Is it worth it to rehab this Allison/Whitney?

Gonzo

About a year ago a lady GAVE me this house to rehab for charity or whatever I wanted to do with it. She said it was hers 30 years ago. The carpet was ripped out, it smelled AWFUL, and is in extreme disrepair. I had made a comment to Brae that I thought I could make it a dilapidated, condemned or haunted home. She was right: it would take a lot of work.

I have looked at it for a while trying to make a decision. This weekend while I was in the garage working on other projects (like fixing the "oops" I made on my Little Shop of Horrors), I decided to try a couple of things. I pulled off all of the gingerbread trim and did a coat of spray primer (hoping I didn't lose too many brain cells or too many brain cells).

If I do decide to rehab, the corner porch support will be replaced by a post. I also plan on floor coverings as the hot glue from the old carpet left some residue. It will probably be all paint and no paper and any trim or porch replacement pieces would come from my "craigslist finds" so there would be no additional investment.

I need some opinions on whether or not it is worth the effort. My plan is that IF I do it, the house will be donated to a charity or given to someone.

post-8632-0-79332200-1367202954_thumb.jp

post-8632-0-13917900-1367202970_thumb.jp

post-8632-0-59102500-1367202996_thumb.jp

I'd go for it. Cheaper than a new kit, and you can throw it away later. If the smell lingers, a box of baking soda or kitty litter and the house in a sealed garbage bag for a day or two, then some sun, might help.

there is always a little girl who needs a house....but also...lately I had been thinking Id like to do a lil fairy neighborhood in a bare spot in my yard

an old house in disrepair would fit in such a place nicely...cant hurt to mess around with it if thats what you want to do

its a very nice house for a young girl and the small dolls they love to play with!

I'd go for it. Cheaper than a new kit, and you can throw it away later. If the smell lingers, a box of baking soda or kitty litter and the house in a sealed garbage bag for a day or two, then some sun, might help.

The smell is gone. It spent its first couple of months sealed in a trash bag with some charcoal.

• Like 3

To me, any house is worth trying to save....unless there is way too much damage to the wood. I've had to trash only 1 house so far, and refused another because of severe damage. So I say, "Go for it!". It would be a good house to experiment with new techniques and maybe donate.

• Like 2

I would have taken it all apart with a heat gun first, scraped off all the hot glue and old paint, put it into dry fit and let it tell me what it wants, then cut loose with my imagination.

• Like 1

If you can salvage it with paint and minimum fluff - no wallpaper or fancy stuff - there's probably a little girl out there who would love it. Leave the gingerbread off and make it plain - different color paints can make it look pretty good. You might call around in your area and find some charity that could use it in their facility - like a homeless shelter, or a shelter for battered women. They often have kids with them and the house could be a little therapy house - tough enough to take some rough handling. After all, it has survived 30 years already!

• Like 1

Oh, heck! Some little girl with Li'l Bratz or Polly Pockets could have a blast with it right now!

I must remind myself to read a little more slowly -- at first glance I read "Some little Brat ... " :D

• Like 3

LOL, Checkmouse!!! Hahahaha.

I still say get rid of it. What if there is some nasty mold hiding in there after all that time sitting and rotting? OK, maybe that is pushing it, but I still think you can do better. I agree that we should save as many houses as we can and all, but it sounds like this house hasn't been speaking to you anyway. Why put yourself through all that work? :bangin: It looks old and beaten and worn. I KNOW you can fix it, but at what cost? :pullhair:

You could make a charity a brand new sound and beautiful house out of one of your other kits that would be far better. :D I'm the voice of descent on your shoulder (the burning, hot side). But in all seriousness, sometimes you just have to let something go. I'm only saying this because I KNOW you already have other kits that would make some child's dream come true without putting your efforts into something that is... very old. I will shut up now.

(I'm sorry if I offend anyone's dollhouse-saving sensibilities, but I'm learning that "it's OK" to give up on/trash a project if it really isn't working.) :shaun:

• Like 1

I love it when a plan comes together. First, I appreciate Blondie's honesty and openness. I agree that there are times when you need to cut your losses and move on. I actually do have enough other kits to keep me busy for a lifetime. This being said, I have made a decision: I am going to give the house to MiniKelli. I have a business trip to Ohio in a few weeks. I will deliver it to her at that time. I am sure she will do something great with it.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I had to give up a rehab - it was just beyond my skill. I felt very guilty, but every time I tried to do something to it, something else fell apart. It was handmade and I think it was just a little out of proportion, which did not help. My vision for the house got bogged down with all the repairs. When I finally told my husband how much the house was weighing on me, he encouraged me to throw it out and helped me (in a matter of minutes) dismantle it and put it in the trash. Then, I felt relieved. It was time for the house to go to dh heaven.

• Like 3