Interest In Weightloss Support Topic Here?

Minis Over The Hill

Oh wow Maureen I am so sorry it is flooding near you. I hope nobody gets their house damaged or worse. I know you did a long walk which is great but the reason for it is not so nice. Thank you for saying I will be going far and all your support!!!

On my end is nothing new except we had a busy day today which was nice. Today I got to get my real house done. lol It is 3:30 am and I am wide awake after sleeping about 2 hours. No nothing is bugging me I am not hungry just wide awake. lol I do believe I am gonna start my housework now and than I might go back to bed and do my exercise later in the day. I have actually nothing new to report.

I wish everybody a wonderful and also save day. Take good care of yourselfs

Good morning everybody. Well I had a great early start in the day and got my housework done as well as my exercise, a nap and working on my BH so all in all a full day. My husband is not so into the diet thing as I am. Bless his heart he was hungry last night coming home and what I made he was not impressed with so I am kind of thinking he will not stick to it. I decided I ask what he would like to eat and all he talked about is of course high on calories and fat. So I am trying to figure out to make healthy food kind of taste like the stuff he likes which is hard but I am determend to give it all. lol

Today we are invited to a party which will make it easy cause we both be off but I wont overdue it. I also have a shopping trip planed today but Dirk (DH) announced he wants to go too. I think I am being controlled. lol

I hope you all have a great start in the day. Keep going ladies.

Anja, you have to start very slowly for husbands (unless they come up with the idea on their own). When our old doctor put my DH on the same diet as me I had already been substituting turkey ham, bacon and sausage for pork and using the egg white egg substitutes and the fatfree milk, etc; so when he wined and whinged I told him about it and he was MUCH better about changing over. Of course now that we have been on it neither of us can tolerate the "fat food" places with their high fat content food; but that's no hardship, since we were never fans of those places before.

• Like 1

I know Holly and it was not my idea it was his own cause like I said before I am not one to push. Yesterday of course was easy because like I said we were invited to a party. I was suprised at DH cause he did not go wild on the buffet but I also did not speak about it eighter. I just did say to him that it is his decision and also that this diet thing or eating different thing is a big change in our lives and that it wont be just for awhile but it has to become our lifestyle. We will see if he sticks to it and I really hope he does it makes it easier for me too.

Yesterday was my off day and it was a pretty busy but also alot of fun,. I just did my Richard but running around shopping I think I burnecd some calories too. Last night I danced awhile and it was fun.

We will see how today goes cause my knee is giving me a hard time today. I know it was my own fault but it was fun. I took some pain medication and hope it will help so I can at least do my exercise.

I hope you all have a great weekend and keep thinking healthy.

I am not looking forward to getting on the scale tomorrow, as this past week was not a very productive one. I couldn't walk for several days because it was raining to the point where many streets were flooded. Then yesterday, I was at a friend's house, and while we are consciously making an effort to eat healthier, I think I overdid it on trail mix. But if I gained, so be it. It won't be a sign of failure; just a sign of life. One or two off weeks won't undo a healthier lifestyle.

Oh Maureen dont worry about not walking I mean you guys have floods as I understand it so it is more important to stay save and the weather will get better again and than you can be out there. Overduing it does happen so do not beat yourself up for it. Your doing great.

Yesterdaxy was much better for my husband as well as for me I just think he has to get used to it and it will be fine. He wants to start weighing in on mondays so today is his big day. I am getting back on my bike today no matter what cause I need to have another exercise since my weight loss is at a stand still. I just got the news from the rehab department about my schooling supose to start in may will not be happening cause they still have to prove my health. I mean what in the world did they do since january? I am upset about that cause time is running and the next possible class will start in october. I guess the letter got here on saturday but was brought by accident to my neighbor and she brought me the letter yesterday. It is kind of a sat back for me but life goes on.

I wish everybody a great day and keep going.

Anja today (Monday) is my weigh-in day too. The three pounds I lost last week are now a three-pound gain this week, but I expected weeks like this, so I am not disappointed. I think it is important to weigh-in every week, as that helps keep us on track; however, I think a more accurate weight loss account would be on a monthly basis, and that way I am still ahead.

I am sorry about the delay in your schooling, Anja, and trust me, I know what that type of aggravation is all about. You have to keep on top of whoever is responsible for forwarding and approving the paperwork and hope for the best. It will work out.

It's always something, isn't it, that's how you know you're alive, lol. I was doing two miles walking several times a week, then my heel began really hurting, so I went for an x-ray last week, waiting to hear results. Here are two wonderful soup recipes I'm sharing, hope you like them:

Great Soup Recipes.doc

Joane, both DH & I sugger with bone spurs on our heels. We also wear rigid footbeds in all our closed shoes now, to take the pressure off those places when we put weight on them walking/ hiking. I find that well-made hiking shoes and Birkies relieve a lot of that pressure and pain.

• Like 1

That's good to hear, I know you guys do a lot of hiking. I don't know what a "footbed" is. I'll google it. My daughter said why not bicycle, no pressure on the heel, so that's what I did yesterday. A lady at the gym said she had pain like that and it was a Plantar something, a bone infection, not a Planter's wart. She had to wear a special boot most of the time for a year, so I'm anxious to find out what it is.

Plantar fascitis is an inflammation of the covering where the muscle attaches to the tendon that attaches to the bottom of the heel. Ouch! I hope it's not that. Here are the footbeds I was talking about: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=birkenstock+blue+footbed&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=1315543831&ref=pd_sl_5g61lftsf5_pe We've been wearing ours for over 15 years; they've gotten wet several times.

Thanks Holly, which one exactly?

The ones we use are the light blue with heel support with the round-looking logos on them. They cost us US$40 or $45 when we bought them,

I wear solid shoe inserts (aka orthotics) that were made from plaster casts for my feet. When I buy shoes, I have to make sure the bed linings that come with them are removable. It makes all the difference by the end of the day. I just bought a pair of New Balance walking shoes for summer in bright red. I've always wanted red shoes. :D They have a wonderfully thick sole that cushions every step. I'm already loving them. They'll be great for our trip.

Orthotics are for any foot condition that stresses either the longitudinal or transverse arches of the feet. My stepdad was an orthopedic technician and made custom orthotics, filling podiatrist's prescriptions. Footbeds are not customized.

I have also dealt with heel spurs. Back a thousand years ago when I was first troubled with them, they used to give steroid shots into the heel to reduce inflammation. It worked great for me but I don't think they do that anymore.

I was recommended to use running shoes not walking or cross training shoes. And even more specifically Asics running shoes. They are pricey. Apparently the heel cup in a running shoe is the most supportive on the common market without getting custom molds done.

I swear by them. If I wear anything else, I can feel it start to rile up very quickly.

Some MD's tightly wrap the heels with tape to assist the reduction in inflammation and also use very tight plastic heel cups that go on under your socks to help.

Bug your MD til you get relief. You don't want it to progress to a surgical situation. It's a brutal surgery and not guaranteed to truly fix it.

I had plantar fascitis several years ago, and the doctor injected cortisone in my heel; so Selkie, some doctors still do that. I would prefer that to taking pills, because it also worked great for me. It sounds brutal, but it's not.

Heel spurs won't go away on their own, but usually they aren't bothersome unless they cause inflamation. The plantar fascitis, however, will go away. In other words, a heel spur doesn't have to hurt.

I just walked out to my mailbox and received a package of four miniature desserts I won on eBay. That was good news. The bad news is that they made me hungry for a piece of chocolate, even though only one of the desserts was a chocolate item. So I had to eat a chocolate chip cookie, and now I am going for a thin mint cookie, because don't you know it, the chocolate chip cookie didn't have that many chocolate pieces in them, so it didn't do the trick.

Today is one of those non-satisfying days. I thought I would treat myself to a 60 calorie popsickle that was like a cream sickle, only the vanilla ice cream was coated with raspberry ice instead of orange. I didn't find it that rewarding, which could actually be a good thing, except it left me wanting one of the better cream sickles I remember from my youth. My favorite are the ones covered with a light orange sherbet that blends into the vanilla ice cream, but I am guessing those are not 60 calories.

I guess some days are like that. I was good yesterday and intend to be good tomorrow, so I'll just let it be for today and hope it balances out.

• Like 1

The Dr. called this morning, I have a heel spur. He recommended Dr. Scholl's. I might as well try them for the price, then move on to the footbeds if it isn't doing anything. I'll be on the lookout for New Balance also. Thanks guys, appreciate the tips!

I started out with the foam and then the gel insoles. They didn't do the job. the rigid footbeds give much-needed support that takes the pressure off of the spurs.

I have also dealt with heel spurs...they used to give steroid shots into the heel to reduce inflammation. It worked great for me but I don't think they do that anymore...

They still give steroid shots for the heel spurs, and they don't always last, either. That's why DH went with the Birkie foorbeds, and when they made such a difference he got me a pair, too.

I just walked out to my mailbox and received a package of four miniature desserts I won on eBay. That was good news. The bad news is that they made me hungry for a piece of chocolate, even though only one of the desserts was a chocolate item. So I had to eat a chocolate chip cookie, and now I am going for a thin mint cookie, because don't you know it, the chocolate chip cookie didn't have that many chocolate pieces in them, so it didn't do the trick...

Maureen, when I get a chocolate craving I keep a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips in the House (for cookies when the kids come to visit and for mug cake when DH & I have a crazy craving)

Maureen, when I get a chocolate craving I keep a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips in the House (for cookies when the kids come to visit and for mug cake when DH & I have a crazy craving)

Holy cow, if I had a whole bag of chocolate chips in the house, that wasn't currently being mixed into the cookie batter, I'd be a goner. I'd plow through the whole bag lickety-split.

I really love dark chocolate. My naughty daughter got me a huge bar of 85% for Christmas. I tried really hard to make it last more than a couple days. Boy was that tough.

I find that a half dozen choccie chips will do it for me (although I want more in a cookie; I totally get what Maureen was saying), otherwise I have to fight the indyjiggers.

I love the semi-sweet chocolate too, and it would be really hard to keep the entire bag intact once I opened it. In fact, it might be dangerous for me to keep a bag on hand - Selkie, did you really make that bar last more than a day?!

Well, as I said, today was really an off day for me. Fortunately, nothing is wrong; I think I was just feeling under the weather because I was cold when I woke up and had to raise the heat, even though it is May 7, and we are now in the middle of spring. I also didn't feel like doing much except for curling up with a good book, and I ate more than I did in the last two days, even though my diet is sufficient.

The high point of my day was when I went to my friend Barbara's house to fax something, as I do not have a fax at home. Barbara has a wheelchair accessible van that needs repairs. Her brother Ronnie dropped it off at the dealership for her yesterday, and I gave Ronnie a lift home. Today when I was at Barbara's house, Ronnie took a Rita's gelati out of the freezer and gave it to me as my reward for helping them out yesterday.

Ronnie told me I might want to let it thaw a bit because the custard hardened in the freezer, but I am surprised I waited until I got home before digging into it. I have no idea how many calories are in a gelati, and I don't care because that seemed to be just the thing I was lacking all day. - I feel better now.