Working with Clay

Peggi

I'm trying to make some things with skulpy clay. My first attempt. What do you use as your board to roll it out on? and do you put something on it to keep the clay from sticking? My first attempt I had the things just like I wanted, but when I started to get them off the board they stuck and lost all shape.

Any advice would be helpful. Oh I was using plexiglass as my board/base.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have learned that sculpey gets sticky while working with it. I am told it is because of the heat from my hands :queen: . You have to warm it anyway to make it easy to sculpt & create. I am working with it too right now :whistle:

You Polymer Clay folks, what clay is best?

Peggi, I now use a 12"x12" white cereamic tile from Lowes. I also have an 8"x8" size. The tile can go directly into the oven. I also have two dollar store cookie sheets that I work on. I have a pasta machine for rolling out clay. For moving your creation from the work surface to the baking tray, put it in the freezer so it hardens up. It will be less likley to squish when picking up. Polymer clay won't stick to wax paper, like Adellae says. Talc also works to keep it from sticking, but I don't like to use it. HTH

You Polymer Clay folks, what clay is best?

I prefer regular Fimo. Alas, my choices around here are limited to Fimo soft and SculpeyII. I like SuperSculpey and Sculpey Firm but they don't come in many colors.

I use an old Pyrex dinner plate, that way I can use it to bake as well and the pieces dont have to be moved before they are fired.

Its more difficult with bigger pieces though.

(Make sure you keep the plate away from the kitchen when not is use in case someone uses it as a regular plate though, as I am not sure if the clay has any toxic elements in it!!)

I am quite new to clay but gradually getting the hang of it. I have only used Sculpey as its the only one I have found here but I did read somewhere that Fimo is easier to work with.

Good luck in your modelling. :cool:

Hi Peggi!

Here's another vote for wax paper. You can lift it and easily peel the clay off. I also lightly dust my cutting, molding tools with either cornstarch or talc.

I like Fimo (soft not original) and I like the big slabs of Super Sculpy.

Carol

Around here Fimo is the most common brand now, it used to be Cernit and if one hunts it down one might be able to find Sculpey (but unfortunatley not the liquid kinds :queen: , yet that is... hopefully LOL) If one finds the fimo getting way to sticky it is a good thing to pop the whole thingy into the fridge for a little while, that way it cools down and gets less sticky. I work on a tile/glass dish that can be put in the oven when I am curing them that way, smaller items like cookies and itty bitty candy thingies I can as easily pop into boiling water though :whistle: I have a small pot that I use for that and only that though.

Apart from that it is very handy to keep a little bowl of water close by and gently dip the finger tip into the water before trying and smooth things down, the water helps in the not sticking as well.

Been using the fimo/polymer clay for some years now and find it very rewarding to do so, love the translucent clay such a nice addition as well, esepecially since I can't get hold of that liquid Sculpey/Fimo glaze just yet, as the business who has the trade license for this clay over here doesn't think it necessarey to start bringing that in here as well.... Sheesh!!!

Hugs

I second the ceramic tile suggestion. They're very inexpensive and you can work and bake on the same surface. I have several so I don't have to move anything off a tile to work on something else. I used to use an old pyrex pie plate, but I like the flatness of the tile so much better. I've also read about using parchment paper, which can also be baked, but I've not tried it.

Thank you for your wonderful responses. I will definitely try the wax paper with it. This particular thingy has to be turned over, so even using the ceramic tile or pyrex dish and being able to put straight in the oven wouldn't solve this particular dilema. But I do think I have a pyrex pie dish that would work for putting in the oven. The only other things I've made I was able to use a pyrex lid to a very small bowl and use in the toaster/oven. But I'm trying to make things for the upcoming swap (the reason for not mentioning what I'm actually trying to make) and a bigger dish will be needed.

Again thanks for responding, it is appreciated.

I use a glass chopping board to work with my clay on and I roll it with a pasta machine (definitely worth buying if you want to make flowers, food etc). Cornflour is great to use to stop your clay from sticking and working in a room that is cool helps too. Sometimes put my clay in the fridge for 5 mins in - between sculpting just to stop it getting too soft.

Peggi, I now use a 12"x12" white cereamic tile from Lowes. I also have an 8"x8" size.

Me too, used a left over 12 x 12 tiles from my bathroom. I just finished my first attempt at bricks on my Arthur. So far they look good. :whistle:

... smaller items like cookies and itty bitty candy thingies I can as easily pop into boiling water though :whistle: I have a small pot that I use for that and only that though.

I never thought about curing Fimo in boiling water ... how long do you "cook" it?

I use a ceramic tile - it's cheap, it can go right in the oven, or in my case the toaster oven and if I don't want the clay to stick to the tile I use a soft paintbrush and give it a light dusting with corn starch. I don't find that it sticks too bady to the tile without it but sometimes the cornstarch helps if I'm making something very thin.

-David :thumb:

Boiling fimo is the first way I learnt to cure polymer clay actually wayyyy back when we could only get the white cernite. It will get rid of the oily residue on the surface which is good if you intend to paint it after curing. As for how long, it really depends on how large the itme is, but everything from a minute to about five, and one can keep it in the boiling wter until it sorts of float to the surface :thumb:

Oh and another thing, to avoid "shiny" spots where the clay has had a touching point to the surace beneath it, try putting it on a paper towel :D that taeks care of the shine so to speak. And you can also make extra holding props by crumbling up tin foil and add as supporst so that the fimo sculpture doesn't tilt while curing as the heat initially might smelt it.

Hugs

I also like to use tiles, but when I want to avoid the shiny bottom, I bake on a square of cardboard. To avoid any toxic fumes (they only occur when the polymer clay burns) try baking at a slightly lower temperature than the one recommended by the manufacturers, and increase the baking time slightly. (The clay will not burn even if you forget it's in the oven!) I also use baby powder to prevent sticking.

I also like to use tiles, but when I want to avoid the shiny bottom, I bake on a square of cardboard. To avoid any toxic fumes (they only occur when the polymer clay burns) try baking at a slightly lower temperature than the one recommended by the manufacturers, and increase the baking time slightly. (The clay will not burn even if you forget it's in the oven!) I also use baby powder to prevent sticking.

Using a lower temperature is a good idea. I've been baking white Sculpey at the recommended temperature, only it's been turning out toasted!

They do say that individual ovens may vary in temperature - have you tried checking with an oven thermometer, to see if it reaches the correct temp. that you set it at? (Just what I've read, I don't even own an oven thermometer myself. :) )

Shiney spots - on a lot of the things I bake it doesn't really matter becaue the back won't show - but when it does matter I use batting - works great - no shiney or flat spots. Also an oven thermometer is a great idea! I've got a couple of them but check at your local dollar store - sometimes they get them in and it's a whole lot cheaper than buying them at Walmart or Kmart.

-David

I like the idea of batting - sometimes you don't want a flat side (eg. on a baby fairy) to the item, so I can see that the cushiness really helps keep the roundness you want. :p

LOL, I just giggled about this one, you know how tough it is to explain wha tyou have been up to with the fimo, just think about this:

Q: What did you do over the weekend?

A: Oh, I just popped some baby fairies into the oven and baked them...

Hmmm...... :)

Hugs