Mini blinds

Ms. Mini

So I woke up this morning and looked up at my window and thought to myself. "Mini vertical blinds that would be fun to make!" Now heres my questions... Has anyone done this before? Any suggestions on how to go about make these? Im really intrested in figuring this out so any type of feedback is appericated !! Thank you! :lol:

Hmm . . . what about plastic coffee stirrers? You could cut them to width and use a needle and thread to go through them to simulate the cording. Or maybe a heavyweight paper? :lol:

neat idea! i thought about making shutters, or seeing if anyone makes wooden shutters for windows? i had shutters on my kitchen windows in va bch (i miss my house :D ) and they would fold open and closed, with blind-type openings inside of them. your blinds question reminded me of that. i'd love to see how you do the blinds! send pics as soon as you can :lol:

danielle

I *love* the idea for the roll up bamboo blinds. That's definitely going on the list of things to do.

Vertical blinds.........my first thought was skinny sticks painted white and topped with Wendy's way cool valance. That might be too big for a single window, but for sliding doors or a double window, they might work. I seem to remember someone else making vertical blinds awhile back. Debbie, was that you?

Danielle, if you're looking for premade louvered shutters, you can find various shapes and sizes at http://www.miniatures.com

Deb

• 9 months later...

This thread has some good ideas for vertical blinds, but I'm wondering if anyone ever found a way to make regular horizontal blinds, either mini or regular. With so many new people in the community, maybe some has cracked this case.

The only thing I can think of is to use card stock and thread, but I'm thinking the cardstock would bend with changes in humidity. I can't think of any kind of thin white plastic that might work.

<walking around the house with a bemused expression on my face, looking at everything white> :)

Vertical blinds? Love the idea! The coffee stirrers might be the ticket. As to horizontal blinds, which I swore off of years ago in my real house 'cause I think they're dust traps...of course, it could be my housekeeping that was at fault :) ...do have louvered shutters in all my front windows & I LOVE those...tho' they seem to be dust traps too....really must consider dusting more thoroughly...

Ooops, I really digressed.....horizontal blinds. Why not cut thin plastic sheets (the type you'd get for mini windows) to size. Drill tiny holes in the ends (hello Dremel). Paint them the color you want. String them with crochet thread. Knot the thread under the slats to maintain the space. Glue the top slat to a cut-to-size skinny stick.

And shutters -- believe American Miniaturist had a how-to not long ago on plantation shutters with adjustable louvers. I'll look for it!

If your real mini blinds are like mine, getting ready for the garbage :dry: because of cat and kids :) , or they are too long for your windows. You can take off the bottom like you were going to shorten them to the correct window length and use one of the strips. Cut it down to the scale of your window and maybe use thread or fishing line to put it together.

OMG did I just say that :) . I'm starting to sound like I know what I'm doing :woot: :roflmao .

You really want to make horizontal blinds, huh? What about paper? If you coat it with matt sealer or clear nail enamel it might not respond so drastically to changes in humidity. If you didn't want to fool with impossibly small strips you could make accordion-pleated shades. For vertical blinds, what about strips of interfacing? (that's what mine remind me of)

.....horizontal blinds. Why not cut thin plastic sheets (the type you'd get for mini windows) to size. Drill tiny holes in the ends (hello Dremel). Paint them the color you want. String them with crochet thread. Knot the thread under the slats to maintain the space. Glue the top slat to a cut-to-size skinny stick.

Love this idea - if you use clear plastic packaging it may be a little stronger than the window plastic. (Cheaper, anyway. :) )

Oooooh, Doogster ... soda bottles may be the answer.

And to those who are shaking their heads, my husband the artist is making a model room for a client to show what a mural will look like. The windows have horizontal blinds.

Thanks to all ... some good ideas here!

Oooooh, Doogster ... soda bottles may be the answer.

I was at the flea market the other day and had a "Dansani" water and the bottle had a design under the lable like a "dianond shape" window, not all the bottles have this but I got 3 of them.

I also went to the dollar tree store and found a paper crimper that does a wavey design That would work for blinds. thought of useing it to make coragated roofing out of tin foil.

neat idea! i thought about making shutters, or seeing if anyone makes wooden shutters for windows? i had shutters on my kitchen windows in va bch (i miss my house :thumb: ) and they would fold open and closed, with blind-type openings inside of them. your blinds question reminded me of that. i'd love to see how you do the blinds! send pics as soon as you can :)

danielle

Danielle -- I found it! American Miniaturist, page 51, July 06 -- all you need is basically skinny sticks, sewing pins, needle nosed pliers. She gives directions for fitting them to just about any window.

I have the easiest way to make horizontal blinds.

First take twis ties (the kind that come in lengths)

Cut to desired size

Atach to a peice of wood to the top

Add string and a bead for pull cord

Enjoy!

They are non functing but they do look good. :)

I think starting a thread for making things would be awesome, I have been trying to figure out a way to make a little round table like the wooden ones in RL that have 3 wooden legs and you put a decorative tablecoth on them.... I think they look so pretty.!!

I am thinking using an old mini blind and making the pieces that hang.... and attaching them with fishing line or thread to a ???? HMMM, I dont know what you would use to attach for the top .

Kelly

The vertical blinds I have in my house seem to be made from fibreglass or some kind of shiny canvas. There is a weight strip opn the bottom and they are attached to the rod at the top (by some complicaed system that lets the chain open and close them as well as pull them across the window and back).

Anyway, in mini form, what about using 1/4 inch grosgrain ribbon If you stiffened them with fabric starch or something like that they would hang straight, and you hide the tops under a valance.

You could hang them half open, say, so that they let in the scene from outside, or let people peek into your room from outside the dollhouse.

Susan in New Brunswick, Canada :)