Ebay, Etsy, and Craigslist posts

fov

1 hour ago, Muriel said:

The design is beautiful, but somehow I'd want the caning to be stained the same color as the wood. The two-tone doesn't say  luxurious baby cradle to me.

8 hours ago, Muriel said:

Sadly unavailable in the UK.

Here's the text:

NEW BUFFALO -- Into miniatures? Richard Pleimling is, in a big way.

Never mind that the New Buffalo man, the owner of Twin Cities Caterers, has no grandkids. What he does have is an inventive mind and enough stick-to-itiveness to build a see-it-to-believe-it, 47-room, 1920s Victorian style 1/12th scale (1 inch = 1 foot) mansion, complete with all the furnishings a 6-inch occupant could ever want.

No wonder it took him 35 years, working on and off, to complete it. The final touch, added earlier this month,was a bowling alley in the basement, adjacent to a swimming pool and just off the coal-fired heating plant.

"It's my lifelong thing ... (but) I never thought it would be," said Pleimling, who started the project in 1978 when he was half his current age (70).

Standing 51/2 feet tall and mounted on a 6-by-10-foot platform, the spectacular structure features removable rooms that allow easy access to the mansion's many surprises. Among them are a game room equipped with a blackjack table and a bandstand that's situated under a mirror ball, all of which light up; a z scale model train -- the smallest possible -- that was manufactured in Germany and actually runs; quarter-inch ceramic tiles that line the floors of the structure's 31/2 bathrooms; and, adjoining the two-story windows to the pool (each required 200 hours to build), a brick facade Pleimling produced with tiny bricks he individually cut from small stones acquired at a building supply store.

Details, details

"It took forever to make those. When I cut 'em, they would shatter," Pleimling said. "I thought that when I get done, I'm going to have the same disease as the coal miners have because I breathe this stuff."

The floors are pegged hardwood, most of them walnut, oak and pecan, and the roof -- actually, roofs, as the mansion essentially is two separate houses adjoining one another -- consists of asphalt or cedar shingles or poured tar. The mansion's detail is such that there's even rolled insulation fitted between the individually cut rafters in the attic.

The furnishings, some handmade but others acquired at miniature outlets and antique toy stores, set the place off, with seemingly no detail overlooked. In one bedroom, for example, there's a pull-down bed and nearby desk where the corded telephone receiver -- remember, this is the 1920s -- is noticeably off the hook.

"You know, you don't want to be bothered," Pleimling said. "If you've got a bed that pulls down from the wall, you don't want the phone to ring."

As for the model for the mansion, it exists only in Pleimling's mind, as does the structure's occupant. It likely would be a doctor or lawyer, he said, or perhaps someone with a seedy background.

"Maybe a gangster," he said, referencing the Prohibition era when the mansion would have taken shape.

Any of Pleimling's perceived occupants would have enjoyed knocking down pins on the bowling alley, which includes pin setters fashioned from cookie cutters and bowling balls comprised of painted marbles. Also, they'd no doubt appreciate getting behind the wheel of one of the two 1932 V-16 Cadillacs parked in garages behind doors that, like the mansion's many other doors, all open and close.

Tap the brakes on the antique cars, Pleimling said, and the brake lights and dashboards light up.

Without grandkids -- Pleimling and his wife Barbara are parents of a son, Scott -- Pleimling's project essentially represents the hobbyist's personal pursuit of perfection. His handiwork may even be a factor in his still being around, he said, pointing out he was diagnosed with cancer not long ago and his push to complete the dream house while he recovered from surgery performed by LaPorte urologist Dr. Carey Ransone allowed him to keep his mind off his ordeal.

"For some reason, it was meant to be, but I don't know why," he said.

The structure one day may wind up in a museum, he said, adding he has no idea regarding its value. He has, however, spotted similar houses in catalogs in which the asking price was $25,000. Those houses are "way smaller," he said, and made of plywood, not the conventional beams that support his model.

As for what he'll do now that the house is finished, Pleimling hedged, indicating more tinkering might be in order.

"It's kind of like your own home. You're never done," he said.

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

The design is beautiful, but somehow I'd want the caning to be stained the same color as the wood. The two-tone doesn't say  luxurious baby cradle to me.

I wonder if you could stain it with a stain pen? It looks like needlepoint canvas.

9 hours ago, Muriel said:

Sadly unavailable in the UK. My Granny lived in South Bend and there was a house at the end of her street that had loads of dollhouses, which on occasion the owner must have opened up to visitors. I was very little so only remember that much rather than any details. 

Are you unable to see the eBay listing or read the article?

Just now, Mid-life madness said:

Are you unable to see the eBay listing or read the article?

The article. Thanks for the details Emily, it reminds me of the Fairy Castle at Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, I loved visiting that. I'm sure many would love to visit Richard Pleimling's house! 

21 hours ago, fov said:

I wonder if you could stain it with a stain pen? It looks like needlepoint canvas.

Definitely needs some aging - to dirty it up into an antique - https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/more-furniture-collectibles/childrens-furniture/19th-century-gothic-revival-walnut-swinging-cradle/id-f_7355513/

that real life version is darker, but caning is/was originally lighter in tone - and aged into a nice darker/grimier tone. 

20 hours ago, Muriel said:

The article. Thanks for the details Emily, it reminds me of the Fairy Castle at Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, I loved visiting that. I'm sure many would love to visit Richard Pleimling's house! 

Yes - thanks Fov - that was a nice article. 

1 hour ago, fov said:

It looks neither functional (as what? she asks) nor decorative, definitely worth neither the USD$80 BIN or the USD$50 starting bid they're asking.:roflmao:

I think someone here had their eye on this old half scale Houseworks kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dollhouse-kit-1-2-1-24-Houseworks-new-but-no-instructions-1/144004819255

The seller has three of these listed, all for $30 starting bid with Make Offer as well. No instructions, but this house seems like it would be easy to put together without those. (Also I have this kit and could scan the instructions if someone here gets one of these.)

Another big ole house.....I really like it. but the price YIKES!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dollhouse-HUGE-ONE-OF-A-KIND-VICTORIAN-MANSION-CHICAGO-MINIATURES-SHOW/333955650681?hash=item4dc14ed479:g:YZ4AAOSw8-VgMr7x

Image 1 - Vintage Dollhouse HUGE ONE OF A KIND VICTORIAN  MANSION-CHICAGO  MINIATURES SHOW

Edited by Mid-life madness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

8k for an unfinished house???!

I love it when they say "an empty canvas for you to decorate" - ok, but I'm not paying 8k for an empty canvas, folks. I want some art...

23 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

I want some art...

Amen!

Sometimes I think non mini people think a miniature mansion should cost the same as a real life mansion!

Edited by Mid-life madness

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

For that price I hope there's some way to remove the glass sun room to finish it.  For that priceI would expect parquetry on the floors, at least.