Interest In Weightloss Support Topic Here?

Minis Over The Hill

Anja,you will be fine going back to school,as dedicated as you are to getting your body healthy! I went back to school (community college) at the age of 31 to become a certified preschool teacher (It was a 1 year program) and I was 5 months pregnant with my first child! I went into labor 12 days early the very evening after we dismissed for the 2 week Christmas break-after acing my finals-I gave birth the next morning and was back in class in 3 weeks time. I hated leaving my son that early,but in the long run it was best,because it gave me a job skill I loved! I couldn't do that now,myself,but it just proved to me that anything is possible!

I am lazy today after all the yard work-haven't even eaten anything more than a banana because I don't feel like cooking!

The surgical mask sounds like a great idea-I need to get some for when I mow or weed wack.

• Like 2

Thank you Kat. I think thats so great you went to school having your first baby and still do it to the end so you have your job skills. :thumbup: I can imagine how hard it was leaving your baby that soon again but I think it is just awesome you made it.

I do not think your lazy your exhausted and thats understandable. Maybe later you eat something. Yes the surgical mask should help for mowing and weed wacking too. I even checked and here in Germany we have some to help when people have allergies which I think be better for you since it sounds like you might be allergic. Just a suggestion I dont want to be pushy. lol

You go get your rest Kat and I wish you a relaxing afternoon and evening. :yes:

• Like 1

Anja, I am so proud of you! I agree with Kat that you will do just fine because you are already a dedicated person, and that is the most important part.

I was 36 when I got my Associate degree. I started going at nights when I was working, then after I got laid off, I went full-time. I was somewhat consious that I would stand out as an older student, but that was not the case. I met many divorced women my age who wanted to make a better life for themselves and their children, as well as numerous others in my age group. I even fit in well with the younger students because we all had a common goal.

Just last year I completed my Bachelor's degree, and this time I took all the courses online. In some ways I interacted more with my classmates, and again, age was not a problem.

If I can offer any advice, I would say beware of your limitations in terms of time management. For example, I could only take two courses at once. It is okay to be motivated enough to push yourself, as long as your goals are realistic. This challange is naturally scary, but you will do just fine.

• Like 2

Two days ago, I took a walk with my brother and sister-in-law to the firemen's carnival in my town. It was already dark, and the night air was chilly and windy, but since I had a piece of cheese cake that day and hadn't taken a walk earlier, I thought I better join them. I bought some funnel cakes to take home to the family, but I didn't eat any myself.

On the way home, we stopped at Rita's because my brother had a buy two, get the third item free coupon, and since there were three of us that would have been perfect, except that I was colder walking back than I was walking to the carnival. It was too cold for me to eat ice, so my sister-in-law and I got frozen custard, only hers was a large strawberry and mine was a regular vanilla light. It was delicious, but holding the cup made my hands cold, so I had to wait until I got into my brother's warm house before I could finish it.

After eating cheesecake and custard in the same day, I am trying to be good throughout the weekend. Today I was out of yogurt, so I bought some containers that were only 90 calories. The previous yogurt I bought was 170 calories, and the 90 calorie yogurt tastes better. In two months, the fat free yogurt should save me an extra pound. So far, I don't really feel like I am eating less - just better.

• Like 1

Thank you Maureen that you believe in me. Like you said I fear I am the oldest one and sometimes I have the feeling I am a scatter brain. My husband is making his bachelor right now too and he is doing it like you did your bachelor.with online schooling and he has twice a week in the evening a class he can join which he does. I always admired people who went back to school in a certain age and I thought if I only was that brave. Now I am at that point cause I have no other choice. The phisical rehab has to still aprove the papaerwork cause the school is very expensive and we cant do it on our own right at this point. Yesterday I saw an newspaperarticle about a 93 year old woman from Australia she just made her doctor. I thought that was so great. So I want to thank you all and it makes me feel good that you all done schooling later in life and motivates me to get the job done.

Maureen you are doing so great with your walking and getting low calorie stuff and enjoying it anyways. Most important is not to feel hungry and that we dont have the feeling we have to resist every single thing we love and it amazes me too how low calorie food can be so good. You doing great and I think it is nice you brought your family the funnel cake and you yourself did not have any of it. Way to go!

I went on my bikeride yesterday but only did a little over 8 km. The reason was my husband. He gain over the years alot of weight and has not got to the point to want to loose it yet. Like I said before I never ever would push anybody to do something they are not ready too. On friday evening he went to his parents to get my mother in law set up with the internet at the age of 70 (which I think is amazing too). We just seen them on easter but nothing was said. As he went there alone on friday apperantly his mom told him he gotten fat. He came home crushed and hurt and said he wants to start riding the bike with me. So we went yesterday and of course starting off it all goes a little slower and we had to do a short route. So since it is raining hard today and is supose to stay like this all day no biking for us. I am hoping that he gets the point too that he has to change his eating habbits otherwise there wont be changing much. I did say that and he said he wants too but as I suggestet what we could eat he was not impressed. So I guess he is not quiet at that point. yet. I keep my fingers crossed cause that would mean one meal cooking a day and most importantly that he gets healthy.

I wish you all a wonderful sunday and keep going ladies. We are on our way!!

Anja, go online to find the Urban Peasant website and get your husband cooking! James Barber has passecd away, but his recipes are simple and it got my hubs cooking for us. Even with low and fatfree choices for ingredients the recipes make very good dishes.

Anja, you seem brave enough to do anything you set your mind to do. If you feel you have no other choice but to go back to school, then at least you don't have to stress over whether you are making the right decision, if this is worth your time, etc. I hope you get the funding you need because schooling is expensive, and I was lucky enough to get state funding for my first degree and then some federal funding for the second degree. A little bit of help can go a long way.

I think you will be a good inspiration to your husband, and while I am sorry his feelings were hurt, his mother may have done him a favor in the long run. I also think you are wise to realize he has to be ready to do this for himself. For a long time I was aware of my poor eating habits, but I wasn' really ready to make a commitment to myself until now. That has made all the difference.

One thing I want to say about going to school is that if you have to alter your schedule to cater to your studies, you may end up altering your diet as well. For example, if you are up later than usual working on a paper or reading a chapter and get a craving, you will have to decide whether to give into the craving, go to bed, or if you can put food thoughts aside long enough to continue to concentrate. Sometimes you just have to go with the moment, but I know you will be able to balance it all out. Just make sure never to take a test when you are hungry.

• Like 1

Thank you Holly for the advice. My husband is a gem he does really anything in the house cleaning floors windows laundry anything but cooking is really not what he can do at all. I really just want to lose weight and live healthy (not die) so I am gonna look at the Urban Peasant webside. You can not know Holly but thats one thing he really cant do. We did ride the bike today after all so I hope he is getting on his way. :D

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your advice Maureen. I will change my daily routine but I am determend to do it all. I never be skinny but at the age of 50 I want to be acceptable. You speak out of my mind about the founding for my school and I really want to work fulltime so I can visit my daughter and grandkids once a year in the Staates. Plus I need a structur in my life thats half the rent of the healthy program I think. I hated and always will hate when people tell me about something I feel horrible about already and have the feeling it is to hard to change. Thats why I will never ever judge an overweight person, an alcoholic a drugaddict or any other addict just rude mean people I judge I have to admit. Thats why I would never ever tell a person do this or that.

My husband supports me accepts me and loves me the way I am and been for more than 16 years so who am I to tell him what to do?

He will be ready when it is his time. :)

I hope you all have a wonderful relaxing sunday. I have a great one cause my soccerteam won. YEAH :pepper::cheer::carrot:

Yeah for your soccer team, Anja. You don't need to be skinny, and you are already acceptable. I don't judge people either because I can't possibly know what it is like to be in everybody's shoes, and I have enough to deal with making sure my own shoes fit well.

The reason I am so supportive of those in a weight loss program is because most people who try to lose weight are in effect improving their health, as is the case with those on this forum. If someone was on a fad diet that didn't make sense or was a borderline anorexic, I would be concerned and even angry at the message society was giving them. From what I can tell, everyone who has commented here has a healthy mind frame, which makes me happy to be a part of this.

• Like 1

Since I have been enjoying my walks, I came up with a new, long-term goal. I got a county map and made a list of all the streets in my town. I thought it would be fun to see how many streets I can walk on (or along when there is sidewalk) from now until the end of fall when I expect it will be too cold to walk outdoors.

I am not counting the streets on the opposite side of the railroad tracks because I don't intend to walk in an industrial area, and I won't count the few isolated streets either, where it would be too inconvenient to walk; but the rest is doable. My town is only a few miles long, and from 1913, it was built in piecemeal, which means there are many dead ends and developments where I wouldn't normally travel by car. So those streets would be nice to walk.

I have walked on many of these streets in my lifetime, but I am only counting the ones I've walked this season, so I am practically starting over. I have a friend who lives on the other side of town, so I can park my car there and take a long walk from her house, plus I can park at the high school and my church and walk in those areas. For most other areas I can start from home. I am excited about this because it will keep the walks interesting, and this goal will keep me motivated.

• Like 1

Oh Maureen that sounds like a fantastic plan to walk the in the streets in your town. Right now it is perfect to do that since every thing is in bloom and the yards must be an eyeside,. That is a huge plan to walk all the roads but I think its so neat you already figured out where to park to get to all of them Industrial area are not pretty so you dont miss nothing and honestly I wouldnt walk or ride my bike there eighter, You got such big plans and I am proud of you for having a plan to discover your town with something thats good for your body and you enjoy doing!! Way to go.

Thank you also for gratulating me on my teams win you might have heard me cheer. lol I love the sentence with the shoes cause it is so true and everybody has their own shoes they have to fill and fit.

As for me I am having a hard time to get going today. I just done my Richard and I dont feel up to ride my bike. I hope this will change and I am working on my motivation. I just had a bad night (just 3 hours sleep) and have a feeling I am getting sick cause my whole body hurts. I dont want to complain sorry just saying how it is. The up part on it is I am not hungry and I am enjoying my hot fruit tea cause it feels good in my belly. Maybe I have a vegie soup later but thats about it.

I hope you all have a great day and I enjoy reading about what you all plan on doing different (eating, sport, exercise, gardening) Kepp up the good work and take good care of yourselfs

If your body hurts, Anja then take it easy today. You may be run down or getting sick, so you don't want to overdo it. If you got your dose of Richard, that is accomplishment enough, and the bike can wait.

Today is weigh in day for me, and I am down another three pounds. That is great, but it is also a bit scary. It is nice to see immediate results for your efforts, but I am afraid I won't be able to maintain this level of success. I am not that worried, as I am not going hungry, nor am I deprived. At no time am I thinking that when this is over, I am going to eat this and that, and at this point I don't even have any cravings.

However, I am concerned that my momentum may fade away in time. I did not take my daily walk, nor did I purchase flowers like I intended to do today, but instead, I was on the phone for two and a half hours resolving an insurance issue. I probably burned up 6,000 calories in pure aggrevation, in which case, I would prefer to stay overweight.

I took care of the situation, but those things take a lot out of me. Normally, I would eat something or have a glass of wine to calm down, but today my "insurance workout" had the opposite effect on me, and I feel like taking my left-over aggrevation and use it constructively. This is good, but in the future I don't want to get back into the habit of using food for comfort; although in moderation or every now and then, that shouldn't be a bad thing to do.

I hope everyone's week got off to a good start, and if not, I wish you enough incentive to try to make it better.

Wow Maureen way to go!!!! I am so proud of you and I think it is fantastic you lost three pounds. I can understand that your scared to fall back cause I feel that too. But your doing great and even in stress situations you dont go eat or drink whats not really good for you. I am so sorry you had such a stressy day and I am glad to hear you got it straightend out. I hate to do stuff like that myself and know I always get really upset cause they make it so hard to stay calm. I have a phonecall like that before me today but not with the insurance just as anoying.

Your doing wonderful and you need to pad yourself on your back. I would do it but my arms dont reach that far.

Yes it is official I am sick. Last night my temperatur raised a little too. So I am just gonna take it easy. I ate a little vegiesoup but I wasnt real hungry just did drink alot of fruittea. I have no idea if I do my Richard today cause right now my head hurts. But hopefully it gets better through out the day. I hope everybody is save. Havent heard from Kat eighter but hearing about the tornadoes worries me. My kids are all save and I hope you all stay save too.

I wish everybody a wonderful day.

Anja, the tornados have been mainly to the north and west of us, in Mississippi. We are getting rain and thunderstorms now; a lightning flash that lit up our bedroom through foam0insulated draperies followed by a thunderclap that shook the house is why I'm up & online at 4 AM. (I live 96+ km east of Kat).

Oh no Holly I mean it being in Mississippi is a little ways from AL but only little ways depending where in AL you live. Please stay save, And yeah I would say thats enough reason to be up when the storm is that close and thunder can be besides dangerous loud. Hope the spuk be over very soon. Take good care of yourself Holly!!!

Anja,I haven't been reading this topic much the last couple of days,and will have to catch up later,but I am fine. Hope you feel better! We had some beautiful,beautiful days and then,yes,the bottom fell out in the late night/early morning hours. It's been raining and thundering and lightening something fierce! I am not going to even try to follow a healthy diet today,except I grabbed my large glass and filled it with water first thing this morning. I am so proud of myself for beginning that habit! Hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 1

I am so glad your doing ok Kat!!! I was just worried that everything is ok. This was not a call to make you write in the topic I am just worried since Alabama was hit and alot of other Staates but Alabama always makes me have sleepless nights. Just stay save you and Holly. My daughter told me there is more to come. Take good care of yourself and I am glad you have a new habbit. ;)

• Like 1

Anja, we got Bahama shutters on all our windows when we bought our house and DH went around shutting them down when the first severe thunderstorm warning was issued.

After five days of eating Cajun cuisine nonstop I have gained weight; but now we're home and back to our normal diet.

• Like 1

Holly I am glad that you and your Husband made it back ok. Oh ja Cajun food I love it. :eatyum: But you and your husband are so good with your diet you loose it in a jiffy. ;) I just had to look up what bahama shutters are. But they are a must have in the area you live in. I havent heard from my kids eighter but I have seen nothing happend there so I am relieved.

Today was my weigh in day. Well 3 weeks in a row no lost but no gain eighter. I am not frustrated but I have to admit I am a little disapointed. I went to the grocerys after weighing in ( first I got my car back, second tomorow is laborday in Germany and all stores are closed) and did my shopping. Packed it in the car and drove home. As I was driving down the road I thought wow Anja you had not the best start in the day but you just got healthy food and did not makle a list. I even notice afterward going down the dangerous eile and nope I did not look at it I did not put it in the shoppingcart I just did that what I was there for and did not even think oh I love to have this or that. So even the day startet not as positiv as I hoped this is one of the most positiv grocery shopping I did. So yep I am padding myself on the back. lol I am feeling alot better but we have not the greatest weather so I have to admit I dont think I am going to ride the bike today eighter. I am even trying to motivate me to do my Richard which I will in a few cause I dont think if I wait it gets better.

I wish everybody a wonderful day and take great care of yourselfs. :thumb:

• Like 1

Way to go, Anja! Your attitude will get you far. No loss, no gain is fine, but it can be a bit disappointing. Hang in there because in the long run it will pay off, and in the meantime, keep patting yourself on the back.

I am not expecting much success this week, as the weather is very bad in central New Jersey, and I haven't taken a walk in a few days. Also, last night I had dinner at my brother's house because my niece and her boyfriend were there, and that means I ate twice, as I fix something for my parents and aunt at eat at noon. I have also been eating a little bit more because last night I ate some "broken" pieces of leftover cheesecake, and today I ate a few extra spoon fills of sloppy joe mix because it was too little left to put away. That excuse always serves me well.

I think the main thing is to get back on track, and the best way to do that is not to veer too far away from it in the first place. But realistically we have to allow ourselves some time to wonder, and there will always be some fluctuation in our weight.

• Like 1

Today between washing clothes and making lunch, I took a mile and a half walk, but for a different reason than exercise. It was a beautiful morning, but it rained heavily for the past two days, and I went to see how high the waters rose around me. I fortunately live in one of the higher sections in town, even though there are branches of the Raritan River all around my home. The streets flooded in the usual places, but I don't believe anyone's home got damaged, which was good.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy day.

• Like 1