Grass?

GirlPiper

For a small house I used an old dark green cotton bath towel on the rough side and was surprised to see how realistic it looked. I have also used green felt, which was not perfect but an acceptable substitute.

I use noch grass when I want to make a manicured lawn and it's awesome. It's the one investment I won't skimp on in landscaping and the scraps work well enough to use in half scale so there's very little waste and it's the most realistic false turf I've found. For wilder, more natural lawns or freshly turned soil I glue down coffee grounds first, give it a blast of spray glue, and then press on Woodland Scenics coarse turf (comes in multiple shades and colors so it can be mixed for a very realistic effect). Cover it with waxed paper and give it a quick once over with a rolling pin, then a spray of sealer when it's dry, and it's done.

I just remembered that there's a tut for the coffee ground/coarse turf landscaping in the Coventry Cottage team building blogs here. Click on my name and it'll be one of the last entries about landscaping.

I don't have much grass space, but I used green felt. It works well for me, but if you use small pieces of felt the pieces may overlap, or there may be gaps between them. What you use would depend on how realistic you care to be.

I love the product ( found at michaels by the terra cotta pots) called "pot toppers" it's made to put in the top of pots that will be "planted" with silk plants or flowers. It comes in a circle shape with several sizes to choose from. Can be easily cut and shaped. It's grass on top and dirt on the bottom separated by a piece of quilt batting type layer. I cut the layers apart and just use the grass layer.

Pot toppers are also what Don Silva uses, he's a professional artist I got to know during my gig working at a dollhouse shop in California. I thought Id share a few photos of what the pot toppers look like on his house as opposed to my house, because his house is a lot more interesting to look at lol ;-)

• Like 3

Heres a few more just for fun...you can see how the dirt underlayer also shows a little around the edges when you cut the shape out.

On the second photo you can see he even used it on top of the bird house

• Like 2

I've used just about everything for grass. The loose bags of green moss from the dollar store, textured paint, model railroad grass and even a plastic grass mat used for outside, you know the one with the plastic daisy on the corner? Sounds crazy but it actually looked very realistic. My favorite though is the Noch Grass they sell at HBS. Its pricey but feels great and won't crumble.

Can the uv damage be revised?

You can repaint whatever the UV has bleached/ leached the color from. My pub's roof went from slate colored to tan; I just repainted it slate gray and the whole pub looks like new, UV-bleached splotchy grass notwithstanding. I might grate a bit of green chalk pastel and brush it over the yellowed spots, just to see what happens.

Really like the idea of the pot toppers for grass, so yesterday went to local Michaels to look for them. The workers said they have not carried them locally for about two years.

I did find a putting green at the thrift store (half price for about $4.00). It just happens to be the same width (16") as the board I plan to sit the Fairfield upon and I will have quite a bit left over as the length is 6'. It will make a very manicured lawn, but probably not the most realistic looking grass.

Haven't worked on the Fairfield for too many weeks -- so starting again as soon as I log off.

post-58020-0-06042700-1397771600_thumb.j

• Like 1