minidee

:yikes:

Hi! I'm new to the miniature world.....I have been working on my first house for the last 5 months. I have always had a fascination with miniatures, and finally decided to do one for myself. Little did I know how addictive it would become. I'm an artist, and enjoy various crafts. Building a house is the ultimate craft project, using all the crafting knowledge I own, and learning a few new ones. I bit off a pretty big house for a newbie: The Harrison. I wanted a lot of rooms. It's been wonderful to have it through the winter, keeping me busy! My biggest challenge anymore, is staying away from the dollhouse shop we have locally. Fortunately she is open only certain days....or I probably would be in trouble. The inside is nearing completion except for all the decorative details I will probably be adding for some time. Now when I'm shopping, I see everything in a new way.....miniature. You know...oh that would make a great this, or that. My husband says I'm obsessed....I say....it could be worse obsessions.

Anyway, to introduce myself, I'm a registered nurse approaching 50 years young. I live in the beautiful valley of Walla Walla Washington, known for our onions and wine. I have two long haired mini doxies that are my children. I drive a mini cooper. (See a trend?) I hope to get back to art full time once I decide to retire from nursing. My mini house has given me so much pleasure, that I'm sure this won't be last one. I don't really have any burning questions yet, but it will be nice to have this resource.

We will be talking! Donna

Hi Donna!

I'm new to and am really a beginner. If you have time would you tell me how you decided on which house to start with and what was the most difficult part and easiest part of the whole process. Many thanks, Christina

WELCOME to the neighborhood!!!!

You are very correct in that dollhouse crafting is a celebration and conjoining of one's many craft talents...I am also very crafty and artistic and it seems that when I build and decorate a dollhouse all of those skills learned thru my life come into one! I paint, woodwork, and have a flair for decorating and this hobby brings them all together.

I have to avoid the local dollhouse shoppe too many times. I have also been known to buy more than I should and hide them in a cabinet as I am too embarrassed for the hubby to know how much stuff I have......his memory is so short over time he won't realize it was something new anyway. HEEHEE

Hi Donna!

I'm new to and am really a beginner. If you have time would you tell me how you decided on which house to start with and what was the most difficult part and easiest part of the whole process. Many thanks, Christina

I know your question was for Donna, but I'd like to say that if you have not begun or bought a house yet, a smaller cottage is a great way to get your feet wet. Starting on a big one can be fun too and if you don't want to build more than one it makes sense to start out with the one you will want to end up with....but for me I started on a four room cottage and got a lot of practice. Then I moved to a midsize. I think a kit like the Arthur is a great first project.

I am yet to build a great big one yet only due to lack of room. My vermont Jr by real good toys is about as big as I can really go for now.

Welcome Donna!! You were right about one thing.....this hobby sure is addicting!! I just started my Beacon Hill a month ago and addicted is the only word to describe it (according to my dear husband). Glad you found us!!

Welcome to the forum Donna, so glad you found your way to our mini world. There is a lot of talent here and everyone is willing to answer questions or share information. The Harrision is one house on my "must do" list one day. So please share pictures and information about your house.

Beloved, about choosing a house--my first was the Lily and I love it, but it was a difficult first time build. A great learning experience and with the help of this forum it turned out great. But if I had known how addicting this hobby can be and that it wouldn't be my only build, I would have started with a much smaller build. Another thing to consider, is price range and how elaborate you want it decorated. Can you make alot of stuff yourself, etc. Also, think where it will be displayed and how much room you have to show it off.

Look through the galleries and also the Team Building blogs--you can see lots of the same house done up in so many ways, and lots of different type houses. Take your time and browse to your heart's content and one will eventually let you know that it is the one for you.

Welcome to the forum, Christine, my first kit was the Dura-Craft San Franciscan, talk about biting off more than you can chew! It took 3 1/2 years to build it for my eldest granddaughter, partly because I was going to nursing school at the time.

Welcome to the forum, Donna. I was the age you are now when I started the abovementioned nursing school. I retired three years ago. Which house are you building? Please share pictures.

Welcome to the forum Donna :yikes: ! I say, build the house that "moves you" the most. We have many "newbies" building large houses (They started at the top, they picked the Garfield) and then soe of us started with smaller cottages. Eitehr way, as long as you like the house, you'll enjoy building it :p !!

Hi Donna!

My most time consuming part would have to be painting the trim work! Windows ,doors, gingerbread trim and shingles

:yikes:

Hello and welcome!

I love the Harrison, it has large, pretty rooms and i love the window seats! I am building this house myself, it's in progress and i had to move it to the basement for the moment as i have to many other houses in works and no room to build...i want to get back to that one soon :wave: I hope that you will take lots of pictures to share with us!

I'm also an RN!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and a belated welcome to the forum Donna, the house and its interior sounds lovley!

I am pretty envious over th fact that you have a mini-shop nearby....

Mini-hugs