Hello and Help!

Beloved

:beer: Hi,

I'm brand new to both making dollhouses and chatting on line. I've always loved dollhouses and minitures. Perhaps it's because I'm under 5 feet and shrinking (or is that miniturizing). I'm 57 years young, a kid at heart and love to play and have fun. :lol: I love to learn new things and through the years have picked up a bit of knowledge about tools and how to fix things that need fixing. :p

I have decided to build my first minature dollhouse. Trouble is, I don't know where to start. :yikes: I really like the front opening dollhouses but don't know which one would be a good first choice. Like Goldilocks, I don't want a house to big or too small . . . but just right. I also would like to wire it for electricity. Although I'm not an artist, I would like to take this house beyond the kit level stage by adding touches of whimsy and fantasy. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. . . . . . Beloved

Hi Christina, and :yikes: !

In deciding what house to build first, many here will tell you to see what house "speaks" to you. You'll know it when you find it.

As to wiring, there is a tutorial which KathieB posted about elsewhere here:

Good Luck, and we look forward to hearing from you again, soon!

Hello and welcome Christina! :yikes: May I suggest looking through member's galleries to see what houses "pop" out at you? Might be a nifty place to start, and give you some drool factor as well!

The sky is the limit when it comes to dollhouses, and minis. Let your imagination run wild when it comes to building and decorating houses. I suggest you start with a smaller kit, and build onto it. Most houses are easily adaptable to additions,basements, porches etc...As for which house to build, let it pick you. You'll find one and truly fall in love. You'll know the right one, when you see it.

Have fun with your new found hobbie, and welcome to the forum.

Hi and welcome--Also check out the building blogs--it will show you many different ways one house can be made to look like.

Glad you joined us and look forward to hearing which house you chose.

As everyone else is saying...........you'll know the right house when you see it. I, too, had never done anything like this before - and my first house is an 11 room victorian open in the back with a front-opening side. I did all the tape wiring and it works and everything...lol. We can do anything!! Just have patience learning new things, and it will be your dream house.

My house is a work-in-progress, but I just set up a website for our mini-club and there are photos of my house there. Look in the Creating section and then click on Marilyn's Minis.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

post-952-1174238931_thumb.jpg

post-952-1174238972_thumb.jpg

Hi and :wave: ! I'm glad you found us. I agree with everyone else about finding a house that speaks to you. If you want a front opening house there are less choices. They tend to be European houses though Real Good Toys has a few. I'm not sure who else does besides The Dolls' House Emporium. Most American made houses open in the back. You will definitely find one you like though, I'm sure. I would also say start small to learn techniques and then go larger on your next one. Good luck!!

:yes:

If it has to be front-opening both the Cheltenham and Gloucester were front-opening (and possibly available from time to time on ebay) as are those available from Dollshouse Emporium in England. I think parts of the Foxhall & Thornhill from RGT are also front-opening.

If it's because dust may be a concern, it's quite possible to make removable plexiglas covers to fit the backs of open-back dhs.

I find that some kits call my name and others, like the first one I ever built, an all-wood Dura-Craft San Franciscan, quite literally fall into my hands. When the right kit comes along, you'll definitely know it, and at your hands something lovely and unique will emerge.

The building blogs are one way to see how a single kit transforms under the different hands & minds & imaginations of the individuals building them.

Welcome to our forum. Please look through our gallery and blogs sections. You'll see many examples of how the dollhouse kits can be transformed. I don't think anyone would be able to recommend one house over another. Each has its own special characteristics. Good luck, and I'd love to know which house you choose.

-Susanne

Hello and welcome!! As has been mentioned before, when you see a house, you will just "know" that is the one for you. If anything, you will have the same problem I do.....there are only about 10 houses you want!! For now I am dedicated to my Beacon Hill. But as soon as I am done (maybe 20 years from now), my list of new houses I want will be pretty long. Hmm......................

WELCOME!

I'd suggest getting a catalog from the company you like...if Greenleaf or Real Good Toys. Try to get a catalog with their houses, I prefer a real catalog vs online. And just flip thru them looking and figuring out which will be for YOU. It might take a bit. I still browse my greenleaf and real good toys catalogs looking for the next perfect one!