Official Spring Fling 2012 Update (merged topic)

I'm going way out of my comfort zone on this one too. It's just speaking to me and there's no arguing about what we're going to do. The new addition immediately said it's going to be a _____ which is perfect because I needed one of those!! The greenhouse won't be a greenhouse and it'll have ______ on the top and sides plus a white ______ outside. I'm going to be taking some major chances with vivid and wild colors this time as well as some free hand painting; both are things that I've shied away from in the past so this is going to be exciting and challenging.

Chris, pleeeeeeeeeease come play Fling this year. You know you want to and we'll have such fun! Selkie, I hope that you come and play too. I completely understand about how hard it can be to build with hands that are painful and swollen, but since we have until Labor Day we can take our time and go slow. I took a slice out of my finger yesterday with an xacto blade which is the first time I've ever had a major accident while building but I'm going to take it as a reminder to slow down and be more careful. The main thing is that I didn't bleed on the lighthouse. LOL! But my body and my spirit are both going to benefit from playing Fling this year so I'm finding more ways to compensate for the lack of mobility in my hands like padding my brush handles more and setting a timer to remind me to stop and rest frequently. You and I can go slow and steady together. :hug:

Deb

The couch can go. Not the husband. He listens, with great patience to my gazillions of ideas. He stops at the craft store on the way home from work. But....even he realizes we only have so much room. I've got to save space for next years contest too :) and the next, and the next......

Good decision, Morgan :D Sounds like you've got a keeper! I get NO support from mine, but have learned to rise above it. BTW - everytime I see you post with "Pacific Northwest" I'm intrigued. Whenever I see those words I think "Washington" but then remember that Idaho and Oregon are included in that scope. I'm on the WA peninsula - would love to meet you if you're anywhere near! There aren't too many miniaturists in my area.

I'm already "following" this post, and checking in 3-4 times a day -- with today's technology we need one more item. There should be a way to trigger a fire alarm :blowup: or at least a full-screen message on the computer :pcwhack: when the annoucement is finally made!

• Like 1

This is crazy! I do all of this from my 'smart' phone, which isn't behaving! There is so much to comment on and reply to. The latest addition.........I'll admit, I was overwhelmed for an hour or so, it would NEVER fit my idea.........I could go on. I showed my son, commented how it looked just like Pop's (my Great Grandpa) egg and vegetable stand during the depression. He has seen photos. Anyway, that's when inspiration struck. NEVER say never. I know that. I also know that the simple old school under $20 isn't so simple. If Pop ( & Nana's) egg stand can be a _______ _____, for my ________ it can probably be anything.

Good decision, Morgan :D Sounds like you've got a keeper! I get NO support from mine, but have learned to rise above it. BTW - everytime I see you post with "Pacific Northwest" I'm intrigued. Whenever I see those words I think "Washington" but then remember that Idaho and Oregon are included in that scope. I'm on the WA peninsula - would love to meet you if you're anywhere near! There aren't too many miniaturists in my area.

Sorry. I am in Oregon. I'm so bad at going places I haven't even joined the local miniature club. This forum is my big social thing :) But.......I am hoping that is changing. Do you ever make it south? How far are you, timewise from the border?

I'm going way out of my comfort zone on this one too. It's just speaking to me and there's no arguing about what we're going to do. The new addition immediately said it's going to be a _____ which is perfect because I needed one of those!! The greenhouse won't be a greenhouse and it'll have ______ on the top and sides plus a white ______ outside. I'm going to be taking some major chances with vivid and wild colors this time as well as some free hand painting; both are things that I've shied away from in the past so this is going to be exciting and challenging.

Chris, pleeeeeeeeeease come play Fling this year. You know you want to and we'll have such fun! Selkie, I hope that you come and play too. I completely understand about how hard it can be to build with hands that are painful and swollen, but since we have until Labor Day we can take our time and go slow. I took a slice out of my finger yesterday with an xacto blade which is the first time I've ever had a major accident while building but I'm going to take it as a reminder to slow down and be more careful. The main thing is that I didn't bleed on the lighthouse. LOL! But my body and my spirit are both going to benefit from playing Fling this year so I'm finding more ways to compensate for the lack of mobility in my hands like padding my brush handles more and setting a timer to remind me to stop and rest frequently. You and I can go slow and steady together. :hug:

Deb

Oh, I've pretty much decided that I'm gonna jump in this year again, Deb. I really missed not being part of it last year. If I'd get off my lazy rump and finish the Gull Cottage (whose occupants will be here in a few days - YIKES!), this Flingy-thing wouldn't be scaring the bejeezus outta me.

Of course, it DOES give me the opportunity to look for MANY more little goodies at the Bishop show next month --hehehe. I'd better tuck a few more bucks into my mad money jar...I can see that I'm going to need them!

• Like 1

Sorry. I am in Oregon. I'm so bad at going places I haven't even joined the local miniature club. This forum is my big social thing :) But.......I am hoping that is changing. Do you ever make it south? How far are you, timewise from the border?

I'm about 140 miles from Portland, and don't get down there very often anymore. This forum is my main miniature social life also. There is a club not too far from me but they only meet on Saturdays, which is logical for most people, but my job keeps me working most weekends.

Deb

OUCH! Hate when that happens. A couple weeks ago, I wasn't paying attention and cut the web between thumb and forefinger with my EZ-Cutter...sure was EZ alright! LOL Went through it like "buttah"...Zzzing! Hope you heal right quick GF!

I hope I didn't start something mentioning this isn't 'simple, under $20'. There are obviously several great pieces. When all is said and done, retail will surely be more than $20 for all. But.........:) every year I have seen it the SF prices are special and irresistable.

I'm not worried about the price - Greenleaf always offers a great discount and none of these pieces look very elaborate so far. Ok, I'm going to stop checking this site 10x a day. I'm going insane with anticipation!

... A couple weeks ago, I wasn't paying attention and cut the web between thumb and forefinger with my EZ-Cutter...sure was EZ alright! LOL Went through it like "buttah"..

I am squirming in my seat after reading this..and I'm not easily disturbed. OUCH! Ok. back to obsessing about the SF kits :D

OHHHH IIIIII CCCAAANNN"""TTTTT WWWWWAAAAIIIITTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I so want to see ALL of this kit!!!!!! I need sizes, prices, I keep thinking it might end up costing more than I think. BUT, I know they have alot to work on. Just can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:jumping: Right there with everyone! I think it will hit just in time for my commission payment to hit my bank account, and then BAM a-shopping I will go! Greenhouse is definitely on my list of things to get. AND, not to complicate anyone's thoughts on it all, but remember, we can still potentially use all those additions from LAST year (cupola, dormers, stairs, finnials.....) :bounce:

AND, not to complicate anyone's thoughts on it all, but remember, we can still potentially use all those additions from LAST year (cupola, dormers, stairs, finnials.....) :bounce:

Yes, yes you can. <grinning> Any or all of those would work with this year's house.........or any other house. And the additions from this year's kit will work with any other house too. Dean started working in stealth mode last year to create individual components that can be used on almost any house and I'm sooooooooooooo in love with that concept. I was thrilled to see him doing it again this year. The "mix and match" way of building appeals to the eclectic in me. LOL! If I had the space I'd start building a rambling old mansion like a Second Empire house that just kept growing and growing in weird ways.

Chris, I'm so sorry you're among the walking wounded too. That had to have seriously hurt. I cut that webbing once when I broke a glass doing dishes and it took forever to heal up. You and I are going to have to go slower or else they'll start taking out sharp pointy things away from us and we can't have that!

Deb

Last year I actually cut my "web" area with a pair of scissors! How dumb is that??!! Was so intent on cutting a mini then BLAM!!

I was so embarrassed but it also struck me funny.

Oh, and Dean.......so far so good..I mean GREAT!!!! :D

Struck me as 'funny' too, LLyn, as it is the 2nd time I've done it. Once, whilst clipping the hedges with a small pair of clippers (dumb!), and now this (dumber!).

Deb is right...if I'm not careful, someone will (and probably SHOULD) take away all my sharp objects. :ohmy::bangin:

Maybe my new name should be: Runs With Scissors! lol

Deb is right...if I'm not careful, someone will (and probably SHOULD) take away all my sharp objects. :ohmy::bangin:

l

And that, my friend, is one of the biggest motivators I have to avoid doing things that will get me sent to jail. :hunter: <cackle> They won't let you have a dremel in a prison cell. :cops:

Deb

• Like 1

Nope, no dremel in prison! ;) my lighthouse is starting to holler about that greenhouse would be soooo purr-fect as a sun room, not sure about the size and if it would fit...

Hugs