Working with Clay

Peggi

Hi Kathie,

I tried making them over an armature.. but I have trouble getting the bones thin enough and still having the wire covered. Then I tried making them without an armature just to get a finished piece to make a mould of but getting the bones to be straigh and hold their shape without the armature is somewhat irksome too. I think when I get time to really sit down and give it try number three I'll end up making and baking them in pieces then assembling - making it all in one piece was probably not the brightest idea I ever had.

-David :D

Oh, my ... I have a vision of a teensy bone yard on your table ... and I'm humming, "The knee bone connected to the thigh bone, the thigh bone connected ... " :thumb: :) :taz:

:thumb:

I can see the problem of thickness, though. I started out using pipe cleaners, but their arms were pretty chubby, so I switched to floral wire, 16 gauge, I think, and that's working better.

If you get one made with glued pieces, do you think you can make a mold of it?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get one made with glued pieces, do you think you can make a mold of it?

Yea it was bone yard.. or snake pit one of the two - lots of little polymer ropes of clay but none of them doing what I wanted LOL. I'm sure I could make a mold of a pre-made skeleton but it seems such a waste of time. I mean they cost about 50 cents a piece to buy so why make a mould of them for that price? Plus there's the copyright infringement. I'm sure someone has a copyright on them. So I figure if I make a mould it should be of my own sclupture then I feel good about it and no one else is upset for my copying their creation, and I don't have to try to figure out if I'm using more or less than 50 cents worth of clay to make it lol :thumb:

-David :thumb:

and do you put something on it to keep the clay from sticking?

When Jimmy is rolling out clay, each time he rolls it, instead of turning the board, he lifts the clay up and turns the clay instead. Somehow it keeps it from sticking to the board. He uses the tile in the board method to roll on.

I'm sure I could make a mold of a pre-made skeleton but it seems such a waste of time. I mean they cost about 50 cents a piece to buy so why make a mould of them for that price? Plus there's the copyright infringement.

-David :(

Right ... I was wondering if you might make a mold if you're successful in making one of your own from the bone yard. :banana:

BTW .. I gave up on the little nekkid woman ... her upper half is semi-okay. I may just make her into a mermaid and avoid the whole leg challenge. The trailer will still look okay without the two nudes ... and am thinking I don't want to give ol' Ernie palpitations when he sees the photos! :D

WOW I have got to try the boiling technique too. Does it still harden like it does in the oven and doesn't it smell whilst it's boiling?

Does the water have to be bubbling hot throughout the curing process or can be left to simmer?

It does harden just as the oven curing makes it do :D and no icky fumes, but I have the kitchen fan on high whilst doing so, and it is OK with just simmer as well, I bring the water to a boiling point and then gently pops the items that is going in in it whilst boiling, carefully though as it can sort of spalsh hot water dops on your hands.

Mind you, don't let it boil to long as the oil in the clay "bleeds" out and can make thin long items a bit brittle, but then again it is perfect for if one is going to either paint or use glue on the item.

Hugs

HOLLY-

I wanna see pics too! I was planning on making that stuff myself when winter comes and I'm "stuck" inside. I'm ver interested in seeing your work Holly!

Jaimie, Belfast sinks are in the Glencroft & Coventry Cottage blogs. My first foray into bathroom fixtures was the amalgam of clay & seashells I did for the McKinley, which are in my gallery album of the same name.

HOLLY-

I wanna see pics too! I was planning on making that stuff myself when winter comes and I'm "stuck" inside. I'm ver interested in seeing your work Holly!

Jaimie, Belfast sinks are in the Glencroft & Coventry Cottage blogs. My first foray into bathroom fixtures was the amalgam of clay & seashells I did for the McKinley, which are in my gallery album of the same name.

When Jimmy is rolling out clay, each time he rolls it, instead of turning the board, he lifts the clay up and turns the clay instead

I roll mine out between sheets of waxed paper & I turn mine the same way. It doesn't stick for me.

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to make the main part of the skeleton from wire & use clay to mold the vertebrae & bone ends directly onto it, and then attach a clay ribcage & hand & foot bones & skull & spraypaint the whole thing white after baking...

I bake my clay at 250 degrees F for 25 minutes for heads, torsos & legs; arms & hands I do in two shorter bakes at that temp to keep from toasting dainty fingers; think I'll try the foil "tent" instead.

Foil tents are great for those itsy bitsy items! One cna also rebake things a numerous of times, ie when you have a certain shape you like and don't want to get mushed up bake and cure that, let cool down and then add more clay and erase the seams into the allready baked clay etc etc.

Hugs

It does harden just as the oven curing makes it do :banana: and no icky fumes, but I have the kitchen fan on high whilst doing so, and it is OK with just simmer as well, I bring the water to a boiling point and then gently pops the items that is going in in it whilst boiling, carefully though as it can sort of spalsh hot water dops on your hands.

Mind you, don't let it boil to long as the oil in the clay "bleeds" out and can make thin long items a bit brittle, but then again it is perfect for if one is going to either paint or use glue on the item.

Hugs

Thanks for the tips Anna. What would you say is the best time to leave the clay to boil for?

Thanks for the tips Anna. What would you say is the best time to leave the clay to boil for?

Well it depends on the item really, when I made real tiny items lke cookies/biscuits it was only a matter of 1-2 minutes, when I made chickens/turkey about 3-4 minutes? WHen they are "done" the float more up towards the surface of the boiling/simmering water.

One can also sort of "fish" out the items with a little tea sieve and check whether it is cured or not and put back in the water if needed.

Hugs and goodluck!

Just back from a run to Michael's for their 99-cent Fimo. I inventoried what I had on hand (not much) and figured it was worth the 120-mile round trip. And it was!

Now to make a prototype of the swap items ... and on to crafting them!

Just back from a run to Michael's for their 99-cent Fimo. I inventoried what I had on hand (not much) and figured it was worth the 120-mile round trip. And it was!

Now to make a prototype of the swap items ... and on to crafting them!

Well, a bargain is a bargain is a bargain :banana: Those fimo for 99 cent a piece, hmmmm, that is a good deal in my book :D

Looking forward seeing your new creations when you are ready!

Hugs

One more item in the general clay category ...

I used some DAS clay over the round wheel forms that come with the Travel trailer to make balloon tires with hub caps. As the clay dries, it seems to be shrinking away from the wood a bit, but I figure a few squirts of glue will fix that.

I'm not using the tires on the trailer, but needed 4 for the vehicle pulling it and figured this was the quickest way to go!