Ouch!

ilovecats

I have a mini related injury!

I was so innocently puttting together the Vineyard cottage....almost done btw...just going to leave off all of the railings until i can spackle and paint (that was a fast and fun house to build btw)....I had decided to start building the shell of the Brimbles....okay i'm getting to my point here. I decided to glue one last piece of wood on the vineyard and the tab was just a little too big, so i got the exacto knife....my thumb was a bit close...while i was daydreaming...yep...sliced off a chunk of fingernail and a piece of my thumb underneath it. Had to cut off the rest of the piece (and my chunk of finger) with the nail clippers...am i grossing anyone out here :laughbounce:

Bugger. :huh: yep it hurt like heck. Now its just had a dull pain. I think i'll live tho. I keep causing pain because i am bound and determined to start on the brimbles shell today. I keep smacking my thumb when i'm trying to punch out the pieces. Had to take a break to eat something i was getting clumsy and that may be why i was being dumb with the exacto knife. ya gotta eat when your working on minis and i haven't had but a snack this morning.

Just wanted to share my dumb experience so that everyone remembers safety when using sharp objects!

:whistle: Marg, I hope you're doing OK with that thumb. Do remember to keep it covered and use antiseptic on it -- you do have a current tetanus shot, don't you? Hate to bring that up, but hands are incredibly suspectible to infection, so keep an close eye on it. And, BE CAREFUL -- we don't want you re-injuring yourself.

Marg, I am so sorry you hurt your finger dear!!! Be sure your blade is very sharp because that is when I have my most accidents. When it's dull, I put too much pressure on the tab I am trying to cut and then the darn knief BITES me :whistle:

Take it easy and I can't wait to see your Vineyard Cottage!!

yikes Marg...Hope your finger feels better soon. I think I've done something like that in the past. It's a bugger to heal because you keep hitting it or getting it wet right?

Nope, didn't gross me out. I'd ask for more gruesome details, but it IS past halloween.... I have a lot of animals and I always have to patch up something or pull something out or clean up something. I just don't do well with needles.

Neosporin invariably causes my booboos to infect. Don't know why. So I usually just let one of the dogs lick my wounds. I heal right up. (gross?) Let yours air dry to skin over before you bandage it. How about that second skin brush on stuff. My daughter likes to use that.

Marg, you sound like me, just cut the damage part out and keep on trucking. :whistle: But the buggars sure can be sore for a day or two, I won't give any advice on how to take care of it, sounds like all my ideas have already been stated.

I'm assuming that since Marg is a nurse she knows how to care for self-inflicted injuries, what I'm still trying to figure out is how she, who is a nurse, and lives with another nurse (an ER one, at that!) would even think to ask if an injury description is grossing people out?! rotflmao! When my nursing school classmates & I would go out for lunch together or supper after a clinical we'd notice people gather up their food & move to tables further away from us!

When my nursing school classmates & I would go out for lunch together or supper after a clinical we'd notice people gather up their food & move to tables further away from us!

<cackle> You sure know how to clear a room!

Marg, I'm sorry to hear about the thumb incident. Nothing hurts worse than an injury to fingers. (unless it's to toes) I hope it's feeling better soon.

I keep smacking my thumb when i'm trying to punch out the pieces.

I do that a lot too and there's always a lot of cussing when I do, but I tend to hurt myself less with minis than I have with other hobbies. The most common injury with quilters is running the rotary cutter over a finger. The bad part about that is when other quilters hear about it, they don't ask if the person was seriously hurt, they ask, "You didn't bleed on the fabric did you?"

Deb

ouch im sorry that happend to you! i did almost the same thing tonight. i was triming wallpaper on my WO and i slipped and sliced off a huge chunk of the side of my middle finger. its very deep and i have a huge bandage on it right now. Caleb thinks i should go to the ER but i dont want stiches. we'll see. i hope u feel better

Jenny, I do that all the time, so my SOP for slices is to put immediate pressure on it, run povidine iodine or peroxide (whichever one I get to first & can open one=handed) over it to flush it and place pressure back on it for fifteen to twenty minutes. If it's still bleeding I go ahead and make a pressure dressing on it and leave it on for a day or two. I mentioned to my doctor's office staff that I work with tools so they are good about reminding me to get my tetanus booster.

Yep, I think one time I posted that one of the first things in dollhouse building to do is get that tetanus updated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe we ought to add that to the list of what you need :whistle:

Thanks for the advice everyone, you're all so sweet!

You would think i would have a current tetanus booster, but.....i'm guessing my last one was about 12 years ago :hug: Well i'll have to take my chances, cuz i ain't sitting in the waiting room of an ER for one! It will take away from my dollhouse building tomorrow. :thumb: :)

lol Holly! When I'm with other medical staff i will tell the gorriest of details and not thinking anything of it, (in fact yesterday I was describing the time I was in nursing school, working part time as a nursing assistant...okay i'll stop there, it's a real ralph factor with that one :Jumpy: ) although i was asking if anyone was grossed out here, didn't stop me from describing it all :lol: :lol:

You should have seen me taking a shower with one hand a little while ago....what a painful experience. I got my thumb wet, and as i was holding it up out of the way, i bashed it into the shower wall. Surprisingly enough, Andrew didn't hear me moaning and cussing :whistle:

:lol: I have had a few cuts myself since I have become more active with a hobby knife. Usually, I just get bruises from running into things. I am so clumsy, my DH and my boss tease me. "Been walking long Judi?" is a standard phrase at home and at work. But I keep on dancing! :whistle:

taking a shower with one hand a little while ago....what a painful experience. I got my thumb wet, and as i was holding it up out of the way, i bashed it into the shower wall.

:whistle: lalughing WITH you, Marg; been there, done that! :lol:

Poor Marg, I hope your hand gets better soon :( I have some Sesame Street bandaids for ya once it heals a bit better!

Thanks that would be so sweet! We only have 2 bandaids left, so can i borrow a couple? :(

Marg, I am so sorry you hurt your finger dear!!! Be sure your blade is very sharp because that is when I have my most accidents. When it's dull, I put too much pressure on the tab I am trying to cut and then the darn knief BITES me :(

Take it easy and I can't wait to see your Vineyard Cottage!!

It was a dull blade! I've changed it since!