What's everyone working on?

The Arthur is electrified! But not without a big bump along the way.

I partly filled in the windows in the Arthur's second floor. I also raised the first floor. This means that when running the tape wire around the upstairs bedroom walls, it ran over the area of the window that was filled in. In fact, the top of the tape wire was on the filled in section while the bottom half of the tape wire was on the solid wall.

Now none of this would mean anything, but me being me, I decided to make a connection right at that spot.

It was the last connection I had to make. The first eyelet went in on the wall side of the tape - no problem there. The very last eyelet went in on the part of the tape that was on the filled in part of the window. "One good punch," thinks I, and....not only did I punch out the filled in section, but of course the tape wire went with it, tearing out the top section of tape. This still wouldn't have been so bad, except this tape wire was on the right side of the house and ran all the way around the bedroom walls and into the bathroom on the other side. I didn't want to waste that tape, so I made a fold, a reroute, and a repunch, plus repaired the window. It works, but who knows what will happen once everything is decorated.

Plus, I just realized, I'm working with a Greenleaf house. I totally forgot how thin the walls are. I used smaller eyelets, but I'm afraid the plugs will go through the wall and short out the wire. Guess I'll find that out next week.

Oh, yeah. I poked myself with the tester and blooded this house, too. *sigh*

On the bright side, I think I can order wallpaper for both the Arthur and the rest of what I need for the shadowbox this week. YAY!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

The Arthur is electrified! But not without a big bump along the way.

Oh, no!  I could certainly empathize when I read your story, and could imagine what you felt when you punched right through.  Wiring it my least favorite part of a build. Glad you were able to make it work. and hope it continues to work.

Oh dear Kelly. I would have been saying a few "magic" words!  :cry:  Anyway- hope things work out and the final stages of the project go well!

I am in the final stretch of my Colonial rehab....just working on a few last little details.  The worst being the stairs.  I fussed with them for hours/weeks trying to somehow coerce this leftover set of stairs from my stash to become stairs with a landing to work in the space.  Well, all was in vain.  :frusty:  Last nite I finally just got frustrated and tore them apart!  I dug around in my stash and found another, smaller, set of stairs....and while flimsy and in dire need of reinforcement, they fit the small space perfectly!  Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!  :cucumber:   So today starts the effort of rehabbing this little set of straight stairs into something sturdy enough for a play house.......

Helloooooo....:flowers:

we have arrived at the new house only to find ourselves camping out in the master bedroom while they finish our tile downstairs and in all the bathrooms and laundry room...its been an ordeal...and not over yet... I have a project that needs to be completed pretty quick so Ill have the hubby round me up a table and set up shop...if I can find all the stuffs I need...hopefully if the force was with me I put it all in the kit box...but thats convenient and rarely goes that way for me...I will know more when hubby gets home and can dig for stuffs...we are packed into the garage/Den/loft areas waiting for our floors to be done... I do have the Master shaping up. I can see my niche in my minds eye...

tell me those who work on carpet ways you keep from ruining it??:dunno:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nuttiwebgal said:

Helloooooo....:flowers:

we have arrived at the new house only to find ourselves camping out in the master bedroom while they finish our tile downstairs and in all the bathrooms and laundry room...its been an ordeal...and not over yet... I have a project that needs to be completed pretty quick so Ill have the hubby round me up a table and set up shop...if I can find all the stuffs I need...hopefully if the force was with me I put it all in the kit box...but thats convenient and rarely goes that way for me...I will know more when hubby gets home and can dig for stuffs...we are packed into the garage/Den/loft areas waiting for our floors to be done... I do have the Master shaping up. I can see my niche in my minds eye...

tell me those who work on carpet ways you keep from ruining it??:dunno:

Nutti, an office chair mat should work:

http://www.americanchairmats.com/chair-mats-for-carpeted-surfaces/

Venting here!  If I was the president of a company and I hired myself to get 22 embroidered shirts for our show this weekend, I would have had to fire myself!  Such a simple task has been needlessly turned into the only stressful part of putting on this Saturday's show.  The two owners of the t-shirt company that I'm using are so ingredibly inept with their management style that it is incredible that they are still in business. It will be a miracle if I have my 22 embroidered shirts by the end of business today. It took over a week to get our 3 inch club's name to not be the size of a dinner plate.  Some shirt sizes have been on back order for two weeks. One partner tells me one thing and the other tells me something else. I show up at the office to be told they are not in but when I say who I am all of the sudden they are in. While I'm there people are screaming at them over the phone. It's been hell. I just want my 22 shirts so I don't look like an idiot tomorrow when I am suppose to hand them out during setup.  It was my idea to get new shirts since some of them are over twenty years old. I'm going to be so embarrassed if I can't deliver.

3 hours ago, Sable said:

Venting here!  If I was the president of a company and I hired myself to get 22 embroidered shirts for our show this weekend, I would have had to fire myself!  Such a simple task has been needlessly turned into the only stressful part of putting on this Saturday's show.  The two owners of the t-shirt company that I'm using are so ingredibly inept with their management style that it is incredible that they are still in business. It will be a miracle if I have my 22 embroidered shirts by the end of business today. It took over a week to get our 3 inch club's name to not be the size of a dinner plate.  Some shirt sizes have been on back order for two weeks. One partner tells me one thing and the other tells me something else. I show up at the office to be told they are not in but when I say who I am all of the sudden they are in. While I'm there people are screaming at them over the phone. It's been hell. I just want my 22 shirts so I don't look like an idiot tomorrow when I am suppose to hand them out during setup.  It was my idea to get new shirts since some of them are over twenty years old. I'm going to be so embarrassed if I can't deliver.

So sorry Sable... what a nightmare. They sound like a professional outfit (she says sarcastically). The only advice I have is count to ten (maybe twenty:bigwink:) and breath. If you don't have shirts tomorrow. Send out a group text or email to members in the morning so they know to wear something they'd be happy in all day and take name tags, a marker and cupcakes instead. :)

I have the shirts!!!  Now I need to:

Touch up paint  my Betsy Ross house which is being raffled as a townhouse.

Start loading my husband's car with two dollhouses, a gazebo, floor plan with place cards, the shirts, miles (exaggeration) of sidewalk, street signs, emergency tools, extra landscaping, and a box of decorations for the "High Tea Room" Did I mention we are having a High Tea with vegan sandwiches so the vegans and others have something to eat in a pretty setting? The historically massive subs will still be available in another section. Hey, when they elected me president, I brought new ideas.  (It's been a little challenging shaking up a 39 year tradition)

We have gone all out this year with advertising. There is a write up of me in a local magazine. We are in all of the area newspapers and weekly's.  A train club is having their flea market down the road at the same time and I called them today to ask if we can hand out each other's brochures. He is happy to do so. 

So, I think all of the committees have done a great job and hopefully it will be a very successful show. Wish me luck, please.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sable said:

Did I mention we are having a High Tea with vegan sandwiches so the vegans and others have something to eat in a pretty setting? 

This is extra fabulous.  I love the whole idea of your village, which sounds awesome and like a lot of hard work, but I am married to a vegan, and this just puts it over the top.  :)  Kudos to you!  I hope you have a smashingly successful show!

On 2017-03-10 01:47:11, havanaholly said:

I have crossed my fingers & toes that your show will be a smashing success (not literally smashing,, you know what I mean).

What Holly Said Sable, Fingers and toes crossed!

over here the Steampunk house "nixed" the stone surrounding so those are Now gone. And we are Trying out something rather more odd shaped and in "plank" style:

large.IMG_0227.JPG.002c317e8567fc84cd208

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

It figures your steampunk house would have very strong opinions.

I know, why should it be Any different from the rest of ''em  huh?!? It is starting to take some sort of shape and form Now, I am free-handling it so far so we'll see what we end up with....

hugs

Yay, Sable! Glad you got your shirts!

On Monday, March 06, 2017 12:05:00, Debsrand56 said:

Oh, no!  I could certainly empathize when I read your story, and could imagine what you felt when you punched right through.  Wiring it my least favorite part of a build. Glad you were able to make it work. and hope it continues to work.

We'll find out this Sunday....I'm bringing over a couple of plugs to see how far through the walls they go.

On Thursday, March 09, 2017 5:52:02, jbnmini said:

Oh dear Kelly. I would have been saying a few "magic" words!  :cry:  Anyway- hope things work out and the final stages of the project go well!

I think I reached my million magic word mark last week.

Anyway, I did order some of the wallpaper and things I needed this week, so I may get a start on wallpapering. If that's the case, I might even have pictures up after that. It's so fun to spend literally hours on the computer searching for the one wallpaper you want to get.

OMG - someone is frying bacon and my nose is leading me away from the computer............

• Like 1

OK, forget the bacon. Today the HBS stuff came in and also the rug that I thought I was going to carpet the shadowbox living room with (now there's an awkward sentence). Anyhoo, I'm beginning to wonder if the rug is too bright for the room. I can't afford to get another one, so I guess it doesn't matter anyway. Here's a couple of pics of the living room:

120330Ksgqg5iZ.jpg.ec871637a8d5d9a1b68df

120447LNN25HMb.jpg.ea9e4ec9de848d912ed66

That chair has so much dust on it, I choked when I blew on it. I need to clean it up a bit and then the blue will be very vibrant. Believe it or not, I still plan to fit an end table (with lamp), a corner hutch, a small TV, and a radiator under the window in this room. Crowded? Nah.........

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

I'm glad you said that Heidi. Because I looked at the living room again about an hour ago and in the afternoon light, the rug looked orange!

The stripes in the wallpaper look more orange than the rug, on my monitor.  Once you've finished furnishing the room everything will look great.

Having the general ideas on how the pattern Will look for the flooring around the house We Now have to settle on coloration scheme as it wont work getting the cuts and Angles ok when the pieces are floating around just a tad, atleast not unless I have three extra hands to keep them in check...,

So, large.IMG_0250.JPG.41f44511befe047596c01Wood colours or should I go in shades of grey or even choose to go in Metallics?

1 hour ago, Anna said:

... it won't work getting the cuts and Angles ok when the pieces are floating around just a tad, at least not unless I have three extra hands to keep them in check...,

So, Wood colours or should I go in shades of grey or even choose to go in Metallics

Anna, can you get freezer paper in Sweden? It is white paper on one side with a plastic film on the other. If you were to arrange the pieces on the plastic film side, they might not float around as much as they do on smooth paper. Or cut cloth to fit the floor shape and arrange on the cloth? (I'm thinking elementary school flannel boards -- way low tech! :D 

As for color -- maybe audition paint on segments of paper or cardboard (rather than bits and pieces of wood) to see whether wood tones or metallics look better?

54 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Anna, can you get freezer paper in Sweden? It is white paper on one side with a plastic film on the other. If you were to arrange the pieces on the plastic film side, they might not float around as much as they do on smooth paper. Or cut cloth to fit the floor shape and arrange on the cloth? (I'm thinking elementary school flannel boards -- way low tech! :D 

As for color -- maybe audition paint on segments of paper or cardboard (rather than bits and pieces of wood) to see whether wood tones or metallics look better?

Don't Think freezer paper has made its way over here just yet, eventhough it sounds ever so versitile. A piece of flanell sounds perfect though, Thank you! I have also ordern a few more trim pieces in different widths to use as filmers here and there... it is so much fun free handling things like this, I have the organiserad cog wheel in My mind's eye when turning things around 

hugs

Well, today was sort of a bust. I brought my one sheet of wallpaper to Lisa's to see if we could scan it and print out the required 3 sheets. No such luck. Meantime, I have 2 sets of wallpapers with flooring to go with them (one set here, one to arrive) and I still haven't decided which set should go where (either the bathroom or the kitchen). Then there's the ceilings. I want to finish those before I wallpaper the walls and I can't do that until I buy the paint for the ceilings. And I can't buy the paint until the rest of my wallpaper comes in so I can color match it.

So all I did today was cut the beams for the Arthur's living room and kitchen.

However, I did find a fireplace for the Arthur. It fits the house like a charm and I'm going to paint it a cream color. Bless me Bespaq, for I will be sinning. I do believe the fireplace, although plain looking, is a Bespaq one. It has the taped mirror on the back and the price tag says $25.50 on it. Just the same, I'm going to paint it and replace the mirror with wood, maybe put another shelf on it. It had two curlicues, one on each side of the mirror, that I already took off (I didn't like them).

So my next order of business is to start cutting the baseboard and ceiling moulding to fit both the Arthur and the shadowbox. Then those will have to be stained and varnished, and also the flooring for the shadowbox living room and bedroom. Then I need to attach the beams to the Arthur ceilings and paint them. The Arthur staircase has to be painted and I need to rework some windows so they'll fit in the shadowbox. And then maybe some wallpapering.

So lots to do!

I started shingling the Cape May last night.  I had to quit.  I bought real slate shingles and unhappy with them.  I glued down a starter wood strip as usual to keep the angle correct on the rows.  Well, the slate is so brittle, any pressure on the shingle and it snaps.  I have broken several, including ones already glued on the house. There is just enough of a gap under the shingle, they break if any kind of pressure is applied - like laying the 2nd row!  I know now to not use the wood strip with the slate.

I thought this morning it would look better and I could move on . . . not so much.  I feel l need to cut my losses and use the slate on another, smaller project.  So I guess I am going to pull off the starter rows (all the way around the house!) and dye my wood shingles.  Ugh!  This was not a cheap lesson! :cry: