10y daughter & I in conflict over doll houses

glen

Glen, the table you made is lovely. Have you tried making stuff like that for sale?

Hmmmm.....and now that I think of it, your daughter isn't so much different than most of us. Our houses are our houses and we don't really consider them playthings. Personally, I'd take the arm off anyone who put their hands unasked into my dollhouse (when it's finished, that is). Yeah, I'm possessive.

Rebecca, there's not a bat's chance I will do something like that. All my miseries and mistakes sawing? Changing my mind every week? I'd drive viewers nuts. Besides, progress is waaaaay too slow. I didn't work on the house at all between November and March and them came April and Easter. And I'm still changing my mind and remodeling! What I really need is a new mind. Set in cement.

Besides, I don't have anything to video with.

• Like 1

I find this a very interesting topic. FIRST - Glen, you are an awesome Dad to build quality things for your daughter. It's obvious you love her very much. SECOND - I find that I can identify with her pretty easily. I am an only child, and after the age of 5, was raised by a single parent (mother). We moved a lot and my few "things" became my security. One was a doll my aunt gave me on my 9th birthday. I played with her myself, but never shared her. I loved my aunt, and I treasured her gift. I had other dolls that I let my friends play with or borrow, and some were broken or lost because of it. But my little "Kathy" was my treasure. I learned to sew making dozens of outfits for her. She traveled with me everywhere we went, and my plan was to eventually pass her on, lovingly, to my own daughter some day. I grew up and married, and had 2 daughters - and only one doll to give. So I waited to see which one deserved my treasure. Long story short - my girls played with their toys the way you apparently want you daughter to do. Their toys were loved, used, broken, and discarded. So I kept my little "Kathy" for myself. She now sits in a china cupboard where I can still admire her, and she is a daily reminder of love and family and happiness.

Your daughter obviously loves you - and treasures your gift. Be thankful.

Rebecca, there's not a bat's chance I will do something like that. All my miseries and mistakes sawing? Changing my mind every week? I'd drive viewers nuts. Besides, progress is waaaaay too slow. I didn't work on the house at all between November and March and them came April and Easter. And I'm still changing my mind and remodeling! What I really need is a new mind. Set in cement.

Besides, I don't have anything to video with.

*hands up* Ok, ok. It was just a suggestion. What works for some doesn't necessarily work for others. I apologize if I stepped on any toes.

@CheckMouse I know what you mean. Recently, I've been delving into the world of horses again. It's brought to life a memory of a treasure I picked up for myself from an island in Lake Huron on a school field trip in 4th grade. I loved every thing about it. I brought it home, with the intention of keeping it safe for years- playing with it myself, but not letting others play with it. But when I wasn't looking, my annoying baby sister would take the horse any way even though she knew that that particular horse (and none other) was OFF LIMITS. She lost the horse's tack, wore off the skin on the poor horse's nose. Unfortunately, I don't know what happened to that horse. Wish I did, but a lot has happened to me since then. There wasn't a lot I wouldn't share either, because I'm just the sort of person to make sure others are ok and having a good time too, but that one horse was a no-no. And we had to share our room, so it was hard to keep any thing privately.

Edited by Bex
  • Like 1