Interest In Weightloss Support Topic Here?

Minis Over The Hill

My sons have both worked for Coca-Cola since they graduated from high school(One son part time now),so you know what my favorite beverage is! :D But,like the others,I have cut down. Plain water is hard for me,but adding lemon juice helps a lot! I'm so glad we have this topic to turn to-it really has also helped me to stop and think before I eat or drink something.

For supper I had an open face tuna melt-2 pieces of bread,canned tuna (packed in water),mixed with 'salad dressing' instead of mayonnaise and not a bunch of it,dill relish instead of sweet,chopped onions,lemon juice,rosemary and dill seasonings,some small pieces of cheddar cheese on top-heated in microwave until cheese melted. I drank a cup of chicken bouillon with it-one cube dissolved in 1 and a half cups of boiling water instead of 1 cup and I put half of that in the frig for 'later'....I had a canned mango smoothie,with a small dollop of off-brand 'Cool Whip' blended in. I actually still feel full and that was hours ago! :)

I weighed myself yesterday,and found out I weigh 5 pounds less than I thought I did! It's the same scale I've used for several years,at my boss' house. I don't think I lost any weight recently,I just had it wrong,because I haven't wanted to weigh myself for so long-not all winter for sure! It's funny,but just knowing I have that 5 pounds less to lose up front gives me a big mental boost! :)

Edited by kat57
  • Like 1

Good morning ladies.

Sorry to hear that about your daughter Peggi as well as what Deb made through. It is just horrible what paople can do to your psyche so you get seriously ill. I know believe me I really know it is a struggle every day. But I am glad that everybody is doing better but I am sure never quiet over it as I never be over my eating disorder just working on doing things different and when I stress I dont fall into old habbits.

Also thank you for the Potatoe chip recipe I will try it one day but I think for right now I better stay totally away from it cause thats my favorit drug. :closedeyes:

Way to go Kat!!! :kicking: I know you must be feeling great and it is always a very nice suprise to see how much less Mr Scale announces and I am very happy for you. It sounds like you had a great meal and best part your were full. I know how hard it is to stay away from that something eighter drink or food what you loved for years but I am so happy that you can cut down which I think is great cause old habbits are very hard to break. Keep going!! ;)

As for me I had my Pasta day yesterday nothing exciting just that I had my pasta with tomatosauce and some boulion for lunch. Today I have my off day I do it saturday so I can eat one meal with my husband together.

So I hope everybody has a phantastic day. :thumb:

• Like 1

Good morning, Anja. If you can get sweet potatoes, make your chips from those; they are full of lovely antioxidants. The nice thing about making your own chips is that you don't have to make chips from the entire potato; you can make scalloped potatoe out of most of them and just make a few slices into chips. It's the salt as well as the fat that make chips so unhealthy; when I had to cut back using salt (I'm a NAS eater; no added salt) I discovered that potatos naturally containg small amounts of salt. If you can get Mrs Dash salt substitutes, use that for part of the salt sprinkled on your chips.

• Like 1

Thank you very much Holly thats really nice of you. I think I did not explain my problem with the chips thing very well. I did have recipes for none fat chips or low fat chips and I did make them before. But I guess it is like an alkoholic when you offer a piece of chocolate where there is alkohol in it or a sauce you make he be back to be an alkoholic. My problem with the chips is simmular cause I will eat the low fat or none fat chips but than my stupid brain wants the real thing. It makes me crazy I can not concentrate on anything else but the chips and I have the feeling I am not happy till I had the real thing and than so much of it that I am thrown back. I know this sounds crazy but I can eat baked potatoes cooked ones any which way but as soon as they look or taste close to the drug (as I prefer to call it) I loose control. Even on my days off I never ever get me snacks like that. I really do appreciate you and Peggi letting me have the recipe and it is so nice that you thought of me and trying to help. Just this past week has shown having even the bag in the house makes me go nuts. So I avoid it.

I hope I did not offend anybody I just try to explain my inner feelings if it makes any sense at all. ;)

I do understand that. Like my mother, you're addicted to the fat & slt (this is why so many unhealthy snack foods contain suxh huge amounts of fat & salt). DH & I found one of the side benefits of such a low-fat, low salt diet as we've been on is that our bodies are de-toxed and now if we eat those things they make us painfully ill.

• Like 1

Yes I am addicted to that kind of food. I hope that one of these days it wont matter no more but for now I keep away from it. I think it is so great that you and your husband live so healthy but I dont like to hear that you get seriously ill from eating I think that would be for me the best thing than I quit doing it. But I dont like when people get sick. Thank you for understanding cause some people just dont get what I am saying. ;)

Painful indigestion could be a sign of serious illness; for us it's just a reminder not to eat food with a high saturated fat content (which is BAD for those of us fighting cholesterol, or who don't want plaque in our arteries...). There are, as I keep pointing out for those who need a strict diet regimen, ways to make the healthy food taste good & remain healthy.

• Like 1

Thank you very much Holly thats really nice of you. I think I did not explain my problem with the chips thing very well. I did have recipes for none fat chips or low fat chips and I did make them before. But I guess it is like an alkoholic when you offer a piece of chocolate where there is alkohol in it or a sauce you make he be back to be an alkoholic. My problem with the chips is simmular cause I will eat the low fat or none fat chips but than my stupid brain wants the real thing. It makes me crazy I can not concentrate on anything else but the chips and I have the feeling I am not happy till I had the real thing and than so much of it that I am thrown back. I know this sounds crazy but I can eat baked potatoes cooked ones any which way but as soon as they look or taste close to the drug (as I prefer to call it) I loose control. Even on my days off I never ever get me snacks like that. I really do appreciate you and Peggi letting me have the recipe and it is so nice that you thought of me and trying to help. Just this past week has shown having even the bag in the house makes me go nuts. So I avoid it.

I hope I did not offend anybody I just try to explain my inner feelings if it makes any sense at all. ;)

Anja honey, that makes perfect sense to me. I appreciate that you've learned to call chips a drug addiction because that's really what it is. I have the same type of addiction to "one at a time" food of the salty and fatty type.......chips, crackers, popcorn, M&Ms, salted nuts........and once I start eating them, I don't have a perspective about when it's time to stop or even when I feel full. If those foods are in the kitchen and I start feeling like eating something, they literally haunt me until they're gone. I eat them when I'm reading and unless I put the snacks into a bowl, I'll finish off an entire can of Pringles or bag of Combos without even being aware of it. (which is why I made a law for myself to always use a bowl and never eat out of the bag)

The worst part of binge eating is what happens afterwards. I'm so ashamed that I can't even look in a mirror and that feeling never really goes away. Since I was anorexic that means that I'll stop eating entirely to avoid that feeling. People with bulimia have it worse because they're so wracked with guilt and shame that they force their body to get rid of what they've eaten. It's not easy to admit to having an eating disorder and it's a blessing to be able to talk to others who have been there and understand. Anja, you have a lot of courage to talk about your relationship with food this way and help support others who have the same type of problems. I've come a long way toward eating healthier (rich foods and sauces aren't something of interest to me anymore) but the food/body relationship problems will be with me forever. One of my greatest goals is to look in the mirror and be comfortable with the person looking back at me.

One of the things I've worked hard at doing is identifying what triggers my need to eat that way; sometimes comfort, sometimes a bad bout of low self esteem, sometimes just plain boredom or habit. Most of the time I don't think about it until after I've eaten but even then I try to stop calling myself bad names and instead consider what it was that made me choose that food at that particular time because if I identify what caused it, maybe I can stop it from happening the next time. It's a long, slow process with what feels like a lot of set backs but practice and continued efforts will eventually pay off. You're not alone Anja and you're a very strong woman with a lot of courage.

Deb

• Like 1

Deb, sometimes identifying the triggers isn't enough; it's so easy to go into denial (I have spent my share of time there, too). What works for me, and may not for someone else, is to decide what I liked about the person I was in denial, and what I liked about the person I wanted (and, for health's sake, needed) to become. Then I worked on the elements common to both lists to eliminate the things I dislikes about the person in denial (giving up unhealthy snack foods by finding tasty, healthy foods I liked, and substituting them, like fatfree Greek yogurt in place of sour cream). I really like arepas as much as potato chips, and I can control how many I make, and they aren't unhealthy; I cook them with cooking spray and add things like caramelized onions (also using cooking spray) or chives, 2% or fat free cheese, etc for flavors. That's just an example.

• Like 1

Kat, you've done great, even with not feeling well you managed to lose weight. Deb, I so appreciate your honesty and relate so much to what you're saying. It helps to know you're dealing with some of the same issues. Any little thing that tastes really good becomes a trigger food for me. My daughter gave me a bag of wonderful homemade granola made with with coconut oil, unsweetened coconut chips and seeds, nuts and dried cranberries. She gave me the recipe, I made it myself and proceeded to eat the whole thing. I find that there are so many trigger foods, it's really hard. But I had a good week with exercise and managed to do 6.5 miles in total. If we can capitalize on the good choices we make, it may help. I do feel stronger now since I upped the exercise, and hopeful about the ability to do more. Thanks Deb for your talking about these hard issues.

• Like 2

Happy sunday morning ladies.

I think it is great Holly that you figured out what you like about yourself and what not and you changed it to what does your body good.Way to go and I do love your recipes and ideas what I can change about my food. So thank you and maybe one day I have reached the point where I dont want the fat and salty food too. But personally for me the way I am doing now is a good start and I am working on being better to my body and myself.

Deb wow you described so many things in what you wrote it made me cry and there was so much of me in there. Bulimia was a part of me for years people dont understand that eighter it was part punishment and part feeling better but it does not automaticly make you thin in my case it did not do that but it made me feel better about what I done. After about 8 years of doing so I broke that habbit cause the bad teeth and the danger to your body at one point was so much that I could get awayfrom doing the benching and thowing it back up.

Than I got to the point for pulling my hair out cause of the hate I was feeling toward myself. Which wasnt so great eighter but I needed to feel the pain. I know at this point I am doing the best I ever did and I am happy with myself and I think the most important part is when you like or better yet love yourself and your proud of what you done and not all the negativ stuff that used to go to my head.

So thank you Deb the things you wrote were like you can look into my soul.But the most I want to thank you for is for the understanding cause alot of people just dont.

Joane thats wonderful that you had a good week and that you up your exercise. Way to go.

As for me well like I said I had my day off but I still did my Richard exercise. I really do it daily cause I am now at the point that this is a part of me. I found myself going shopping with my husband in the morning and I felt uncomfortable cause I did not do my exercise yet so the minute we got home I anounced that I first have to do my richard before my day goes on. Sounds crazy but that seems to be a part of me now. So today I am going back to the healthy food with no regrets and not feeling bad about myself.

I wish each and every one of you a wonderful sunday and I am thankful for all your support. :)

• Like 3

Hurrah!! I am walking again -- well, just starting... I got the okay from my foot surgeon on Friday, and since then have either been up and about or resting after exhausting myself! I am completely weight bearing on my surgery foot, but can't keep it down too long because it swells quickly and is very painful. Still - I'm starting to be active again. What a blessing to be able to drive again (naturally, my first trip was to the craft store - lol!)

Anyway, I'm catching up with posts here and have two thoughts to share. One is the acronym HALT. When I feel like eating something outside a meal time, I try to remember to ask myself if I am Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. For me, emotions sometimes drive my desire to eat -- it's not always about my body needing food. Acknowledging the reason I want to eat usually helps me figure out something better to do.... (This is not original, by the way; I learned about HALT when I was training to be a therapist. I believe it originated in the AA community.)

The other idea I want to share is using snack size baggies to help with portion control of homemade healthy food like granola. I know this isn't a particularly ecologically or economically sound approach to portion control, but it makes a HUGE difference for me. If I make a snack mix, I immediately package it in snack size baggies, and this really helps me limit how much I eat -- I don't eat more than more serving if I've packaged it. like that.

• Like 3

Thanks Jackie, all good ideas and helpful. Glad to hear you got the o.k. to begin walking, especially in this lovely spring weather. Must be beautiful in Virginia Beach now. The leaves are just coming out a little here in Balto, but down your way they must be out. Va Beach is a great area, I used to have a sister-in-law there. What a fun and pretty city! Thinking about your individual baggie idea, maybe...

• Like 1

Excuse the off-topic, but... Joane, I had missed that you're a Marylander! We've been in Virginia Beach for 22 years now, but moved here from MD. I'm originally from Gaithersburg, and DH is from Baltimore. Love Baltimore! Actually, our spring is late and the leaves are just coming out here too.

I think part of why the baggies work is that I feel guilty just thinking about how wasteful of baggies it would be if I ate the contents of more than one at a time!

• Like 1

My daily diet, I'm 58 years old and I weigh 120 lbs:

Never eat more food than the size of my fist which should also be the size of your stomach.. Chew my food at least 40 chews. Take 20 minutes to eat the meal so it digests and I feel full.

Breakfast-1 packet of Carnation Essentials with a glass of 2% milk. Everyday for 40 years. Plus a cup of coffee with milk and sugar.

Lunch-a sandwich with a good lean meat, turkey, chicken, egg or tuna. Fruit. Glass of water

Snack-hand full of plain almonds or walnuts.

Dinner-4oz of fresh meat or salmon, fresh vegetable, salad, rarely a starch. Glass of water. Use olive oil for cooking. Cup of coffee with milk and sugar. No added salt.

Never eat desserts unless birthday cake and rarely drink soft drinks. Don't drink beer or alcohol, sometimes a glass of wine.

I only think about food when someone asks in a disdaining tone-"How do you stay so thin?" Which believe it or not can be very rude. I would never walk up to them and ask the opposite.

• Like 1

Jackie I am glad to hear your up and your so well you can drive again and move around. What better way to celebrate than in a hobbystore. :thumb:

Thats a great idea why do I want food before I go get it. I think most of the time it is to comfort whatever is lacking. :yes:

I am very glad to hear your doing better Jackie. ;)

Sable thank you for the tipps and I do believe it is rude no matter what is especially meantioned. Even when somebody says you look great today which means on other days I look horrible? :D Just saying. ;)

• Like 2

I take medication for high bloodpressure so I did ask my doctor and since it does not go up it is more than ok since he is very pleased with my weightlost as well my cholestorin is down. But I always says this is what I do. Not thats what the others should do. It works for me and it works well. But thank you for your concern. ;)

I'm not posting much good news today because I had a stomach bug yesterday. Yuck! Today I had my 'off day',one meal-a huge supper-yikes! Tomorrow I'll get back to doing better. I drink the boullion because it's light,no fat,but filling for me when I don't feel like eating a whole meal,like when I had my cold and while I've had this stomach bug. I also have found out it's just as good adding more water to it than directed,which dilutes the sodium more-one and a half cups instead of one. Having been ultra thin my whole life up until my first pregnancy at 31(I was 111 lbs. at 5'5" back then),I totally understand how it feels if someone makes remarks about you weighing too little. But I also think we have to be supportive of each other for what works for us as individuals. I have always had badly misaligned teeth and am now missing quite a few jaw teeth,so I cannot properly eat most raw vegetables and fruits,for example,and could not sit and count how many times I chew it-that just would not work for me. I do enjoy frozen and fresh vegetables cooked to just almost tender,not mushy. My son and I are going to stock up on a variety of fresh,frozen,and canned fruits this week and I am going to put them,peeled,straight in my blender and have my version of smoothies. :)

• Like 1

Oh no Kat you are really getting beat on. First the bad cold and than the stomach bug. :( I hope this bad luck with your health will pass. It sounds like you have your week planed with fruits and vegies. I know it is difficult to eat stuff when part or alot of back teeth are missing but I am glad you found a way to eat your vegies and fruits.

I am hoping that you stay well now cause I personally think you had enough for a long time now. ;)

I wish you a great start (after sleeping) in the new day mine starts now.

Actually I wish everybody a great day! :)

• Like 1

I weighed myself today and lost 5 lbs. I can’t remember the last time I could say that, and all I did was slightly reduce my portion size (with a stress on “slightly”) and refrain from eating sweets. Instead, I ate fruits and vegetables and one piece of whole grain bread when I was hungry.

Now my doctor’s scale is 5 lbs. more than my home scale, so I guess I am right back where I started from. Well not really, because I still lost 5 lbs., so now I know I am moving in the right direction. I won’t lose that much every week, and in fact, I might gain at least one or two pounds back from time to time, but for now I need to thank you all for your motivation.

Ideally, I would like to drop about 8 to 10 more lbs. and then maintain that weight, but I will take one week at a time. My goal this week would be to incorporate a little more exercise, like climbing up and down my basement stairs to shape up for spring walks. I am hoping my stamina continues, as prior to last week, I thought I had no more willpower.

• Like 2