Is it normal for tab not to fit?

Corey

All the paint and varnish is finally dry so I started putting together my Chantilly.

Wow. It's hard! I know you are supposed to put the sections together using an X instead of a + but it was still very difficult and I was so afraid I was going to break something. I had to use a soft mallet and sandpaper to get one of the tabs to do what it is supposed to do.

Is this normal or am I screwing it all up? :lol:

...and painting the outside before hand has its disadvantages as well.. Turns out I did not paint part of the outside because it is part of the interior wall and I painted (ruby red) a part that really should go on the inside. *sigh* :yes:

Normal, no but it does happen and when it does that exacto knief really comes in Handy :yes: :lol: Just one word of caution PLEASE use a sharp blade. Everytime I have cut myself BAD was chopping at the tabs with a DULL knief blade and you'll lose a finger in an instant.

:banana:

Normal, no but it does happen and when it does that exacto knief really comes in Handy :lol: :banana: Just one word of caution PLEASE use a sharp blade. Everytime I have cut myself BAD was chopping at the tabs with a DULL knief blade and you'll lose a finger in an instant.

:wave:

Careful Tracy, you are going to scare her. :yes: I am in total agreement with you though, on both things. As far as the painting boo-boo, that is something that can be fixed. I ran into the same problem with my Orchid.

I always prim my houses AFTER it's built because the wood does swell and sometimes the primer or paint can make the wood thicker and not fit into the tabs. This is simple to correct so please don't get worried :yes:

Careful Tracy, you are going to scare her. giggle.gif

Hey, I keep so many spare blades around here I should never have a dull blade in the hobby knief but I still do it :lol: (And the definition of insanity is?? That's right....TRACY :banana: )

I learned the hard way not to paint the tabs. You wouldn't think that little tad of paint would make a difference but it does. A good way to sand the tab and/or slot is with an emory board.

My fingers are scared!! :yes: :lol:

That is a great idea about the emory board... I was trying to jam the sandpaper down in the slot hole and was not having much luck. I am stuck in the hurry up and wait for paint to dry stage but will try the emory board as soon as I get back to it.

I am having this same problem with my Beacon Hill. Like Peggi said, you wouldn't think that little amount of paint would make a difference. But that is why I am very thankful for my dremel. If the tab is just a tad to big to go in the hole, I just sand off a little bit on each edge of the tab and wa-lah, we have a winner :yes:

I used to spend so much time trying to enlarge the slots. I felt like such an idiot when I realized I could just cut down the tabs to make them fit. :p

I find this happens a lot and an Xacto knife does the trick.

I usually do the painting, staining and varnishing before I assemble, so it's just a building step for me to shave the tabs before I start putting it together. I little shaving with the xacto blade or a buzz with the dremel usually gets the fit perfect every time.

Deb

What is this Dremel you all speak of?
It's the brand name of a rotary tool that make some aspects of mini-making/ building much easier. Elsewhere there's a post of all the jobs a rotary tool can do, such as sanding, cutting, drilling, routing and turning.

One of the purposes of the dry-fit is to locate those areas that need extra sanding or tabs that need shaving. I find that my Exacto craft knife is too lightweight for me to use safely, so I invested in a Stanley utility knife/ boxcutter with retractable blade and extra blades because a new sharp blade is the safest way to cut wood without cutting flesh.

Tabs not fitting is something that I deal with on a regular basis. Its rare for my tabs to fit in the slots for some reason. I dont know if maybe the fact that I live in Florida has something to do with it because of the high humidity and sweilling wood. I think it might be because I dont see many peope complaining about this often but it happens to me ALL of the time. The house that have me less problems with this was the Fairfield. Light sanding or a knife can take care of it as everyone suggested. Ive had times when Ive had to take them completely off in order to get a nice tight fit.

I also prime after the house is put together. And never never paint the tabs! Sand them and cut them to fit yes, but never paint or stain them. Some tabs are said above fit better than others. I fit before I put the house together to make sure, and then "whittle" em down a bit if needed.

Wolfie

I find that my Exacto craft knife is too lightweight for me to use safely, so I invested in a Stanley utility knife/ boxcutter with retractable blade and extra blades because a new sharp blade is the safest way to cut wood without cutting flesh.

Agreed. I said Xacto but I meant utility knife. :p

I painted and stained my glencroft before assembly, and some of my tabs just WOULD NOT fit.

I tried forcing them until I realized I could just trim them.

I trimmed a lot of them.

On the next house, I plan on doing a dry fit and will avoid painting/staining tabs.

And a dremel is MAGIC. This time I will use my dremel for sanding those little buggers down.

I FINALLY BOUGHT MY FIRST DREMEL TOOL AFTER WANTING ONE FOR 40 YEARS. BOUGHT THE MODEL MULTIPRO 3956-02 FROM AMAZON, ALSO GOT THE 697-06 TOOL KIT FOR MUCH LESS THAN $100. IT HAS BEEN PUT TO MANY USES AND IS SUPER.

I have three Dremel rotary tools + flexshaft plus the B&D version (RDX) and a Stylus I haven't had a chance to use yet, plus the Dremel sander. I have the router table and drill press, too. You will want to wear safety glasses/ goggles and a mask when sanding/ cutting.

Those tabs may need some "persuasion" at times... I usually run a piece of masking tape along the tab so that I won't paint/prime or stain that part and when the paint or whatever is semi-dry I just take the tape of and that leaves the tab ready to do some trimming to if needed.

And as far as painting things in the wrong colours, well :p that has happen on several occasions, that is when one needs to sit down to have a sweet talk to the house to see what we need to do :ohyeah:

Hugs

My husband has a large amount of power tools so I just asked him:

Me - Hey Chris. Do you have a Dremel?

Chris - Yes.

Me - YOU DO ??

Chris - Yes...... Whhhhy?

Me - *batting eyes* Can I use it?

Chris - You and power tools? Hum. No.

:p

My husband has a large amount of power tools so I just asked him:

Me - Hey Chris. Do you have a Dremel?

Chris - Yes.

Me - YOU DO ??

Chris - Yes...... Whhhhy?

Me - *batting eyes* Can I use it?

Chris - You and power tools? Hum. No.

:p

LOL, well he might get used to the idea eventually, but if you can't borrow his (or he pretends that atleast) you can awlays threaten with that you then need to get one for yourself and mark it "his" and "hers" ...

I like the machines that sounds "vrooom" LOL and DH has just got used to that idea... He has made me promise I won't get the "bigger" ones running when I am home all by myself...

Hugs

I found out we had a dremel in the house, too when I started doing miniatures.

BUT...it seems like there was a lot of red tape involved in getting to "borrow it" - so I went to the hardware store and bought my own.

It came with all sorts of thigns - sanding tips, cutting tips, grinding tips. Everything.

I am very happy I got my own.

My MOM gave me a dremel kit for Christmas last year, love that tool! Also, I've never painted my walls before assembly. I've put the bodies together, then painted them. I do paint trims, and doors, and window panes before glueing them on though. Also must agree with Traci, about the dangers of DULL exacto knives, and bullheaded tabs.( Not ready to disclose how I know LOL)

Is it normal? hmmmmmm what is normal? does it happen...yes

are you the only one who has resorted to using a Hammer on your beloved house to make it comply??

HECK NO!

sometimes tabs can be to large or just a tad off but painting and such can make this a worse problem....not so much problem as an issue to deal with. I sometimes cut my slot longer or cut the tab shorter depending on the situation. and there are those times when a hammer is the house's best friend. and no using a hammer on the house doesnt mean you have "bashed" it...even if you did! :):D

from the looks and sound of things everything is going great and you are making some good progress!

Happy Building

nutti :throb:

PS....I am actually quite afraid of my dremmel...Ive had one to many sanding drum thingies go flying accross the room at 2000mph. I do wear my safty glasses but those dont protect my body should one of them thingies come flying at me. I only use it if I absolutly have to.

pathetic isnt it? :yes: