Orchid Double Hung Windows

Hi Everyone,

I need a little help with the Orchid's double hung windows and staining/paint the surrounding walls. Sorry if a simliar question has been asked before, but I could not find an previous blog post.

For part B of assembly, the directions say that the "portion of the wood surrounding the window opening, both interior and exterior, should be finsihed as the sashes have been (i.e. paint or stain) before gluing the sashes in place."

(I stained my window sashes a dark brown, but I plan to paint the exterior a light blue. For the interior I want to do stucco.)

So my question: how do I measure how much I should stain around the window on the house's walls? When I look at pictures of finished Orchids online it's not obvious to me that everyone has followed this direction. Is it really that important?

-Sarah

rsz_img_2221.thumb.jpg.1d724baac55ce7f0af614147ddfb08ab.jpgTry doing a dry fit with tape of the completed interior and exterior windows. I haven't built the orchid, but on other Greenleaf houses I have built the interior gap is about the same width as the sashes.

rsz_1img_2222.thumb.jpg.89e4e4fb4fedf0d50ab5c19079090313.jpg

I lay the surround part over the window opening and carefully trace around it and then mask it so no primer or paint gets on the wood I'm going to glue it to.  I also wait until all the rest of the decorating is done to install the windows.  I think the part of the wall the instruction have you painting/ staining is the part inside the part the outer frame surrounds, since that becomes part of the window's sash.