Haunting The Orchid

amylynn920

The 'Like' function is acting up and won't let me 'like' your last comment,Amy,so consider it 'liked'!lol I named my current D.C. Ashley build The Cool Breeze cottage,but she's Breezy when I'm working on her and daydreaming about her. :) I could never come up with a name for a previous Ashley kit and I think that helped cause a disconnect with it-'it' is currently shelved! Good to see you so excited! I can't wait to get my Orchid kit going,when I see how much fun it is for others! :)

• Like 1

I love Irene's White Orchid chapel. The pops of red really put it over the top. I did a red roof on my White Orchid, too. There was something about the White Orchid that cried out for red. I wanted the roof to be smooth, like the surface of a mushroom, so I sprayed the roof parts with red Krylon spray paint. I then cut white circles from crafters foam sheets and glued them on to complete the mushroom look. See it here.

• Like 2

Kathie,this Orchid is one of my favorites and I have seen what seems like tons of Orchids in my searches before buying my kit awhile back. I love the stairs and stove,too. And there's so much fun detail-every time you look you can spot something different not noticed before! Such fun! See,Amy,you are going to have a blast with this kit!! :D

Stacey, the stairs/oven wall is made from contractor's foam board covered with gesso. It is free standing and can be slid to one side to reach the battery pack that powers the lights.

Did any of you notice that my White Orchid is a mix of 1/2" and 1" scale? The house of course is 1", but the stairs and furnishings are 1/2" to accommodate the resident elves. It doesn't seem logical, but it works.

Did any of you notice that my White Orchid is a mix of 1/2" and 1" scale? The house of course is 1", but the stairs and furnishings are 1/2" to accommodate the resident elves. It doesn't seem logical, but it works.

I didn't but now that I go back and look, you're right, illogical but it really does work! :Xmas:

Thanks Kathie , I just might give that a try . :D And that is pretty neat mixing the scales , never would have thought to do that.

Necessity is the mother of invention. The elves would have been very uncomfortable with 1" furnishings. The only structural change was making the 1/2" scale stairway that doubled as a hiding place for the battery pack.

The houseboat that Holly mentioned was a different kettle of fish. I added a couple of inches to the cabin walls so a second floor could be added. It was necessary to change to 1/2" scale because the silly boat insisted it wanted a 2-story ballroom.

• Like 1

My Ouija board and box I bought from Ebay is coming today, and it's the first item for my house. I can't wait to get started on the Orchid. I'm pretty much housebound and most everything I order is online. I'm awaiting glue and clamps to help with keeping this beauty together. They should be in to me after Christmas. Hopefully before. I'm researching paint colors for the house.

I'm leaning to a white exterior with green trim, I'm still not sure though. So many decisions :D

• Like 1

I just picked up a Chrysnbon antique stove for my house. It reminds me of my grandmother's stove. I still have her original cast iron trivets. The best thing about this little kit is it comes with the fry pans, trivets, sad irons and a few other things. It should be fun assembling this.

post-55314-0-56104900-1387688000_thumb.j

Edited by amylynn920

Cool kit! Hey,so maybe your grandmother is your inspiration-what about her name? :)

Her Name was Irene, and that may turn out to be this Orchid's name. Or I could use her middle name which was Nora. It could become The Nora House. Lot's of possibilities!

• Like 1

I LOVE that stove! I used it pretty much as is in Maggie:

gallery_8_988_239687.jpg

and also in the pub; I grunged it up for Emma's kitchen; I also painted the Chrysnbon cookware set and used the Chrysnbon icebox. The chair and table came from my workshop:

gallery_8_8_11792.jpg

• Like 1

That stove looks awesome, I hope I can do mine justice. I need a cat to sleep under it. When I was little I had a fat tabby named Mittens. She spent most of the Winter under that stove, it was so nice and warm under there for her. I have to look and see if I can find a miniature cat that looks like her.

Amy,you may or may not want to set a season for your Orchid build-if you do,the stove with a cat cozied up under it made me think 'winter haven',or something to that effect. My Cool Breeze will be more Spring/Summer. I also love your grandmother's names! :)