Whew, what a way to spend my day off!

A couple of days ago, I decided I HAD to do something to get my RL house back, and yet be able to continue to display and enjoy my minis. I wandered out to the garage and stared at several large shelf units I had out there (totally full of stuff) and decided they would do nicely. I spent all day clearing those shelves and re-arranging the garage (looks MUCH better!) and then I brought them into my den and set them up. Surprisingly, they look great and I was able to house 23 of my minis (houses and a few room boxes). The best thing is that even the rehab houses that I haven't gotten to yet look nice stored on the shelves and I can leave them there until I have time to work on them. The larger houses don't, of course, fit on the lower shelves but I was able to put one large house on top of each shelf unit, so the 3 large houses that no longer take up floor space look nicer than they did before. What really surprised me was how much more attractive my minis were when they were grouped as a collection. The success of this project was a huge relief to me, and I think I may take a look at other areas of my house and see if I can do this in some other rooms as well. I used those heavy-duty plastic shelf units that you can buy most places, and the ones I had are a good color match for the room I put them in. I must confess . . . I did take my 4 largest "to be rehabbed" houses out to my garage. I know it isn't normally recommended, but these are massive and I do have a nicely insulated garage (plus the temperatures are fairly moderate here right now). I don't think I'll have to keep them out there long - I have some other RL house re-vamping ideas going as well. Of course . . . I still have houses stashed in my living room, kitchen, bedroom, and guest bedroom (LOL!!!)

Rhonda, I sure wish I had a place to put all of mine together, besides in my playroom! However, until all the grands get a little older, it's probably the safest place for them.

It really sounds neat, please take photos! you are absolutely right, collections are more impressive and complement each other when grouped! (that's why I put my dirty laundry collection on the same spot in the bedroom :flowers: )

And the pictures are.....where?.....?

Sounds like it is coming together well for you! Wish I had that sort of area... Hmmm, gives me an idea! My dad always had millions of books, and each time we moved he'd have to build shelves to house them all. So I could just take over a wall and build shelves made to measure for my houses! Oh, good idea! :flowers: Thanks Rhonda! (Now just gotta find and afford a RL house.....)

What a clever idea, Rhonda! I'm glad it worked out so well. You have such a nice collection.

I admit that I really hate putting up shelves, but when I consider the possibilities..... Goodness me, I could build more houses than I anticipated! And not take away any of the lounge spots that the cats love so much.

Sounds Wonderful !!!

I built a 7 foot tall X 7 foot long shelf last year to put my dollhouse kits and totes on.... Well, I have seriously thought of sectioning it off a little more to put my houses, so they are Not all on one shelf... and they are at different levels... seems more interesting to me anyway... so that is my thought as soon as I clear out some of this stuff.!!

I would Really LOVE to see your photos... we all need ideas.!!!

Kellee

Funny...it must either be the time of year or the weather- but I started to clean up

and rearrange my bedroom where I do all my work,last night.I consolidated many tiny/medium/large boxes full of "stuff",tore up boxex and removed junk.Stashed boxes

of projects neatly under my desk,along with tools and bits of wood/cardboard etc. Still have work to do but it looks better.Hmmmmm...that shelf thing sounds interesting! :p

I'm glad you all like the idea. I can't believe how much roomier and open the room looks now with the upright display, instead the houses spread here & there. I will post pictures soon, but I would like to get a few of the houses out of obvious "needs rehab" mode first. Honestly, if I had known what a difference this would make, I would have done it ages ago. To give you an idea how well this works, I can tell you this: in this average size room, I currently have: (1) the Granville by Artply, which is a very large house, (2) the Thornhill by RGT (a HUGE house), (3) my custom-built Mexican hacienda - another very large house, (4) the Victorian Farmhouse by RGT - yet another large house, and on the shelves: 2 large scratch-built houses, 1 Orchid, 1 half-scale Swiss chalet, 1 Post Office (1:12), 5 Quarter scale houses, 1 modular dollhouse, 2 novelty dollhouses, 2 roomboes, 1 Sylvanian Cottage, 1 half-scale Pennsylvania Dutch house, and 1 Noah's Ark with all the animals and accessories. This has worked so well, I am thinking about changing some of my other rooms around to accomodate more of this type of shelving.

Sounds like a miniaturist's dream come true!

I have a metal shelving unit down in the basement - it used to house the children's toys and books, but I have since filled it with boxes of mini supplies, mini furniture, etc. I have my two Arthur dollhouse and a tin dollhouse sitting on the top shelves. Not the spectacular display that you've come up with, Rhonda ... but it proves that we do all think alike (in some ways). :D Can't wait to see some pics!!

I'm glad you all like the idea. I can't believe how much roomier and open the room looks now with the upright display, instead the houses spread here & there. I will post pictures soon, but I would like to get a few of the houses out of obvious "needs rehab" mode first. Honestly, if I had known what a difference this would make, I would have done it ages ago. To give you an idea how well this works, I can tell you this: in this average size room, I currently have: (1) the Granville by Artply, which is a very large house, (2) the Thornhill by RGT (a HUGE house), (3) my custom-built Mexican hacienda - another very large house, (4) the Victorian Farmhouse by RGT - yet another large house, and on the shelves: 2 large scratch-built houses, 1 Orchid, 1 half-scale Swiss chalet, 1 Post Office (1:12), 5 Quarter scale houses, 1 modular dollhouse, 2 novelty dollhouses, 2 roomboes, 1 Sylvanian Cottage, 1 half-scale Pennsylvania Dutch house, and 1 Noah's Ark with all the animals and accessories. This has worked so well, I am thinking about changing some of my other rooms around to accomodate more of this type of shelving.

Oops, I knew I forgot one . . . I also have a Harrison in this room.

Like your shelf idea. My son just gave me a very large, 3 piece entertainment centre. The large middle section is closed by two doors that slide into the sides of the cabinet. The two side units each have 5 deep shelves, that will be perfect for my houses and room boxes. The center unit is large enough to house the Glouchester (when I build it), and in the meantime I can put all my working clutter in there and just close the doors. two deep drawers, and one extra big one hold all the foam board etc. I work on the table, and this entertainment centre is just a couple of feet away. I was thrilled to get it! He was just as pleased, since he bought a new system for himself, and this was in the way. It's really massive, and looks so neat and tidy, I can hardly believe it.

whooohoooo! :D