Everybody should try one (Kris' chair tut)

rbytsdy

This chair that I made from the upholstered chair tutorial by 1inchminisbykris http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/2013/01/chair-upholstering-tuttorial-how-to.html is like candy-- the only reason I'm not making another right now, is that I ran out of foamboard! :p

post-928-0-25553200-1367623650_thumb.jpgpost-928-0-76739100-1367624258_thumb.jpg

Here it is in my pink Tennyson... Love this chair. Tomorrow I will acquire more foamboard if it takes me all day. Thanks for a great tutorial, Kris!

Note: it's heavier than it looks; all the foamboard and matboard layers actually give it a surprising amount of sturdiness and weight. I think it will hold up well for children's play, in fact...

Edit: added another pic

• Like 4

ok...you sold me...Im off to read the tutorial and collect materials....need to furnish a dollhouse cheaply and cutely for my grandaughters dollhouse

you did an amazing job!! love the pink room!! chair is perfect in it!!

• Like 1

rbtsy, i follow kris,too,and hope to sit down and make one of these one day.dare i say it,i like yours better than hers,and hers is perfect!that makes yours perfect plus! :) thanx for sharing with us,and i hope u shared with kris.she seems like such a nice lady and so generous to share her talents!!take care,Kat

Thanks nutti! It took me a few hours but well worth the time. Actually I only printed out the first page with the front and back, and sized the rest myself. I also need to furnish the Tennyson cheaply so I thought this would be a good piece, and so it is. I got the cloth at Joann's-- it's linen, and great for gluing.

Thanks Kathy-- it's not as perfect as Kris' chair though; she has much cleaner cut lines than I do! I will send her a picture though.

I love Kris' blog. She has some great things on there. Your chair looks really nice! I have tried a few things from her site - I made the bed and the ladies secretary desk, but I had to scale it down to 1/2" for the build along that I am doing.

Here is a link to my gallery with those pieces in it.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=6150

• Like 2

Those are fabulous pieces, Patricia-- I bet this chair would scale well too...

Kris' patterns are pretty simple, so I'm sure scaling them down would work well.

Patsea...your furniture pieces are amazing....I would love to be able to do such work and in half scale!!! nice!!

I want to try some of her stuff but I will have to make a supply list to get started....I have several sections of mat board....any tips for me

the bed and the desk would be 2 of the pieces I would love for my Diana!

Patsea...your furniture pieces are amazing....I would love to be able to do such work and in half scale!!! nice!!

I want to try some of her stuff but I will have to make a supply list to get started....I have several sections of mat board....any tips for me

the bed and the desk would be 2 of the pieces I would love for my Diana!

With the mat board, just have a sharp knife, a good ruler and start cutting! I used wood glue on my pieces. Just follow step by step with Kris' instructions and you should be fine. Once you get going - you'll see how easy it really is.

I not only appreciate Kris' blog, but all the results I've seen here of what members have made, especially the stuff scaled down to 1:24, is just otally awesome! I have a book of mini upholstered furniture patterns, and her armchair tutorial results look SO much better!

rbtsdy,i showed my younger son your pink chair the other day and it blew him away.long ago i taught my boys that all colors in nature are for to everyone to enjoy-no pink just for girls or boys only restricted to blue-just because of outdated man made traditions.this boy of mine is nuts for pink!his family,friends,and girlfriends have always had so much fun finding him things in every rosy shade possible.he even had a small pink frig for his dorm room!so of course he loved your choice of color and thought you did a great job.i already told you i think it's perfect! :) Kat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay, so I finally got around to trying a half-scale version, for the half-scale Rosedale I'm building; looking at the meager and overpriced furniture selection for 1:24, I thought that I could probably do just as well trying my hand at making a few pieces. First I scaled down Kris' original patterns (by careful measurement and eye):

post-928-0-91200400-1377984664_thumb.jpg

Then I put it together per her instruction steps at http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/search/label/Make%20and%20upholster%20a%201%20inch%20scale%20chair, except scaling down materials; in general, I halved the number of foamboard thicknesses in the base seat, substituted matboard for foamboard in the chair backs and seat, used two layers of fleece instead of batting layers, and substituted regular paper for matboard in the upholstery covering steps. I used a lineny-type fabric that I've used in my 1:12 wing chairs-- it glues very well.

post-928-0-47487700-1377984832_thumb.jpg

Almost there! (Don't pay attention to the windows-- I am going to fix those wavy mullion lines...)

post-928-0-14941400-1377984934_thumb.jpg

A little trim makes a big difference:

post-928-0-14727900-1377984974_thumb.jpgpost-928-0-32227300-1377984993_thumb.jpg

post-928-0-23906500-1377985018_thumb.jpg

This was a lot of fun! In some ways, easier than a 1:12 chair, oddly enough. :p

• Like 1