1/2" Scale Kitchen Set

ItzKathyP

i'm attempting to make my own custom fit kitchen....attempting is the key word here :D most bought ones do seem chunky and that sdk one is fab but above my budget :p

Holly...is that an aga type stove? i have a mattel metal one but i dont like it for this kitchen

heres 2 wall shelves i've done so far...so small!!! my eye still hasnt grasped the scale yet :D

Edit....i'm on a roll and attempting the Aga stove...had to share this.....2 googly doll eyes for the tops :yes: should look ok once i paint them...perfect size :yay:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok i need advice now.....still struggling with eyeballing the scale....does this look right? :D

constructive criticism more than welcome!!! i want to get this right!!!! :yes:

They offer kitchens in 1", 1/2" and 1/4".
I emailed M & R Miniatures & received back pics of a WONDERFUL kitchen, that can be customized so you get just the pieces you need. The set is just beautiful - somewhat in the style of the SDK kitchen. Haven't got prices yet & hope it's affordable. I like that it's unfinished.

And speaking of beautiful....Linda, I can't believe you made that set yourself. It looks terrific! Wish I were brave enough to do it.

Stoves are set on frames on the floor to bring the top level with the countertops, and the frame is faced with a panel that matches the fronts of the cupboards. Kathleen, there is no law that makes you not TRY to make your own kitchen or other furniture/ accessories/ appliances, and if they don't turn out, neither are there laws requiring you to give up nor to show what doesn't turn out.

I'm going to try making some things but would love to have the kitchen in particular look special for my special Fairfield. I know it's very satisfying to make something yourself, but for me just completing this house is a satisfaction in itself. I've only got the roofs and the 2 bay windows to install before at least the basic construction is finished, and that's a cause for celebration for me, since this will be the first house I've finished.

Black snaps work well for stove burners. They come in several sizes so I'm sure one of the sizes would fit. I made a 1/12 scale stove with snaps and they look like real burners. I also used a large black snap for the exhaust fan and added a pull string.

i'm using balsa wood...not sure if its the same name there...easy to cut and its not like its going to get any rough usage..... i get it at the craft shop they have all different widths...the smaller the better :)

I'm familiar with balsa wood - particularly for use in building model airplanes. On this forum I've heard many people speak of basswood and wonder if they're the same thing. There's a model airplane shop close to me. I might check to see if they carry very thin balsa wood. Who knows - I may try my hand in building a piece of furniture. As Holly said, you just toss out all the projects that turn out awful before anyone sees them :)

Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, Hobbytown USA and Utrecht's all carry basswood (because I've bought it in all those places). The furniture kits are made with basswood. Real hardwoods with a fine, tight grain are also lovely to use for furniture.

Balsa is fine if you are going to cover it with something, but it is really soft and not good for detailed work. Basswood is a bit harder and doesn't tear or dent as easily.

dang!! maybe back to the drawing board then... :) stupid 1/2 scale :horse:

dang!! maybe back to the drawing board then... :) stupid 1/2 scale :horse:

I'm sure it will be fine. I made my cabinets and refrigerator from balsa and they haven't fallen apart or anything. Just don't plan on any intricate carving and bevels because this stuff WILL come apart on you.

The bass wood in HL is in strips, panels and sticks, up to an inch thick, 6" wide and sometimes 4 feet long! They also sell a bag of assorted bass wood at Michael's for $5.

Thanks, Lyssa. The only basswood I found at Michael's was in blocks for carving, which is why I asked how HL sells it. Unfortunately, Michael's is 5 min from my house & HL is an hour, wouldn'tcha know. If I can get energized somehow I might just go up there today. The more I think of it, the more I wonder if I actually could make some kitchen cabinets.