Working with Clay

Peggi

I have only used Sculpy so i can comment on what is best.

I use an old Corelle plate. Nothing sticks to it and it handles the heat of the oven. If I am cooking a white item, I put a piece of foil on top of it so it doesnt discolor.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only used Sculpy so i can comment on what is best.

I use an old Corelle plate. Nothing sticks to it and it handles the heat of the oven. If I am cooking a white item, I put a piece of foil on top of it so it doesnt discolor.

Oh, I'll have to try this! I'm using white Sculpey for a few things for the Travel Trailer. They're going to be painted, but having them stay white instead of toasted would help! Thanks, Heidi.

Just one more comment on the different clays...

Sculpey is not as strong as Fimo. I, personally, like to work with Fimo more than Sculpey, just because it preps easier and isn't as sticky. It also turns out a whole lot nicer for me.

Good luck!

Absolutely! When I first started I found Fimo classic too hard and fimo soft too soft so I went with Sculpy which I really liked!... but it does tend to be more brittle after it's baked especially for tiny parts like mini hands and fingers! Fimo has a higher resin content so it bakes stronger and less brittle. And I don't notice Fimo being harder for me to use these days.. I guess it just took a while to get used to polymerclay of any kind :doh:

Tracy - thanks for the heads up on the Micheals sale - I'll have to make sure I get down there and see what colors I need :D

-David

I cannot SAY what I am making with clay cause it is for the bakery/candy shop swap!

But I have some ideas..Muahhhhahhhhh

Ditto here. (Or at least hopefully) :doh:

Using a lower temperature is a good idea. I've been baking white Sculpey at the recommended temperature, only it's been turning out toasted!

Hi Kathie,

Are you using the regular oven or a toaster oven? I keep an oven thermometer handy - I went out and bought a toaster oven to use just with my clay and found that my clay was getting burned every time! I tested it with the thermometer and it seemed fine but still everything burned - I threw the oven out... then one day digging through the back of the kitchen cupboard I found an old and larger toaster oven.. and figured what the heck - I tried it and it cooks the clay great and nothing burns. The only thing I can think of for the first toaster oven was that it was too small and so even though it was the right temp (acording to the thermometer) I'm thinking that the clay was too close to the heating rods. But I suppose laying the thermometer down might have given an inaccurate reading also <?> Not sure anyway I'm just wondering if you're experiencing the same kind of thing with a small toaster oven of if you're using a big oven.

-David

Hi, David,

I have a question and I know one of you talented folks will answer it for me. I'm new to this forum, and I love the way everyone helps each other. Question--- I have a tabletop electric oven large enough to bake a 9" by 13" cake. If I baked clay items in it will I still be able to use it to cook "people food"? Are fumes a problem? From reading your conversations I have learned a lot, one important being-- No question is a foolish question.

Thanks for your help!

Nancy

Hi Nancy

Welcome to the neighbor hood and that's a great question! From what I've read you can still bake food in your oven but if you use a glass pie pan or pyrex as some people do they recommend you use that pan only for clay and not for food - which is one reason I like the tile - I don't have to try to remember which dish I'm setting aside for clay. Some people do like to use a seperate oven for polymer. I used my gas oven that I use for regular cooking until I found that my old (and larger) toaster oven works well - since I've never really found using a toaster oven for food particularly handy.. I just use it only for polymer. But I still put bigger pieces (posed dolls etc) in my regular gas oven which I also use for baking.

Not sure if that helps any,

-David

Hi Kathie,

Are you using the regular oven or a toaster oven? I keep an oven thermometer handy - I went out and bought a toaster oven to use just with my clay and found that my clay was getting burned every time! I tested it with the thermometer and it seemed fine but still everything burned - I threw the oven out... then one day digging through the back of the kitchen cupboard I found an old and larger toaster oven.. and figured what the heck - I tried it and it cooks the clay great and nothing burns. The only thing I can think of for the first toaster oven was that it was too small and so even though it was the right temp (acording to the thermometer) I'm thinking that the clay was too close to the heating rods. But I suppose laying the thermometer down might have given an inaccurate reading also <?> Not sure anyway I'm just wondering if you're experiencing the same kind of thing with a small toaster oven of if you're using a big oven.

-David

Hi David ... I'm using a toaster oven I got at Wal-Mart. It's not very big. That could be the problem. I"m going to try setting the thermostat lower and see what happens. In a workshop I took recently, Carolyn Eich recommended baking everything at 250F for 20 minutes, so that's what I was doing. The toasted items are pretty thin.

Hi Kathie,

Yep the toaster oven I had that burned stuff was also from Walmart and very small - even my thinnest items were getting burned and forget doing a dolls head - even at 10 min they were getting burned noses. In 20 min they'd be blackened.

I really dread the idea of my old toaster oven (the one I'm using now) going out but when it does I do plan replace it - with another hopefully the same size as thethis one .. or if I can find another one like it from a thrift shop that may be the way to go.

I also bake everything at 250 though I vary the time depending on how thick the item is.

Thanks again for the info.

-David

What is everyone doing with there clay right now?

I'm using black clay to make those jewellery stores busts for displaying necklaces etc. on. I'm also using black flocking to give them a velvety finish. After I've made a few more of them, I want to try making the jewellery store hands for displaying bracelets on. (Not hard to guess that my next step will be to attempt some mini jewellery! :doh: )

oven thermometer... check at your local dollar store
I got both the oven thermometer and the toaster oven at a dollar store (Family Dollar or Dollar General, I forget which). I use the timer on the microwave.

What is everyone doing with there clay right now?

I began making Belfast sinks in mini along with the plumbing for them and was so pleased with the results I have branched out into bathroom fixtures!

Update: I did some more clay things today. Baked them in the Wal-Mart toaster oven that toasted the last batch, but I put a sheet of aluminum foil over them this time. I set it at 275, which is what Sculpey recommends, and what it was on last time, and baked for 15 minutes. There was no toasting at all. I guess the foil protected them from the direct heat of the rod.

I was watching a craft show yesterday on DIY, Craft Lab I think. It showed how the guest used two 9x 13 pans, one inverted over the top and clipped together with binder clips to trap fumes and prevent burning. I don't have a toaster oven, so I don't know if this would fit. Its on my Holiday list. I think the above method may be for a regular oven. I know that tin foil works to help prevent burning. I have a gas oven; it heats from the bottom.

two 9x 13 pans, one inverted over the top and clipped together with binder clips to trap fumes and prevent burning

What about disposable foil pans, like frozen pastries come in? I use the pie tins to bake my clay and they just fit in my little toaster oven.

Great tips!

I haven't jumped in and worked with my clay yet. I have all the tools and clay ready. Andrew found a toaster oven on clearance at walmart for me. All i have to do is summon up some creative juices and make the time to start on my skellies.

WOW I have got to try the boiling technique too. Does it still harden like it does in the oven and doesn't it smell whilst it's boiling?

Does the water have to be bubbling hot throughout the curing process or can be left to simmer?

Great tips!

I haven't jumped in and worked with my clay yet. I have all the tools and clay ready. Andrew found a toaster oven on clearance at walmart for me. All i have to do is summon up some creative juices and make the time to start on my skellies.

Hi Marg

When you do work on them please post and let us see :thumb: I'm having a dickens of a time making my own skelles - Skulls I feel ok about.. but skelles... grrr they don't cooperate with me.

-David

David, are you doing the skels over an armature? I have two female figures to sculpt for the Travel Trailer, and they're giving me fits. Of course it's been a looooooooooooong time since the scuptute class in college!

I'm doing the in Sculpey and finding that as I hand them, my fingernails keep marring the surface. My nails aren't long, but it's a nuisance to keep smoothing them. I left one of the figures down on my workbench earlier. Am hoping when the clay cools, I can smooth out her "wrinkles" with less hassle.

I began making Belfast sinks in mini along with the plumbing for them and was so pleased with the results I have branched out into bathroom fixtures!

HOLLY-

I wanna see pics too! I was planning on making that stuff myself when winter comes and I'm "stuck" inside. I'm ver interested in seeing your work Holly!

BTW - I may be moving down your way.... hubby now actually wants to move to Florida, after 4 years of proding... he's been job hunting down that way. Hoping for Orlando area. Have family and friends there, as well as my parents only an hour (or so) North of Orlando and close friends an hour (or so) east in New Port Richey, where I used to live when I was 19-21.

David, are you doing the skels over an armature? I have two female figures to sculpt for the Travel Trailer, and they're giving me fits. Of course it's been a looooooooooooong time since the scuptute class in college!

Hi Kathie,

I tried making them over an armature.. but I have trouble getting the bones thin enough and still having the wire covered. Then I tried making them without an armature just to get a finished piece to make a mould of but getting the bones to be straigh and hold their shape without the armature is somewhat irksome too. I think when I get time to really sit down and give it try number three I'll end up making and baking them in pieces then assembling - making it all in one piece was probably not the brightest idea I ever had.

-David :thumb: