What's everyone working on?

3 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

I had thought a similar thing of not using the fireplaces because I have a couple of small standing fireplaces that are so cute I want to use them....I think!   Then, I am not using the rooms exactly as designated.   I have a grand piano I want to use for the music room.  So no dining room, an music room instead ( I almost always have a piano or other instruments in my houses).    Anyway,  I am glad you are that much ahead of me I might be picking your brain for help.  
I stained the first floor and already broke my own rule to not use real wood stain.  The odor kills me!    So the other floors will be paint stain instead.  That's as far as I have gone!
I am wondering at the moment how you leave out the fireplaces anyway?  I haven't gotten that far into the build yet to picture how it goes together let alone leaving something out!   :rolleyes:

Music room sounds great! Have a bit of a google around and of course on the message board here. The Fairfield is very popular so there have been many different takes on the house. I'm turning my stairs around and also putting in an additional set of stairs heading up to the attic. I've removed the hall way wall which separates that tiny foyer and the kitchen - really opens it up! I'm also not enclosing the tower as I'm making that section into the third floor hallway. 

Have a go at dry fitting without the fireplace piece and see if you like it : -) 

• Like 1

Its so hard for me to picture things until I have them right in front of me.  I guess I will have to wait and see how it comes out.   Isn't the chimney piece a main structural part of the whole house?   I did see someone's that had opened up the stair area on the first and second floors.  Very open and nice!     I would really like to see how you do that Scott! 

So..........the chimney piece is not a main supporting piece?    I will try it and see how I like it!

Deborah I love your wizard's room in the tower!   How neat is that?  The removable roof is brilliant!  

I see Holly, there are a lot of variations you can do.   I will be happy if I can get the dang thing together with the parts fitting as is!   lol   I have done easier houses and had parts left over so you just never know what will happen!  

• Like 2

I would think you would want to redesign your floors and make some kind of dividing wall to replace the chimney wall, since the second floor on that side has a cutout to slide down over the chimney, and the chimney wall does support that side of the house.

• Like 1

Well, last night I glued in another part of the Glencroft roof and basically stuccoed my house with glue. Along with moving the bedroom wall back and eliminating the window seat, I also cut off the top so that window would match the others. That was just to make it harder on myself.  Yes, I know I'm a masochist.

I'd like to know why the more I work on any house, the clearer the vision I have for it becomes, and the worse it looks.

And speaking of working on the house, remember that beam I cut for the Glencroft to hold up the bedroom end? I think I tossed it by mistake.

Let me ask something: is just looking at your dollhouse and thinking about it considered the same as working on it? :dunno:(say yes!)

3 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

...is just looking at your dollhouse and thinking about it considered the same as working on it? :dunno:(say yes!)

Why not?  And why did one awning frame go together obediently and every time I even look at the second one it self-destructs?  It is still in the gluing jig going on the second week.

• Like 1

Ok can someone tell me the exact measure measurement of the fireplace openings in the Fairfield?    I have the chance to buy a couple of fireplace frames that are so pretty but I need the exact measurements.  
I was up at 4:30 this morning ( with my dog) and decided as long as I was UP to go play with my dollhouse.   I stained the floors with wood stain.  I want to do the painting and staining as much as possible before I assemble because I know it will be impossible to get my hands inside after its all glued.  

Feeling excited now that I started!   :bear:

8 minutes ago, Roxxie2 said:

Ok can someone tell me the exact measure measurement of the fireplace openings in the Fairfield?    

The width of the "bump out" is 3".  The actual openings (at least on the downstairs fireplaces) are 1.75 inches wide and 1.5 inches high.  If you see something you love, go for it.  You can always modify the opening a little to fit.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

The width of the "bump out" is 3".  The actual openings (at least on the downstairs fireplaces) are 1.75 inches wide and 1.5 inches high.  If you see something you love, go for it.  You can always modify the opening a little to fit.

I am waiting for the seller to tell me the measurements it looks too big.  You are right, I can always fill in whatever shows on the inside from the "frame" of the fireplace.  Thanks Deb
Its just that I bought a couple of things lately that were described as "1:48 sale" and they weren't even close. 

16 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Why not?  And why did one awning frame go together obediently and every time I even look at the second one it self-destructs?  It is still in the gluing jig going on the second week.

Holly, we must have been twins separated at birth.

Last night I spackled the Glencroft. Note to everyone: while watching/listening to a movie on your computer wearing headphones, do NOT sit on your bed and spackle at the same time.

*mutter mutter laundry today mutter*

The Celerity wall box I got on eBay arrived today and I was going to use the wood for a porch for Bramble. Most of the wood is 3/8" thick. YAY! UN-fortunately, the entire back, which is the largest piece of wood in there, is somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4" thick, so I really can't use it anywhere. This type of thing is what leads me to wondering why I couldn't get fixated on a normal hobby, like raising parakeets.

• Like 2

Today I gave the Beacon Hill shingle panels a second coat of paint. They look much better now. They're ready for aging and installation, but I'm going to wait to age the entire building at one time, after all of the base colors are complete, and won't install them until I get the four windows finished and can dry fit the whole units.

Meanwhile, I've started a new thread in the Greenleaf houses forum. Beacon Hill: A Garden District Mansion I'll post updates there, but will be putting more detailed reports on my blog (link below)

Welp,  I started on the foundation to the Fairfield and already it gave me fits!   Not a great design or I am just use to making my own foundations.  I already had to cut some of my own foundation pieces so it would come out right........if it does!    Waiting for glue to dry..........

Later....I did it!

I am reorganizing the guest bedroom back into my workspace for minis.  Should finish the half timber that I was working on before company, but Grandson brought me 3D printed chair and coffee table for the half scale Fairfield which was never finished.

I sent the Grandson home with the suggestion he make me a 1:12 piece of his own design.  Will be fun to see what he comes up with.  He is concerned it won't go with any of my existing houses.

I also recently bought a huge 1:12 Duracraft FH505 Farmhouse kit at Goodwill (made the acquaintance of a fellow miniaturist also shopping for minis, but not for the house kit).  I dream about making just a porch vignette out of it first, then use other pieces for other houses.

So ready to get back to working on miniatures.

• Like 1

I have set the kit box on my workbench

I have opened the box and removed the pieces

I have run my fingers lovingly over the smooth wood and read the directions

I have returned the beautiful wood to the box and replaced the lid

I have no time to mini right now!   :cry:

1 hour ago, CheckMouse said:

I have set the kit box on my workbench

I have opened the box and removed the pieces

I have run my fingers lovingly over the smooth wood and read the directions

I have returned the beautiful wood to the box and replaced the lid

I have no time to mini right now!   :cry:

I have done the same thing.  Lol.  Just don't be like me and lose parts. Fortunately, I have the time just not the motivation. I do a few odds and ends but nothing substantial. 

• Like 1

hi yall, 

had to pop in in the midst of all the chaos...while cleaning out the Queen...I notices that my wonderful hardwood floors are coming up in places:rain:

anyone know of a way to restick it? lol....I have plans to replace all the carpeting but that was before I see that in 2 rooms the wood flooring is coming up...

on another note...even though we are in the move we are also awaiting the arrival of our granddaughter and the impending move for my daughters family in June, I purchased from Amazon 2 of those small room boxes in plexiglass for the babies...I figured they are small and all inclusive so I dont need my whole niche to work on them...and then if I am successful with the lighting, they can be used for nightlights...yes I know...another project...lol....:silly:

still havent found our new digs but not in a crunch to do so...so we shall keep packing...and be ready to go when it happens!

keep up all the awesome eyecandy...the 3-d printed chair in the gallery makes me want a 3d printer....lol

• Like 1

When I use the iron-on wood veneer strips I first lay a thin glue bead along the stickum side to hold them in place whilst laying them, then I hit that section of floor with the hot iron to melt the stickum, and none of them has so much as twitched.

I managed to get the chimney/fireplace unit all put together for my Fairfield this afternoon.  I am so grateful that some people have posted some excellent photos of theirs or I would not have gotten it.  I am now ready to work on the stairs. I hope that goes as well.   

• Like 1

Agh! Today was supposed to be the day to get my mojo back and work on the yellow house. I made ceiling templates for four of the rooms, put on a layer of wallpaper paste, then the textured paper. What a mess! It bubbled, it wrinkled, it buckled, and when I tried to smooth it out, the paper wrinkled. I have no idea what happened, maybe too much paste? I had done samples on smaller (much smaller) scraps, and it was fine. Now what? That was supposed to be the technique for ALL of the ceilings and walls. I'm going to try again using spray adhesive to attach the paper to the poster board.  

After fighting with the darned things for nearly a month the last awning frame succumbed quietly into compliance and I am waiting now for the glue to dry along the cutting lined for the pieces of the awning covers.  I don't think I'm gifted to build stores...

• Like 1

Well, I'm setting it all down for a while. Plan to keep working on the shingle prep for the studio, but the yellow house will have to wait. Our weather has been unusually warm, and the gardens are starting to come to life. Lots and lots of outdoor work to do before we hit spring, so...Maybe I can find my mojo working in the yard?  

both room boxes I ordered from Amazon have arrived....it is my hope to have at least the new baby's done before she gets here...but my house is in complete CHAOS and the niche is about 75% packed and stacked... these lil boxes are all inclusive but I still need my glue and xacto and scissors and tweezers...I will collect all these things and move them and the kits into one box to be started as soon as we get into our new place...they are soooooo cute...the boy one even came with a blue eyed blue haired lil boy...I will color in his eyes but I love the blue hair...go figure...lol....

it was hard to pack the Queen and to realise that if I cant get the floors to restick that we may be talking a total rehab...sigh:rain:

• Like 1

Happiness is:   Granddaughter is making her own miniatures!    :cloud9:

Now that she finally has the dollhouse she (and I) built here last summer, I am delighted to know that she is playing with it - and just sent me pictures this morning of a bed she made for it.  Of course, it's supposed to be a bakery shop, but it's hers so she can make it whatever she wants.  She's building memories - and I am so happy to see her taking an interest in making her own miniatures!

Grandma is doing a Happy Dance! :carrot:

• Like 6