Add a front yard or Not?

Ms. Mini

Ok I know I should actually be working here at work (do people really do that? Lol) but I keep thinking about my Willowcrest. Caleb and I have been discussing this a lot since the house is almost complete. He was planning on building me a turn table of some short to display the house nicely. There is only one problem. I want a front yard. Now I’ve never done a front yard before so this is all very new to me. Caleb was saying that if I was to do a front yard I would need a large space for the table to go that isn’t up against a wall that way it could turn 360 degrees… well I hadn’t thought of that before *growls* so now I am going back and forth between two different ideas. I could:

A: have a front yard, and just put the house on a regular table up against the wall. But then you wouldn’t be able to see the inside very much :giggle: also keep in mind we live in an apartment so there isn’t much room.

B: give up my desire for a front yard for the time being and just be happy with the turn table.

If I do allow a front yard. How do you guys normally go about attaching it to the base of the house? What type of material do you use? A sheet of plywood? I didn’t need a HUGE front yard. Just something where I could put a little fountain and some grass and flowers maybe? What do you guys all think?

I put a little front yard on my Orchid by simply putting the house on a piece of Masonite. It is flush with the back of the house (no back yard) and only adds a couple of inches on the sides and 4 or 5 inches on the front.

This picture shows it dressed for winter. There is grass under the snow, which is not glued down. The grass is glued to the board. The board is glued to a lazy susan. The whole thing sits pretty close to the walls (in a corner) and turns freely.

The Willowcrest doesn't look to have a very big footprint. I think you and Caleb can work this out so you're both happy. :giggle:

You should add a bit of front yard. I feel it gives life to a house. All you need is a few inches. The bungalow I'm working on will have shrubbery and a bit of grass on plywood panels from3 to 6 inches wide. I plan on just placing the panels of shrubs, etc up against the house.

For my other houses, I designed the house with an oversized base with room planned for shrubbery. The bungalw is too big though. If I had it on a bigger base it wouldn't fit through my workroom door.

Here's Tall Chimneys, it just wouldn't be the same without a bit of garden.

untitled.jpg

Why can't you put it on a round board. No corners and it would take up less space than a rectangle board. It could be mounted on a turntable. You can get round table tops at home depot or go to a second hand store and buy an old table with a round top and use just the top.

For my Beacon Hill, I made the garden on a separate sheet of plywood and then abutted it to the front of the house. I have this house on a large dining room table, so I don't have to turn it around and can access both the front and back at anytime.

When I built the Orchid, I put it on a larger base so that I could landscape on three sides. I have this in my granddaughters' bedroom and have placed it on a maple tv stand. I have it up against the wall, but can easily turn it around as the tv stand has casters on it. It's also handy that i have a footstool right next to the bed (enables one of my cats to easily jump onto the high bed) that I can sit we can sit on when we access the inside of the dollhouse.

I really believe that landscaping makes the dh more of a home. I also really enjoy the landscaping part of the build.

-Susanne

Thanks everyone for the pictures and the advise. you all really helped out alot. I have decided i MUST have a front yard. I agree it just adds life to a house. And caleb will just have to deal with it if it takes up a few more inches in the room :giggle:

if a yard is what you want than you should have it.

personally I think a microwave cart is the way to go.

can be put against the wall or moved out for play or looking easily with room underneath for other projects.

or one of those zero clearence turntables. but a cart would get my vote.

for the girls Willowcrest...mommy had found an older side table and my DH put wheels on it.

everyone is happy!

have fun!

nutti :)

hear, hear!

if she wants a yard, she should have one. and some topiaries as sentries beside that pretty door, too.

ps: don't most subdivisions have yards?

When I built my Cambridge DH built me a shortened version of a workbench he had built for DS#3, but without a fixed top, and he cut me a piece of plywood a bit longer than the depth of the house. Once I "finished" the building, paint & paper I covered the plywood with "grass" paper from the hobby shop, set the house on the board level at the back, and went berserk landscaping it. It made it easier to haul downstaire where it sits on a commode table in the livingroom. I keep the front turned to one wall so I can access the back, but the yard is reachable from the side.

( also landscaped the Coventry Cottage I built. I don't really think I want to landscape the store, since it would just be concrete sidewalks & asphalt or dirt alleywas (smaller board), and I just can't get worked up about garbage cans & a dumpster.

My Garfield has a yard....I wanted a deck so I made it from plywood. The plywood is covered with grass and sits on a turntable then on a table. I had to put a rubberized floor mat between the table and the turntable so it wouldn't slide. It works great! Now the only problem is the Garfield has a very large footprint so you need alot of room for it to turn. Your Willowcrest seem quite a bit smaller so I don't see a problem there.

Here's a picture from the kitchen side of the house:

Garfield with yard

and from deck side:

Garfield deck side

I actually just ordered a table with a top that turns because I think it will be more secure, we'll see

Yes to the yard.

I want to make a yard for the E.R. Mostly because of the way the front staircase kinda just hangs there. I can see it snapping off! :)

Once I start building I will have to get measurements and get to Home Depot myself!

ditto on that heidi. i plan do that that on my ER for sure!!

ok well i told caleb last night, we are having a front yard. lol im so excited! I cant wait to go to homedepot this weekend!