Interest In Weightloss Support Topic Here?

Minis Over The Hill

My son and I are going to stock up on a variety of fresh,frozen,and canned fruits this week and I am going to put them,peeled,straight in my blender and have my version of smoothies. :)

Kat, I love smoothies myself, but yours sound healthier than the ones with sugar that I buy when I am out. After your cold and stomach virus, it is great that you are getting yourself prepared to start the week off right.

Fantastic, Maureen! And despite the difference with doctor's scale -- five pounds is five pounds! If you hadn't lost weight, you would have weighed five more on his scale, right?

I find that willpower is a little like muscle. The more I use it, the stronger it is!

• Like 1

Way to go Maureen!!!! :bigwink: 5 pounds is awesome and taking it one day at a time is the way to go. Keep going your doing great. I wish you good luck with your exercise.

Yesterday was my chicken rise and vegie day. I even left some on the plate cause I was just not hungry anymore. A totally new concept for me. lol Today I am doing the filled pepper thing and I will make it with ground Turkey and salsa like Holly suggested to me to try. I am about to dance with Richard so I can get my housework done and than get back to my BH. :D

I wish all of you a phantastic day and keep going ladies we are on our way!!! :cheer:

Jackie and Anja, thanks for the kind words of support. Anja, I know how you feel, as I really haven't been hungry the last few days, and I am feeling full on less food. I thought I would have to make a conscious effort to stop eating, but I am filling my plate with less and not missing the rest.

I started climbing my basement stairs, as I make several trips up and down them each day anyway, but I stopped as soon as I got tired. I don't want to over-exert myself, and I don't want it to feel like work.

Pennsylvania Jackie, you are not just off to a start, you are off to a great start! Unless you are told by a doctor you need to lose a considerate amount of weight quickly, I feel the key to a successful diet is moderation.

So many people go overboard in the first few weeks of a diet and exercise plan that when they go off course (as most of us do), they find it too hard to get back on the program, as it was too grueling to begin with. I think one pound in one week is tremendous and will lead you to a healthier lifestyle than if you dropped 20 lbs. in one month, only to leave you vulnerable the next month.

• Like 1

Pennsylvania Jackie that is a great start and I think for all of us trying to live more healthy or on a diet it is a huge reward to see when the pound (s) go down. I believe thats the best feeling to have. :)

Maureen thats great your walking the stairs and you know when it is enough you stop. I think thats a wondervful feeling to leave something on the plate and its exciting to hear that you have the same going on without the big missing feeling. Your so right with the overboard thing cause I done that so many times but I am suprised at myself sticking to it missing less and less each day and I love my Richard every day since over 4 month. I dont think I ever could say that before.

I hope you all have a great rest of day. I am off in a few to watch my soccer so my neighbors get something to hear. lol :ohyeah:

Too many real life obstacles have been keeping me away from here lately. I'm gonna have to put real life into time out over that if it continues. :D

I wish that I could find the words that described how helpful it is to have this support group where we can talk about so many things in a safe place with no judgments. When you're noticeably overweight, people tend to treat you differently but not here. You guys are awesome!

I'm still making small steps and the best one is drinking more water. I've replaced at least one glass of soda and two of sweet tea with water over the past two weeks and my body is liking that a lot! I got the courage to get on the scales this morning for the first time in about six months and while I haven't lost as much weight as I thought I had during the move, it's still lower than it was and that's good. My body weight can fluctuate by five pounds a day because of medications and water retention so I don't think about the scale that much anyway but at least I know the ballpark of where I am now so I can monitor it better.

I was so tired last night that I was going to order pizza for dinner and then I thought about you guys and instead I made a fresh pasta salad with shredded carrots, chopped tomatoes, and some chicken from the freezer in a lite Parmesan sauce. It was super yummy and just right. Bruce even said that it was an excellent choice for dinner and he doesn't even know we're on a diet. <snicker> I won't tell him if you won't.

Deb

• Like 4

We unloaded all the Jazz Fest stuff off the truck this AM and hit a couple of thrift stores before lunch. We hit one of our favorite Chinese buffet places because they have things we can eat; steamed seafood, grilled greenbeans, steamed brocolli, really fresh sushi... So for supper I made salads with mixed baby greens, a pattypan squash pickle (they are SO cute, Deb!), fatfree crumbled feta cheese and tuna, with a little "lite" ranch dressing.

• Like 1

Sounds healthy and tasty, Holly! We eat dinner around 7:30 or 8 because of DH's schedule. I wonder what he's cooking tonight..? :bigwink:

Little victories, Deb! I'm also working on drinking more water, and although I did have pizza for dinner last night, I had two small pieces instead of four large ones. It was enough to feel full and to satisfy the taste I had for it, so I count it as a victory, all in all.

I went back to work this week (just half time to start), and today a friend at work told me she thinks I've lost some weight. I'm wearing pants that haven't fit since last fall, so I think she's right.

I don't like weighing myself, though, so I don't actually know. Plus, after 8 weeks in bed, I've definitely lost muscle, so I'm not sure the number on the scale would even be valid for the purpose of comparison. Maybe things have just re-distributed?

Since I found out I've shrunk by an inch and a half over the last 25 years, I haven't wanted to think about weight in terms of numbers... the height difference translates to weighing another 6-8 lbs less than I thought I should. Maybe it's time to work on my lithraphobia (fear of the scale!), though. My husband suggested using body measurements to track weight loss, but that's even more numbers -lol!

Anyone else here who doesn't weigh herself? Any thoughts on aiming for weight loss while trying to rebuild muscle?

• Like 1

...Anyone else here who doesn't weigh herself? Any thoughts on aiming for weight loss while trying to rebuild muscle?

I go by how loose my clothes feel, although I do weigh myself before going to the doctor's office (I think all doctors' scales weigh five pounds heavier than our home scales, by the way). Muscle weighs more than fat, so I personally wouldn't worry about weight until you have regained some muscle strength and stamina.

• Like 1

Today I came across my first challenge since I claimed not to be missing sweets. I had to go to the drug store, which happens to be right next door to Rita's Italian Ices. Now, I could have compromised and had their sugarless ice, which happened to be pineapple today; but instead I asked myself if I wanted the ice because I was in the mood for something cold and refreshing or because I was in the habit of getting something at Rita's every time I had to make a trip to the drug store.

I came to the conclusion that I really wanted something hot, like tea, and I would have it when I got home. However, when I passed Rita's on the way out, I really wanted their chocolate ice - and chocolate isn't even a flavor I normally get! Even so, I kept walking.

I think every time I pass up a Rita's ice, I will put $3.00 into a little bucket, and at the end of the summer, buy something for the dollhouse - or better yet, give it to a charity. That may serve as an added incentive.

• Like 2

Good morning Ladies.

How wonderful is this I get up make me a cup of coffee send my hubby tto work and get on my lappy to read all this wonderful succes srories from all of you. It just makes me smile and feel good inside.

Deb I swear I wont tell Bruce anything. :D But I really want to tell you that I think your doing great and I am so happy you lost weight you call it a little but you LOST WEIGHT!!!

I also think your healthy choice with you pastasalad was wonderful and it tasted great you even got been told by Bruce. :yes: Keep going girl you will reach your goal I am sure!

Jackie I think personally when a pair of pants fit they did not fit last year than why use the scale? When a lady at work says you look like you lost weight why use the scale?

Yeah for YOU. :clap: You lost weight and when your ready you will not see Mr. scale as a bad thing but a help along thing.Personally I think it is great to hear from outsiders that they see I am less and fitting into something what did not fit before is an amazing warm feeling of victory!

Holly I did make my filled peppers yesterday like you suggested and it was so tasty. I liked the turkey ground and loved the salsa!!! Thank you so much and I am glad to hear you had a great outing with your husband. :thumbup:

Maureen I think you did great you made it past Ritas even though it was a struggle but you made it! :yes: You did not give in and that is always hard but you decided on your health. Saving the 3 dollars is fantastic but working on your health is the greatest thing. :throb:

Like Deb said this group helps me so much and hearing about each and everybodys worries, fears, victories makes me feel like I am not alone I have people with the same issues or at least close issues. I can be myself and talk freely and wont be judged. This group is really great and I look forward seeing how everybody is doing. :thumb:

On a footnote: I guess I am the only one whos doctor has a scale which makes me weigh less. :yikes: But personally I am going by mine.

I wish you all a great start in the new day. Take great care of yourself(s) ;)

• Like 1

OMG I am excited. First I thought since in two days I been leaving food on my plate and not using my whole calories I will work with 1200 calories a day. But why should I? I feel good that I dont have to eat it all and when I do eat more the guilt be less. Since I cheated last week and went wendsday on the scale ( I am a weigh in junky) I went on it just a few minutes ago after my dancing date with Richard. I lost now 24 Kilogramm which is 52,9 lbs. Woohoo. I dont know if I ever lost over 50 pounds on my own. On my own meaning I had a gastro plastic in the year 2000 and it went well after 6 years I guess my stomache streched and streched and on and on. So I wernt back up. But like I said before I am adicted to food unhealthy food. I did not wanne go back and have surgery cause it just works for a little while and than I get back so I personally think since it is a head thing I have to do it on my own. Most and I mean quiet a few who had their tummy tucked went back or even over the original weight there is only a few who did not. The gastro plastic is for overweight people like crutches for people who cant walk good. But the mental thing is what has to be taken care off.

Sorry I did not mean to preach or something I am just telling you all my inner thoughts and I do feel so great right this very minute I cant even put it into words. (writing tearyeyed)

Thank you all for your support and suggestions I am very grateful for that.

• Like 1

I've been doing some exercising and feel a lot better. About 2 years ago I started going to the Y. I took several classes, Pilates, fit combo and Zumba. I loved them all. I am still a member but don't go nearly as much. My oldest son was doing weight lifting, and that was the original reason we joined. I need to get back to the gym and do at least one class a week. I've been making myself get on outer excercise bike every day about 30 minutes. The excercise bike is in the same area as my washer & dryer, so I load my washer, start it.... And jump on the bike until the wash load is finished. Then I switch the clothes and find something to do. I stopped drinking soda and only drank water for almost a year, I've been drinking more soda than I should but a 2 liter lasts me about 3 days so still good but really need to stop the soda intake completely. My work schedule, kids, house and mom really limit my time. I'm not necessarily looking to loose much weight just a few lbs. but I want to tone up. When I did Pilates I was a lot more limber and loved it. I have a DVD here at the house I could use but the classes motivated me and were fun. I met a lot of great people.

• Like 1

Kelly it seems like your life is active enough without the exercise classes, but it is good you want to tone up and feel better. If the classes motivate you, I hope you can find time to get back to at least one of them. If not, I think you have the mind frame to do what you need to when you are ready.

I was tempted by Rita's Italian Ices again today. This time my mouth was dry, so I gave in and got the sugar-free pineapple ice - but, I got the child-sized rather than a small adult-sized cup. I was told the child-sized cup contains anywhere from 85 to 130 calories, so I thought I could spare that. Plus the child-sized cup was $1.00 less than the small-sized cup, so I still get to put $1.00 into the kitty that is storing all the money I am saving each time I don't give into a Rita's splurge. I decided I will donate that money to St. Jude's Children's Hospital after Rita's closes in October.

I thought I made a good compromise today because the ice was sugarless but hit the spot, I did not feel deprived, I was able to set a limit, and I still had a dollar to spare.

• Like 3

Good morning ladies.

Kelly I am sure that you will go back to your classes cause you sound like you miss it and you said yourself you had so much fun . :)

Maureen yes you made a good compromise and I think thats great how you choose what you wanted but not overdoing it. :thumb:

Last night I had a terrible dream about my past and woke up sweating and crying and the first thing I did was get up and went to the refridgerator. I surged for all kinds of food. I went crazy I swear. I than found an ice cream (which is usually not on my I want list) and ate it. As soon as I was done I found myself getting dressed and was ready to go to a gasstation to get me chips. (2 am in the morning) I got the car keys got in the car started it and all of a sudden it hit me. ''What am I doing?'' So I got out of the car went back in the house. Made me a cup of teaand calmed down. I thought I am over this kind of crazyness but apperently it comes back. I feel horrible today and hope it will pass. So I guess I am not having the lunch and dinner I had planed so I get the 300 calories back I used in the middle of the night. I do not wanne give up my saturday with my husband for my day off.

I wish you all a great day

• Like 1

In the For What It's Worth department: somewhere I read that if you have an urge to eat something despite knowing it's not a good idea, you can calm the urge by brushing your teeth.

• Like 2

Thanks for that one Kathie, I'm going to try it. Oftentimes late at night I get an urge and always go for it. I'm going to try your idea next time.

Today I walked for an hour and a quarter with a friend, so nice outdoors here in Baltimore, perfect walking weather. Hope you guys have a good day with whatever steps you're taking toward a healthy lifestyle and it sounds like you guys are seriously trying. I really like it that everyone has their own program, no "one size fits all" here.

• Like 1

Anja, please don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes we need to put out a fire before we can prevent one. In other words, we have to take care of the present or immediate situation before we can learn from the experience and move on with our plans and goals.

You had a nightmare and were in need of some sort of comfort. That is understandable, so instead of beating yourself up over eating the ice cream, give yourself praise for not rushing out to buy the chips. It would have been easier to drive to an all night convenience store to get them than it was for you to get out of the car and go back inside.

The most important thing to take away from this however, is the fact that you know what things trigger your cravings, as emotional distress affects us all. Being prepared for these times will help you deal with the situation, such as calming yourself with tea rather than potato chips. Personally, I think you handled yourself just fine.

• Like 2

Good morning everybody.

Thank you so much Maureen for your kind words. I am working on the distress thing and yes I am glad now I did not run out to get the drugs. I did however have my day off yesterday I could not concentrate on my diet so that means my saturday is gone. Today I feel alot better and will get back on track. It is great to have people here you can tell your inner most feelings about an adiction that alot of people in this world do not understand.

I wish all of you a great start in the new day and I know mine be a whole lot better than yesterday :thumb:

Good morning ladies.

Kelly I am sure that you will go back to your classes cause you sound like you miss it and you said yourself you had so much fun . :)

Last night I had a terrible dream about my past and woke up sweating and crying and the first thing I did was get up and went to the refridgerator. I surged for all kinds of food. I went crazy I swear. I than found an ice cream (which is usually not on my I want list) and ate it. As soon as I was done I found myself getting dressed and was ready to go to a gasstation to get me chips. (2 am in the morning) I got the car keys got in the car started it and all of a sudden it hit me. ''What am I doing?'' So I got out of the car went back in the house. Made me a cup of teaand calmed down. I thought I am over this kind of crazyness but apperently it comes back. I feel horrible today and hope it will pass.

It WILL pass Anja. I'm proud of you for identifying what was happening and for stopping yourself before you went to the store. Having nightmares is normal, especially after all the things you've gone thru with weight loss in the past. This is a battle you've been fighting for a long time but the difference is that this time, you've got it under control. You're doing a great job of it too. You had some bad, bad dreams and woke up out of that feeling very emotional and disoriented and of course that triggered a strong desire to eat but you captured it before it got out of control. That situation could have escalated but even in adverse conditions like waking from a nightmare, you were able to rein it back in and show it who's the boss! That's definitely a victory!

• Like 2

Thank you very much Deb. Your so right it is when I get stressed and upset about something. I did controle it and I am glad I did. It just creeped me out that it went so far again. But I am back on track and feel good. My Husband brought me some flowers last night and told me how proud he is of me. I am glad I have the suport here and from friends family and most of all my husband. He been dealing with me and my flaws for over 16 years and goes through my ups and downs and he said he never seen me that up so I am determend to stick with it and just call it what it was an excident.

Thank you for your kind words and for not judging me even though we dont really know one another. :)

I wish you all a wonderful day.

• Like 1

Today I managed to get a walk in, althought that wasn't so hard to do considering it is a gorgeous spring day. Most of my neighbors' daffodils are out, which made it a pleasant walk. I also noticed one lawn with all types of small balls on their lawn. They were mostly wiffle balls of various colors, but also at least one softball, what looked like a tennis ball, and various others. My guess is that some kids were playing and didn't put things back, or maybe the owners did that purposely for some reason. Maybe instead of Easter eggs, they put Easter balls on their lawn. Then I saw a tree on another lawn that had a face. Someone put eyes, a nose, and a mouth on it.

So it was an interesting, enjoyable walk, but I am tired now. I think it was the nasal spray I used before heading out.

• Like 1