. It just wasn't appropriate to have a diningroom on the third floor but I was at a loss. In the beginning I had the room as a sewing room but I think it is really much more suited to a sitting room of some sort because of the balcony. I can't wait for pictures to see what you do with yours. Have fun!

Hi and :whistle: Julie!! I built a house with my mother more than 15 years ago. My problem was my parents decided to downsize while I was still in college. I no longer have my dollhouse from then, but am working on my third on my own.

I haven't built the Harrison yet, but there are always many people ready to answer any questions that may arise here. Good luck and enjoy it!!

:shifty:

Welcome to the forum! As you work on your house there will be times when it will feel like brain surgery...LOL That's when you turn the house around, and go take a hot shower!

No, just turn it upside down like I do! Puts everything into perspective, LOL!

HI! Welcome to the forum!

Love the Harrison! its a great kit.

my biggie tip after no hot glue is....

put windows in LAST. the "glass" is easily damaged and not easily repaired.

put your windows someplace safe untill you have decorated inside and out.

ohhh and make sure you remember where the someplace safe is!

Happy Building

nutti :whistle:

You mean like Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's upside down house Linda? :whistle:

Hello and welcome to the family Julie! :shifty:

ANOTHER Wisconsinite!! We really gotta do something specific to Wisconsin, now that there are several of us here!

The Harrison is a lovely house! Don't be afraid to experiment with your building, and don't hesitate to come back with questions. The folks here have been VERY helpful to me, a relative newbie, and I'm sure they will to you, too.

Welcome to the forum, Julie.

2. Don't buy 5 jars of stucco (too late); buy 5 rolls of masking tape instead.
And a large tub of vinyl sackling compound instead of the jars of stucco.
3. Stairs are a pain.
No, they aren't; they can be a lot of fun, actually, like putting on the shingles.
but a little nervous that I'll mess it up!
If you read any of my Team building blogs you will learn that "messing up" is a wonderful excuse to bash, or to try a different technique!
Also facilitates painting the ceilings!

Welcome to the forum Julie! The Harrison is a gorgeous house! I have one "in the box." As soon as I finish all of my other I promised it I would start and finish it too - in turn!

That is quite a story you have about your house. Sad, funny, and perhaps all too close to home.....

Wolfie

Wow, I didn't realize that there were many Wisconsinites here! If any of you are ever in/near Milwaukee, please stop by Rose's dollhouse shop in Brookfield. Apparently they've had slow business lately, and I'd hate to see another dollhouse shop fold.

At any rate, thanks for the ideas about the windows, Nutti. I've hidden them away in my upstairs closet until last.

I do have a nice hobby knife with different styles of blades that I use when teaching my students how to construct their balsa wood model bridges. That's a lot of fun, too!

At any rate... BIG news! Today when I was visiting my parents, my mom pulled out five boxes full of dollhouse furnishings! She told me to take what I wanted! I was totally surprised at that! My mom is really awesome. :ohyeah: Maybe if she sees that I do a good job on this kit, she'll let me help her finish the old dollhouse that we started together!

Now I really have an incentive to get going. I bought the last of my supplies today so you probably won't hear back from me for a bit as I get started. But I'll post pictures as I go so that you can tell me what I could do better! :whistle: Thanks, everyone, for being so helpful and encouraging. What a great community to be a part of!

Oh and another thing...what's this I hear about turning the house upside down? Does that help with anything in particular other than ceiling painting? Also, the tips about gluing and doing a dry run first sound very helpful. Thanks!

Welcome, Julie! Loved your story - and the happy ending. Maybe your mum will join the forum and start on her house again. This forum can be as addicting as the mini habit - so many people who are kindred spirits, ready to share their experiences (good and bad), their questions, tips, and sometimes just a good laugh.

what's this I hear about turning the house upside down? Does that help with anything in particular other than ceiling painting?
It actually serves a very useful function of broadening your perspective of the house. When it's on end or on its roof you may see something else to doo to it or add to it or another way of doing something. When I'm assembling the shell I'll flip it on its different "faces" just to let it speak to me in more detail.

After a while you find that the kit talks to you, telling you how it wants to look and what it wants tweaked or bashed. The trick is to be very careful talking back to the kit or holding extensive conversations with it, that your family isn't within earshot, since they usually cannot hear the kit the way you do (unless, of course, they realize you're the sort of person who hears dollhouse kits fussing at you to get them built, like my family).