Need inspiration, what ya cooking tonight

Thimble Hall

3 hours ago, Sable said:

Need assistance from you master chefs. My niece is coming in very late from the U.K. on Saturday nite. We will arrive home from the airport at around 10pm. It will feel like 3am to her. Her friend from our time zone will be arriving, too.  In the AM I'm driving them to Vero. I want to offer them something to nibble on in case they didn't get much to eat on their flights. Plus, I need breakfast ideas. I'm not a foodie and my live-in cook son won't be around to bail me out.  Suggestions please: late nite snack and breakfast.

How about a hash brown casserole for breakfast? You can make it up the day before and just pop it in the oven to cook the next day. Start with frozen hash brown potatoes and add a cream sauce, some sour cream and cheese and bacon.

As for snacks - well, after being in the UK, our snacks will probably be an abomination. How about popcorn or potato chips or some Pepperidge Farm cookies or some slices of pie from a restaurant (don't forget the forks). Other than that, I'm at a loss.

I would do the pancake  with maple syrup , sausage and scrambled egg breakfast ,or Belguin Waffles something they have probably never seen, For snacks snacks give them potato chips with a dip. doughnuts, they are very different in the UK so a mixed dozen will be a real treat., Brownies is fairly new to the Uk. Macadamia nuts are very hard to find in the Uk so white chocolate  chunks with  macadamia nut soft cookies will be very well received.. Add some cheese and crackers and sliced kollbassa or something like that and you have it made.

Just a practical thought, you might want to check if they have any food allergies or strong food preferences, esp. things like dairy, eggs, or gluten or whether they are vegan or vegetarian.

Fresh fruit and a refreshing drink (hot or cold) might be a good snack, a little lighter and easy to get to sleep with.

I agree with Sable about the allergies. It never used to occur to me until my brother was diagnosed with celiac a few years ago. Fresh fruit is a great idea; pair it with some cheese and crackers for a protein boost.

Jodi, one of my favorite things about my AirFryer is how good the Alexia waffle fries come out...much less guilt and no huge vat or pan of hot smelly oil heating up the kitchen. I have also done my own fries in it, but I parboil the cut potatoes first.

Kathi, between the AirFryer and my InstantPot, I hardly have to use my stove most nights, and I cook for 6.

Edited by chapchap73
add content

20 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

This is what I'm cooking for supper tonight (only serving half of it since there's only two of us):  http://www.cbs46.com/story/27814202/shrimp-scampi-napoletano

19 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

:hmm: dunno why this quote box is here ... ignore, please!

Holly ... what does Canadian or Montreal Steak seasoning taste like? How might one replicate it?

5 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Holly ... what does Canadian or Montreal Steak seasoning taste like? How might one replicate it?

McCormick makes a Montreal steak seasoning found in the spice aisle.

Here's a link  for more info.

4 minutes ago, Selkie said:

McCormick makes a Montreal steak seasoning found in the spice aisle.

Here's a link  for more info.

Thanks, Selkie. That's an interesting combo of flavors. If our local grocery doesn't carry it, doesn't look too hard to replicate.

I used the Badia brand of Canadian steak seasoning, it's about half the price of the McCormick's.  I also omitted the stick of butter, the half cup of olive oil was gracious plenty.  I used canned diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil.

Got the menu for my neice's arrival. An assortment of pinwheel sandwiches and cheeses for the late nite snack. For breakfast, my husband went overboard; Eggs, turkey sausage, three types of danish, nutty grain bread, yogurt, fresh fruit and the best OJ in Florida, Natalie's. 

I made quiche tonight, in one of my 7” pie plates, haven’t thought about quiche for a long time.  I used ham, Swiss and broccoli with a sprinkle of leeks on the top.  I love having the smaller bakeware, the 7” pie plate uses 1/2 of a 9” filling.  I also have a 7” angel food cake pan and 7” bundt pan that both take half recipes.  I admit I get tired of food long before it is gone, so half recipes are great.

I cooked 15 beans tonight. I buy the bag of 15 bean soup, but only cook the beans and add part of the seasoning. I don't add any of the soup making stuff. I wish I knew what seasoning that was, so I could just use plain dried beans.

They turned out really good, ended up being a good meal for a dreary day. And easy to make.

Sparkly, try looking up "copycat recipes"  I have found loads of restaurant seasoning secrets in sites like that  over the years or   try " allrecipes homemade spice and seasoning blends". You will probably find it there. Someone was asking for  Montreal steak  or Canadian seasoning a few days ago I think and that is probably there too

I ate tonight..good old British WW2 standby,  fried eggs and homemade chips.

I made shrimp egg foo yung for the first time tonight and DH remarked that it was very good. I just copied Holly's Shrimp Scampi Italiano recipe. It's a lot simpler than my other shrimp & tomato dishes, I'll have to see how he likes it. He's lucky to have me. Yesterday while the power was off and I was out of the house, he wanted to boil some water to make a cup of tea. He had a hard time lighting the gas range using the long butane grill lighter because the electronic igniters weren't working, but he said he persevered and managed to get the burner lit. This reminds me - my daughter recently sent me this card. inside it says - After vacuuming the living room he waited for his medal.

Scan.jpg

• Like 1

I made something easy and delicious the other day. A chicken rice casserole, but wait! This is done just using one chicken breast (sliced lenghtwise and seasoned how you want) and a box of Rice-a-Roni.

Pick the Rice-a-Roni flavor of your choice. Cook the vermillion in a large oven safe pan like you normally would. Push everything around to the sides and lay in your chicken breasts. Mix your seasoning envelope and water (whatever amount the box calls for)  in a small bowl and season if you want. Then carefully pour in the water around the chicken breasts. Bake in the oven at 350° for about 40 minutes. I checked mine at 30 minutes and gave it about 10 minutes more.

Worked like a charm, tasted good, and so easy. All I had to wash was a small bowl and the pan afterward.

4 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

easy and delicious

Can't say much more than that! The only problem I have with using boxed items is that the sodium content is usually pretty high.