Interest In Weightloss Support Topic Here?

Minis Over The Hill

Joane, if you start to limp after your foot has been at rest, then you probably have a heel spur. I have one on my right foot, and the good news is that there are effective ways to treat it. Normally the spur won't bother you unless it causes inflammation, as is the case with plantar fasciitis. The spur won't go away, but the inflammation will. Please seek treatment if it continues to bother you.

After an hour's cat nap, I confirmed on the Internet that my nasal spray can make you drowsy, so it is not my imagination. Too bad because it really helps, but I can't stand that groggy feeling. So I ate a Ferrero Rocher chocolate that a friend gave me, because what else was I supposed to do? :D

There were 12 choccolates in the box, but I hadn't eaten any prior to today, and there were only two left. After eating one, I can proudly say there is still one left over.

I am compensating for my diet by buying miniature food on the Internet, but I refrained from buying a miniature box of Whitman's Chocolates. My little family is all set for Easter, and so am I.

• Like 1

Good morning ladies,

Yesterday I went through a box of old clothing which I have a couple of them with all kids of sizes clothing for me. I have now 3 new ( old pants) a size smaller and put the ones they are to big back in thje box. ( Just incase) I know that is not so positiv but why give it away now first I want to make sure it stays the way it is now and that I loose more before I give the clothes up. It made me feel real great and also there were a few shirts I really liked alot they fit again too. I even have a bathingsuit I did put it on it fits but I am not brave enough to go swimming just yet. ;)

Maureen I am glad to hear you had a good and interesting walk. I love riding the bike right now seeing all the front yards being made pretty for easter and all the flowers it is just beautyful in spring.

I hope your foot feels better soon Joane and Maureen might be right that you should see a doctor cause there is a reason the pain gets worse and it might not go away on its own.

I wish everybody a great and healthy weekend. :)

• Like 1

Rackey, thank you for that good advice, now I feel like I'm not headed to surgery again. You're really funny about the candy and I think that was the proper response to your friend's gift, lol! But at least you had the control not to eat the whole thing. I can't yet say I can do that.

Anja, you're such a dear! I'm very glad to hear you are wearing a smaller size, it's a great feeling and I'll bet you look great. I do most of my shopping at secondhand shops cuz why not save 80%?

• Like 2

I'm back after a couple days of taking care of sprinkler repair issues and working in the yard. I pay the price for doing that, but oh, it feels so good to just close my eyes and pretend that I can still stretch out my muscles to rake or dig. I do it gently because I don't want to hurt anything, but sometimes you just have to let your body know that it's alive.

While drinking more water doesn't seem like much of a goal, I've tried before and failed so this is a definite success for me. The thing that makes it significant is that it's replacing sweet drinks and while that's a very slow process, it will eventually help with the weight loss.......and it definitely helps with the task of eating healthier as my taste buds start requesting more fresh things. I've eliminated all but my two morning mt dews and cut out the sweet tea and replaced them with big glasses of ice water plus a few extra glasses here and there during the day. I'm also using the old trick of drinking water to curb my appetite when I want a snack close to dinner time. So progress is being made and as the summer heat progresses, it will help my overall health even more. I'm trying to avoid passing out in the back yard. LOL!!

Anja, your size change is a true celebration!!!! <twirling around and happy dancing for you> Yay!!!!!

• Like 1

Hello ladies,

I wanne thank you for being happy with me about the size change. <love doing the happy dance with Deb>. :pepper:

Sounds great that you switched your drinks and get more water in your body, Deb. Please do not pass out in the back yard. I been busy working on my BH yesterday I forgot to eat till 10 pm and than I just had brooth cause I was actually not hungry. Today I ate salad and tonight I had some (time difference) chicken, leek and 200 gr poatatoes. It hit the spot. My drinking was pretty poor today well actually my coffee consume was high but thats not really what I need to drink but I swore myself tomorow I will do better. :)

I hope you all are enjoying your weekend or better said I hope you all have a great sunday. Keep going girls!!! :cheer:

I'm having to put off swimming for a month. I had a lot of extra expenses and I just couldn't afford to buy a bathing suit right now. However, next month it will be the first thing on my list - right after a bigger fan (it's already way too hot in my room andthe outside temp is only supposed to get to 65° today!)

• Like 1

Wow, I can't believe I am coming to the end of week 2 of this weight loss support and still going strong.

My sister-in-law gave me M&Ms for Easter. She also gave me a dispenser to put them in because someone was selling them, and she couldn't resist buying one. I tried it out and ate the few candies that came out. I think the dispenser may be a good idea because it makes you think about what you are doing before pressing down on it.

• Like 1

OK, here goes the school nurse lesson about drinking water (my fourth graders actually thought it was interesting): Your body processes 2-3 liters of water per day (more in warm weather or with physical activity, whether you sweat it out or pee it out). Coffee, tea and sodas do not replace that water; caffeine in coffee, tea and sodas help retain the water because it's a vasoconstrictor (makes your blood vessels get smaller in diameter). Sodas are primarily sugar, salt and food coloring with a dash of artificial flavor (read the nutritional label; the sodium content is salt); sugar and salt help your body retain water and your body stores excess sugar as fat. In addition to replacing the water your body loses, drinking plain water flushes out the nasty stuff (that's why you initially run to the loo a lot), including fat. And as Deb has mentioned, drinking water instead of snacking near mealtime will actually quell the hunger tantrums until your meal.

• Like 1

I decided to have a small piece of lemon pound cake this evening because it just sounded so good. Well, it wasn't! It was store bought and dry, and the lemon flavoring was horribly artificial. A few weeks ago, I would have been polite and eaten it all on autopilot, regardless of the taste. I didn't say anything negative, but I stopped eating it. :)

That kind of unconscious eating is what has historically put the pounds on me. Of course we need to eat when we're hungry, and I think it's OK to have an occasional treat, but just eating because something's on a plate in front of me... that's what I call unconscious eating, and I'm really working on not doing that any more.

• Like 1

Holly, that's exactly why it's so important that I make the change from other drinks to water. My kidney function isn't the best but the levels of toxics in my system is pretty good. LOL! I take a 'script diuretic which doesn't work if the pitting edema in my legs is any indication and I think drinking more water is helping with all of that. The hotter it gets, the more water I need so this is a good time to learn the habit of replacing other drinks with water. It helps that we have a reverse osmosis drinking water system because the water tastes good to me. Bottled water tastes tinny and dries out my mouth but the RO water quenches my thirst. In fact, the RO water is the only sugarless drink that does quench my thirst. I'm not sure why that is.

I had a nice chef salad for lunch today and don't feel much like eating anything more tonight but if I do, there are cherub tomatoes in the fridge. Now that it's getting hot I'm getting a craving for cantaloupe and honeydew and will eat a lot of those this summer.

• Like 2

When you get your muscles built up walking to work up a sweat (like gentle hiking; where you are should be gorgeous, as well) (or playing in your garden in the warmer weather) will, along with the water, flush out those toxins. I went through a spell of pitting edema as I was in one form of heart block or another for several years. Since getting the pacer I no longer have the pitting edema.

• Like 2

Holly and Deb, I have been drinking water with dinner for years. I think I would have been about 5 pounds heavier today had I not cut out the extra sugar from soft drinks all those years. That was the only good habit I had been practicing however, and the water intake was only at dinner and not when I ate out. Still, I think it helped. Now, I am avoiding sugar drinks whenever possible.

This morning I weighed in and lost another pound. This is good because I know my weight loss from last week wasn't just a fluke.

Next week I am expecting a slight gain, since Easter is Sunday and I weigh myself on Mondays. However, I should be able to enjoy the extra food and sweets without overdoing it.

• Like 1

I never acquired a taste for sweet tea or coffee; I drink a cup of black coffee with breakfast and a glass of unsweet iced tea when we eat out; and it's water with all three meals, at least a glassful (I have to take most of my meds with food, breakfast & dinner). I gave up sodas when the doctor put me on The Diet from He** (which is actually OK, I maintain a constant weight with "wiggle" room). Thanks to my medications I have pretty much lost my taste for alcohol.

• Like 1

Kelly there is always month where money gets tight and maybe not being able to get a swimsuit you might find a nicer one next month or maybe even a sale. We all have things in life they come first so just dont feel bad about not being able to go swimming there be other chances. :thumb:

There you go Maureen you have to work on the dispenser and that will make you think how much your taking out of there or maybe even if you are taking it out of there. Congratulations on loosing another pound. :thumbup:

Oh Holly you are so right about the importance of water and yes keeping this on my mind might help me drink more. That and warmer weather cause if it isnt so warm I am not thursty. But I am working on it and I said it before I might have to work with the hourly alarm cause that reminds me anything else I just forget. Thank you for reminding me why it is so important to drink alot of water. ;)

Jackie I think it is great that you decided the cake does not hit the spot so I dont really need it. :thumb: I have alot of times where it happens or better said where I feel full and dont have to finish all thats on my plate it is kind of strange for me still but the right choice. :yes:

Oh wow Deb you just made me think of cantaloupe I want some. :D I think your lunch sounds good and I just decided I am making me a salad tonight.

I just been running around all day and now its time to drink water and have something to eat. But I am to lazy to cook so salad sounds good to me.

I wish you all a wonderful rest day and your all doing great!!!

Today I took a walk with my 91-year-old father. You would think he would have slowed me down quite a bit, but he didn't. He even altered my route to add roughly an extra half mile to it. My father likes to take a baseball with him, so he can bounce it along the way. I told him I can't do that because I am not coordinated enough to walk and bounce a ball at the same time. He laughed at me, but I was telling him the truth.

When we got home, I thought our walk was far enough and I wondered how long it will be before I build up my endurance. Then about an hour later my sister-in-law wanted me to bring her my suitcase lock and key because she and my brother are leaving for Florida on Thursday. So I walked to her house, which is a short distance, and I ended up taking another walk with her.

This time I felt like I could have keep walking. It was like I got my second wind. So when I came this time, I cleaned two rooms in the house, which are two less rooms I will have to clean tomorrow.

• Like 2

Maureen, stamina builds fairly quickly and it sounds like you're on a roll. Our middle son's wife is a marathon runner and it still bothers her that two old fa*ts half her age can outwalk her!

• Like 1

Thank you, Anja.

Holly, in regards to water, I know you can actually drink too much of it. I am always thirsty and always drinking water. In summer I probably put away a gallon a day or more. But I also eat a lot of salt.

When I was in ICU, however, they actually had to restrict my water intake for a couple of days because I was in the habit of sipping water all day long. However, my salt level was really low then, so lo and behold, so if I wanted to continue drinking water, I had to take in more salt. Like being given a license to eat chocolate!

As soon as I got home, of course, my salt intake went up and my water level went right up with it. What's funny, though, is if the nurses hadn't told me, I wouldn't have known otherwise. Weird.

Anyway, when I get really thirsty, like the time I had shingles, I was craving Gatorade. I have no idea why. A half gallon of that and I was OK and went right back to water. Likewise in summer when I feel really dehydrated, the only thing that really rehydrates me is plain old unsweetned tea, ice cold. I don't like unsweetened tea normally, but when it's hot and I'm super thirsty, I crave that too. I have no idea why that, either.

Otherwise, I drink ice water constantly. Water that is icy cold has a totally different flavor than cold tap water. It's the first thing I want when I get up in the morning.

Thank you for the warning about polydipsia, which is drinking so much water you actually flush out the electrolites your body needs to function properly. That's why I mentioned the two to three liter (quart) amount. It's also possible to consume too much salt.

Well, I am not making much/any progress....other than feeling better because I am not eating as much and not eating all of that junk food that sits in the breakroom at work! (although Easter means peanut butter eggs---my absolute weakness!! Help!!)

I was put back in "the boot" for 2 weeks because there was additional tearing at my surgery site in my left foot. Nonetheless, I did do a round of shopping at the mall yesterday in my never-ending search for a mother-of-the-groom dress! So that was my exercise for the day! LOL

The other discouraging thing is the Lyrica that I am now taking for my Fibromyalgia has a side affect of weight gain! ugh. Welp- I'll just carry on and hope it is enough to stave off any additional weight gain!

Anyone have a website or source for some upper arm exercises to get the "wings/wiggle" under control? I know I will never have the awesome arms like Michelle Obama, but I would like to try something to get some tone back into them!

• Like 1

Anyone have a website or source for some upper arm exercises to get the "wings/wiggle" under control? I know I will never have the awesome arms like Michelle Obama, but I would like to try something to get some tone back into them!

I was going to the Y for awhile and they told me to do three different arm exercises for my batwings (as I call them).

I use hand weights. 1-3 lbs or as you can tolerate.

For one exercise, you stand with knees bent slightly and bend your arms behind you and, from the elbow, lift the weights up and back. Here is a pictorial of how it looks. Holding your palms facing different directions helps each of the different areas.

Another one is lifting the weights from your arm in a forward position, palms up, lift up and toward your shoulders.

Here is a video clip of that one and one other one that goes over your head. The lady doing the exercises in this video tries to be super enthusiastic which is kind of annoying but she demonstrates the exercises well.

Good luck - it's a tough area to exercise. They explained to me that women use their arms to carry things and pull things up and towards them for the most of their normal life activities. Men, on the other hand, use their arms to push out and forward for their normal life activities, thus they don't acquire batwings and we do.

• Like 1

Hello everybody.

Pennsylvania Jackie feeling better is always good and I call that progress also. :) About armexcercise I really dont know too much but I think it might help when you walk to have light weights and keep moving your arms but of course shopping in a mall for a dress it would be awkward. lol I also think what Selkie posted might help you.

Well I been busy getting the house ready ( the one we live in) for the easter weekend cause we have familie and friends over. Here in good old we have a four day weekend which I am looking forward too. I am off right now all the time but having my husband home for four days will be great. I will watch what I am eating and I already told them all I want nothing cause they always bring tons of candy and I dont need or want any. So My dear mother in law is giving me a gift certificate for dollhouse stuff. :pepper: I told her not to get anything but to tell the truth I want that certificate. lol

Today I already drank 2 liters of water and working on my third liter. I am having pasta tonight so I am excited about that too and my house is starting to look great. I never ever skip my richard I was away almost all day yesterday and when I came home I had company I made dinner and washed the dishes so last night at 11:30 pm I did my Richard. I think I am to the point that I can not sleep if I dont do my exercise. Even though I was real tired and was ready to skip I could not. But today I did it early in the morning it feels better that way. :)

Anyways I hope you all have a great day and I wish you all at succeding whatever you have planed for today. :thumb: