What's everyone working on?

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Congratulations, Claudia!  Maybe she'll figure out she can play  with dollhouses as long as she lives, and will join us here one day.

Yes, and tell HER children/grandchildren about the dollhouse she had as a child, and Grandma's dollhouses, and how many she inherited ...  :bear:

• Like 1

I put the Celerity shadowbox together today.

I love that the wood is birch plywood and is beautiful on both sides. I love that I have no spackling to do. I hate that the sides were so warped.

This shadowbox has three rooms and five floors to nail in. I carefully - veeeerrrryyy carefully - measured each floor on both sided of the sides and nailed them in perfectly (OK, perfect to me can be subjective, but whatever). But when I stood the finished shadowbox up, it leaned! Like this: lean. And all the floors looked crooked.

So I hammered them down to look even. Well, it's not even 40 degrees outside (yes, I was doing this outside) - I wasn't going to take that thing apart again!

Anyway, I have 3 little rooms 5" x 8" and a room under the roof. Think I can fit a kitchen in 5 x 8? Wait a minute...my real kitchen is 5 x 8......

• Like 1

Kelly, now that's funny! Try again tomorrow?

My last kitchen was about 5x8...I could reach the stove, the fridge and the sink standing in the same spot! It was dark and ugly, but I learned a lot cooking in that tiny space! My current kitchen is more generous, but still old and small by today's standards.    

As I am home again with fever, coughing and a store throat and have all the time fleeting in and out between naps I got  an Idea but not sure it Will work or if there is such a thing, ie is there anyone who knows if there are narrow Halloween ribbons, apprx 3/16 or atleast less than 3/8? Prefferably in black/silver and/or black/orange combinations? 

Fever brain ideas can be a good thing, or not....

back to napping

Anna! Get well soon! I don't see why you couldn't find that. I see such a wide variety of ribbon these days. Might be harder to find in the spring, but I'd check ebay, etsy, etc.

I have an idea for the ceiling templates. I think one of the reasons my first try failed was because the textured paper had been tightly rolled, so wallpapering it to the flat poster board caused everything to buckle. New plan-paint the paper first, so it flattens out, then use spray adhesive to attach to the poster board. And rather than doing multiple pieces at once, I'll do ONE practice piece. I might also try to use the wallpaper paste again, but will use a foam roller, rather than a brush to apply it. I'm pretty sure my wallpaper paste was too thick and uneven when I did it the first time. I have to figure this out. Nothing else can happen with the yellow house until this gets solved. Well...ok, I could work on the floors, but still stuck on the floors, too.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Kelly, now that's funny! Try again tomorrow?

No, it's as put together as it's going to be. *sigh* Today I have a bunch of things to do and I have to pick up my new glasses. Tonight I may spackle a few places that need it (like on the floor where the hammer left divots as I was pounding the floors down), then tomorrow I may try priming it. It doesn't look like it's leaning so much anymore now that the floors have been evened up. I can't decide if getting new glasses will help or not. Yesterday, I was having trouble just hitting the nail into the wood because I couldn't see it very well and kept missing with the hammer (yes, I drive like this - give me a wide berth when you see me coming). Of course, I was upside down when I was trying to nail in those ^&*%$s. I had been wearing an extra loose T-shirt and now that I think about it, I was sure getting a lot of attention when I was doing that. I thought people were admiring the shadow box. Maybe they were admiring something else......

Anna, fever brain ideas are the best kind. Feel better soon!

• Like 2

*laugh* + aww at the same time at your story, Kelly. (Also, love that teeny mouse in your signature!)

Me, I'm borrowing a friend's Silhouette Cameo machine and trying out cutting fabric with it using freezer paper instead of fusible lining. It will hopefully save me a *lot* of tedious cutting of tiny squares and rectangles for my mini quilting.

• Like 1

Kelly, I am leaning towards that fever brain is Ok thinking outside the Box so to speak... having time on My hands and not have a LOT of energy to do anything much I trend to browse eBay amongst other sites and yesterday I stumblrd upon something neat, ie allloy nail decor items so teeny tiny 3D thingies purr-fect for one of the fever-ideas including the tiny trim. We'll see if it works out as I have invisioned when it arrives...

hugs

SO I have this idea for an alternate Christmas tree and want to use something different for tinsel and were wondering if someone has used something like the bead string on the attached Picture? It says it is 2 mm (apprx 3/32' I am guesstimating) and it has an interesting look to it: So any and all ideas on this would be much appreciated. Still have a fuzzy brain and not sure if I read and see this correclty

large.589c48783cc2f_orangeknottedbeading

On 2/7/2017, 3:37:44, CheckMouse said:

Happiness is:   Granddaughter is making her own miniatures!    :cloud9:

Now that she finally has the dollhouse she (and I) built here last summer, I am delighted to know that she is playing with it - and just sent me pictures this morning of a bed she made for it.  Of course, it's supposed to be a bakery shop, but it's hers so she can make it whatever she wants.  She's building memories - and I am so happy to see her taking an interest in making her own miniatures!

Grandma is doing a Happy Dance! :carrot:

I always played with my mom's dollhouse as a little girl and have many memories of it, but it was very old and my daughter never got a chance to play with it. Last winter I bought my first dollhouse to rehab and a month later I found out I was going to be a grandma. Our little Ava was born 5 months ago and as I am working on rehabbing this one, all I can picture is Ava playing with it like I did my mom's.  Best thing in the world is being a Grandma. I honestly didn't think it would be such a wonderful feeling. 

• Like 1

Think I have round a New Love for mini supplies, ie alloy nail art thingies. :cloud9: I have used the rhinstone nail arts earlier but the alloy ones, well needless to say I Will have some tiny packages coming in the mail over the next few weeks....

hugs

• Like 1

We seem to be having an early spring so I took all my wallpapers that I have designed and printed up outside to spray.   Then I started staining the stairway.   I know you won't see most of it but I decided to do a full job of it anyway.  I have to say, so far I am really enjoying this little house.  Now I know why the Fairfield is so popular.   Its just cute!

HELP!!!   Can anyone give me a tip on how to get those teeny tiny stairs started?   I do not have a vice or anyway to hold them up while gluing on the first riser. Its impossible!  
Getting frustrated with it!  Thanks :cry:

6 minutes ago, Roxxie2 said:

HELP!!!   Can anyone give me a tip on how to get those teeny tiny stairs started?   I do not have a vice or anyway to hold them up while gluing on the first riser. Its impossible!  

Hmm, lego parts to big I suppose, Otherwise I am very partial to masking tape and bits of trim to hold the tape against too.

Sorry no help really...

Hugs and good luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxxie2 said:

I'm trying to remember what I did.  It seems to me that I may have put the pieces in the slots of the foundation (but not glued in) while building the staircase, because in a blog I read that it was a good idea to build in place.  I do also use Legos, and have a few of those little nano Legos left over from building a tiny dinosaur.  They are great for gluing little half-scale pieces at a right angle.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017‎ ‎4‎:‎57‎:‎44‎, Anna said:

SO I have this idea for an alternate Christmas tree and want to use something different for tinsel and were wondering if someone has used something like the bead string on the attached Picture? It says it is 2 mm (apprx 3/32' I am guesstimating) and it has an interesting look to it: So any and all ideas on this would be much appreciated. Still have a fuzzy brain and not sure if I read and see this correclty

large.589c48783cc2f_orangeknottedbeading

Anna, is this for a 11 Christmas tree, or a mini one?  Get well soon.

6 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

Don't cry, dear heart.  Do you have a box lid, like to a box of copier paper, that you can back the stringer into?  Then you collect up all the small bottles in your pantry to use to hold the treads in place whilst they dry.

• Like 1

On Wednesday, February 08, 2017 12:44:12, MooiGray said:

*laugh* + aww at the same time at your story, Kelly. (Also, love that teeny mouse in your signature!)

Awww, thanks. I adopted him when I had to do a PowerPoint presentation for a class once. At the end, I had the little mouse running and pulling "Rodentraiser Productions" behind him. It got a good laugh.

I wish I had a brain fever idea today.

I forgot I was out of spackle. So instead of spackling last night, I decided to cut some 1/8" wood and fill in a gap.

The back of the shadow box is only 1/8" thick. Why? Who knows. Every other piece of wood in this kit is 3/8". Anyway, this wouldn't be a problem if I spaced the floors evenly to the top of the sides like you're supposed to. Do I need to tell anyone I didn't do that?

There's a triangular piece to put on the front under the roof. I put it on the back under the roof to make one more room, and to make that room larger, I dropped the top floor down a little bit for some extra headroom under the roof. That means the back of this top floor room consists of a wall that is 3/8" thick on top (the triangle) and 1/8" thick on the bottom (the top part of the back wall). Last night I aimed to fill in that 1/8" wood to make it match the triangle,

I threw a burrito into the oven and had at it. Forty minutes later I actually had two pieces of wood to fill in for the 18" back of the shadowbox, three bloody splinters in my hands, and a burnt burrito in a pear tree. Inedible.

I also took a look at the box from the side. Now that I've evened up the floors, it no longer leans from one side to the other. Viewing it from the front. But viewing it from the side, the shadow box looks like it's leaning forward.

I think I'm going back to bed. See y'all.

• Like 1

Well I didn't have much to work with so I hot glued the top and bottom risers and then filled in the rest.   Then I carefully removed the top and bottom ones from the hot glue ( I only used a dot) and glued those.   It is what it is a little crooked but it will work.  :)

I thought backing the stringer against two adjacent sides of the box would stabilize it enough that small bottles would prop your treads in place whilst the glue dried.  It sounds like you found  way that works.

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Anna, is this for a 11 Christmas tree, or a mini one?  Get well soon.

Don't cry, dear heart.  Do you have a box lid, like to a box of copier paper, that you can back the stringer into?  Then you collect up all the small bottles in your pantry to use to hold the treads in place whilst they dry.

It is for a mini tree, have finally found bott a white, one, a silver one and a black one so am going to play with those in different ways, ie one (or two) Will be inspired by Halloween...

I bought a Canterbury kit on a whim. Probably paid too much and don't have any plans at all for it. BUT...it is kind of a neat little house. It'll go in the pile with the rest of the "someday"'s. And I need to take all of the tape off of the Franklin. It's been dry fitted for months, and it, too, will have to wait for another day. And it's taking up significant floor space in my work area.  

Meanwhile, still no mojo. I bought a few older pieces of furniture off of ebay...lovely, nicely finished, but when put in the yellow house, have totally changed my vision for some rooms. Now what? I'll box them up and go back to the clean slate. And I have done NOTHING to any of the houses. Nada.

I'm having some significant work stressors right now, so everything is off. Can't seem to cut or sand or paint anything at all without it going into the trash. Maybe I'll step away from the work bench for a bit, clean and organize the work room, clean and organize the house while I wait for the dust to settle at work? Usually I find great calm and peace working on minis, but not right now, it just seems to make everything worse.