1/2" Scale Kitchen Set

ItzKathyP

Kathleen, I took a picture to show you what I was talking about. At our Micheal's it is hanging up just before the model stuff and the balsa wood... along with hand saws and miter boxes... the pic is in my gallery. I am over limit for thread pics. :) Hopefully, this will help you out a bit! And, it's what I used to make the kitchen counter in my coventry cottage.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to HL & bought a bunch of basswood! Now am so excited to give kitchen cabinets a try!!

At our Micheal's it is hanging up just before the model stuff and the balsa wood...
Thanks Lyssa. I only found it in large chunks the last time I looked, but if I run out I'll run down there & look for it.

Emily, this is one of my favorite places! I just got an order of quarter round & corner angles, but was hoping to find a basswood source here to satisfy my need for "instant gratification." :)

OK, everybody, I'm stoked - my very first attempt at building something from scratch. :) Here's the beginning of a 1/2" stove:

post-2625-1280892532.jpg

Basswood is really fun to work with. Can't wait to finish this (I have a few interesting ideas for it), but may not make more progress until this weekend, as I have to work Wednesday through Friday.

Actually, I liked the green, Linda - but your pieces are so well done they'll look good in any color. I can't believe I just ordered that same "tile" patterned floor for my Fairfield kitchen!

Looking good, Kathleen! A very yhin coat of spackle to cover the "seams" where the wood pieces join, sand it smooth, prime with gesso and slap a coupld of coats of high-gloss paint on it to look like porcelain-finish, and you're so good to go!

I love to use the little lock washers with "teeth" for gas burners.

Thanks, Holly! I needed the finishing information. I've got an idea about burners but am keeping it to myself for now in case it doesn't work out. More to come this weekend...

BTW, what is gesso??

• 5 weeks later...

I'm wanting the answer to that also. That is just a beautiful set. I made a stove myself, HOWEVER, now that GL has come out with a 1/2" scale kitchen set, I'm going to look at that one first before I make any decisions.