First Dollhouse ~ Found on roadside

Merrywood Miniatures

Hi all.  I had a dollhouse when I was a child... a Greenleaf Pierce to be exact.  My dad built it for me when I was about 8.  I loved it and spent hours playing, pretending, and trying to make things for it.  Fast forward 40 some years and I no longer have anything but the memories of the dollhouse.  I was talking to my husband about it and told him it would be fun to build a dollhouse.  He in turn told someone at work who said they had a dollhouse they just wanted to get rid of.  Her mother found it on the side of the road with a "Free" sign on it and grabbed it for her, thinking it would be great for her three year old granddaughter.  The coworker then said if we would take it then she would bring it to us just so she could get it out of her house. 

Here is the house and how it looked when I got it, a week ago.

3d2c7ff7-d6dd-48de-95b4-6f5e84de50ed.jpg

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum.  It appears someone did "surgery" on the Cambridge and cut the roof off.  The mansard roof is so distinctive and also functional, as it gives more room.  This Cambridge does need a lot of TLC, but that's the beauty with vintage dollhouses, they can be refurnished and restored.  I am excited for you, the house found a loving home. 

This is the picture from Dura-Craft. 

Dura Craft Dollhouse - For Sale Classifieds

The dress the little girl is wearing is almost exactly the type of dresses my mother would buy for me in the 1990s.

• Thanks 1

Poor Cambridge!  Although it looks bad at this point, it seems to have "good bones" and should clean up nicely.  :construction:  You can add your own touches to it- the porch trims are mostly gone, so it all can be replaced with something new or entirely omitted! That is what I love about rehabs: adding new touches to bring an old house back to a new life of play. :clap: